Tips on Correct broadhead flight

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
With all the talk here on the MM about broad head flight vs. your regular tips. I thought I would post a combination that hasn't let me down. The last three years I have been using a Gold tip 5575 pro hunter's, tipped with a Wac?em 100 grain broadhead's, finished off with blazer vanes or 3? vantec vanes.

I believe you need to start off with the straightest shaft you can afford for broadheads. Here is where it can get tricky. If you have a longer than 29? draw you will need the Pro?s if you want consistency in you shafts. If you have a shorter draw than 29? you can purchase the cheaper shafts and cut off which ever end is more crooked. Just look at how it spins on an arrow spinning devise. There isn't any difference in the arrow shafts other than how they group them by weight and straightness. A few grains different on you hunting shaft wont make too much difference on a deer?s vitals at bow hunting ranges.

Next I like to use a fixed blade broadhead's with a cut on contact tip. I use only enough weight to have proper spine on my arrows according to Gold tips charts. A 100 grain tip for my 27? arrow.

Finally I like the Vantec Vane or blazer vanes and blazer wraps. They are very durable and look awesome! If you shoot a whisker biscuit fletching eating devise they will stand up to the abuse this rest will dish out.

I have my wac'em broadheads grouping with my field tips out to 80 yards. I also know of a few guys that are shooting the new Wac'em 4 blade broadheads out to a 120 yards through a shooting machine and they are grouping with their field tips. "This is only for testing purposes".

So Wac'em with Wac'ems if your bow is tuned properly these tips will act the same as field tips!

My 2006 and 2005 bucks had full pass troughs long ways through the deer. First buck was facing me at 18 yards and I pushed the head out through his nuts, 20 yard track job.

The second one was facing away at 22 yards I picked a spot where I would not hit bone on the hind quarter and pushed it out through his shoulder on the opposite side. This is not a shot I would reccomend but I new I could pull it off. The deer fell 35 yards away in sight.

2007 buck was little easier 5 yard shot on ground level and full broadside pass through on the deer and nearly a tree next to the deer. The deer was on the run down hill when I shot it so it went a little further 80 or so yards.

My wac?em tips have hit bone on every deer in the last 3 years and have all stayed together. I still use one of these broadheads to check accuracy with my field tips.

With a good quality fixed blade broadhead and a well tuned bow and arrow combination you should only have to shoot one or two arrows to determine that your heads are flying like your field tips.

Good luck on your hunt and next time give these heads, arrows, and vanes a try you will be amazed how well they perform together!

Here is a photo of my 2007 bucks wound with a Wac'em 100 grain tip and a Gold Tip Pro hunter 5575 arrow with Blazer vanes. Deadly combination!

46cb08694eaee9f4.jpg

46cb12a114277028.jpg

Yes! I use a Trophy Taker
I love this rest it has performed flawlessly on pop up speed round competition courses as well as on spots in Vegas. In hunting you can still walk around with your arrow on your rest because it has a rest holder. I really like how easy it is to tune your bow with this rest. I never have to worry about fletching contact.
The way you see my bow in the picture is the same set up as what I use for competition My LX is a hard bow to put down.

Nice buck! That sounds like a great shooting combination. Have you had any problems getting the Blazers to stick to your shafts or wraps? What glue are you using? I have tried severasl different glue combos with my Blazers and have not found one that sticks well enough to go hunting with me. I am shooting 3" Vanetecs this year, with a 5575 Pro Hunter and Sonic 100's.

I use Fast Fletch for my vanes. It bonds in seconds and you have to destroy your vane to get them to come off.

Vane Tec Vanes are probably the easiest to get to stick to Gold Tip arrows. I don't even clean them I just glue them to the shaft.

I like the look of the Blazers better though and some times that can give you more confidence. I am kind of superstitious that way.

If you do a search on my user name I have posted several tips on tuning your arrows. These tips are as critical as tuning your bow. If you follow them they will make you a better shooter. I learned them from Tim Gillingham a Mathews pro shooter and gold tip pro shooter. Tim won over 100,000 dollars last year in competition.

Congrats on a beautiful buck. Thanks for the info. I shoot rocket ultimate steel 100s' and have killed a couple now since switching to them . I was actually going to try a new broad head but just cannot bring myself to do it , no reason too. These also fly like my field points and have awesome wound channels...If the wagon ain't broke , don't fix it eh...Again congrats on a great buck and thanks for sharing it...Larry

swbuckmaster, can you post a link to some of the tuning items you posted?

I was not able to find them with the search.

Archer

WE need to talk Scott.... about my set-up some day.

Nice post. and Obviously, NICE BUCK.... 5 yds... dang man, you should have steerwrestled that thing to the ground!

Midnight

I shoot Gold Tip Pros and a 100 gr Wac-em too. I have 3" Vanetec though. Complete pass through on my buck this year from 44 yards. He went 50 yards and tipped over.

Gary I will have a look at your setup sometime. We also need to get you to come to some of the archery shoots after the season gets over. You will get hooked on them as well.

I can't wait to see the pictures of you holding one of the bucks you are hunting I know at least two of them are bigger then mine.

I might have some time this week to go after elk if you are up for it. I just don't know what day?s I will be able to do it yet. My ten year anniversary is this week.

I have a question about Dynamic spine. I understand the testing process but have never done it.

So, if you change nock positions on unfletched arrows to find the right dynamic spine AND I want to shoot a ##### vane up which with my fletching jig requires me to spin my knock how do you do this?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Archer

Archeryelk I am not sure I understand your question. I haven't seen a fletching jig that requires you to just spin your nock. My Bitznburger jig spins both nock and arrow at the same time. If this is how your jig works than look at your nock it has a little tab on one side. I like to mark that tab with a black marker and also mark the shaft with a black mark in the same spot. This way if my nock gets shot off in a tournament I can put another nock right back on. I use pin nocks for tournaments so they can take a beating without doing much to the shaft. This saves a lot of money over the year because I have some arrows that have been hit up to six times and are still shooting great.
Now when I bought my Bitznburger it came with a nock receiver with a certain degree offset. I had to go to cabalas and find the correct nock receiver that would put my ##### vane in the up position perpendicular to the back of the nock. This was pretty hard because the cabalas staff had no idea what I was talking about.

46d4513e1d20c6be.jpg

This is the nock receiver I have now. They are about 15.00 dollars if it didn't come with the one you wanted.

Hope this answered your question

We are using the same jig. When you put on the ##### vane it is WAY off from where it needs to be (up). So, after fletching you have to spin.

Guess I would need to change the receiver. To late for this fall.

Archer

Yes I know what your talking about! It's the receiver I had the same problem. When you fletch your arrows, the vanes were slightly twisted off two one side. I would have to twist the nock so my ##### vane was up after I fletched my arrows. The Bitzenburger comes with a receiver that is for fingers it applies the ##### vane so it is out instead of up. I went to every pro shop in salt lake and Utah County and they all looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I finally found a receiver at cabalas that worked.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom