Tips for camping in rain

BigPig

Very Active Member
I'm leaving tomorrow for 6 days of javelina and deer bowhunting. Looks like we'll have some rain to contend with. What do you guys do to make the experience more comfortable? We have plenty of tarps and I've got a good tent. Also have a cabana thing for a common area. I'll dig a good trench around my tent and try to put it on some higher ground. Anything else? Yes, I've got good rain gear.

If your going to be where it is muddy, take some pine/wood chips (big ones, not the little sawdust ones). If you are around Flagstaff, get some sandbags filled with cinders. Lay this stuff around the entrance to your tent, your cooking area, and anywhere else it might get pretty muddy. This will help remove the mud from your shoes and keep your tent clean.

Good tip sremin.

I was going to suggest an old area rug, or piece of outdoor carpet to put in front of your tent (under a tarp) to wipe your feet on, etc.. I have a 5X8 rug that I keep in my pop-up trailer for this reason, and it works out great.

Good luck & stay dry! I'll be in 36C chasing pigs & deer this weekend!!!

S.

:)

A good fire is always nice, so bringing the wood pre-split and dry is better than walking through the rain to find a soaked stick to burn. A heater for the tent. Playing cards. Have a good hunt, guys.

Doug /RedRabbit

We always throw in a couple bales of straw and walk on that at the tent openings.
Makes a muddy area down right nice.

If you have a generator, bring it along with a hair drier. Even good rain gear is pretty soaked on the outside after a long day in the rain. This past year, I stayed dry, but the outside of my rain parka soaked up so much water and melted snow it felt like it weighed about 8 pounds when I put it on the next morning. The drier will help you dry out your boots, too. And of course, you can make sure your hair looks good for your trophy photos ;-) If you don't have a generator, bring a clothes line to hang under your "cabana thing".

Good Luck,

WH

sort out anything cotton and leave it behind. then remove all heavy weave wool. in this warm Arizona area, take fleece and poly and light wool. then bring a way to build big fires each night to dry out your carcass...

This sounds dumb, but take along a small foldup umbrella to set up under when you are glassing on stand, or when it pours like it will tonight.

and lastly, a trick form Alaska hunting in wet: wear hip boots and you can cross the washes and wade through the damp brush with out getting soaked. a poncho, anorak, or raincoat top with hippers is a pretty funky way to look, but an OK way to stay dry.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom