Tire Chains Questions

gznokes

Very Active Member
A few questions about tire chains. I need to get some tire chains. They would be used my 4Runner mostly in the hills when it gets slick and icy. I'd also like the set to be used if needed on the highway.
1. Do any of you have recommendations about that kind to get?
2. Are cable chains adequate for off road?
3. How often do you need to chain up all four tires vs just getting by with chains on two tires?
4. If I only have chains for 2 tires should I put one on a front tire and one on the back?
5. are there any tire chains that are easier than others to put on and off?
6. Any other tips for dealing with tire chains would be appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-12 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]Look at the RUD Grip 4x4. Easy to put on. Just got a couple pairs for my new Rubicon. Haven't tried them yet but they went on easy. Tirechaindealer.com I think is where I got them. If you are going to use one set for wheeling I usually put them on the front but I'm sure there are lots of guys who will tell you to put them on the back. Really you need two sets for front and back or you slide all over hell if you need chains. One set is the lazy man's way out in my experience.

Chains no cables.
If your only gonna use one pair they go on the front for stearing.I always carry 2 sets when i go in the mountains and have needed them many times over the years.

Definately put them both on the same axle (not front and back) if you have only one set. If only have one set, they help more in the front for two reasons: More weight up front and steering.

HOWEVER: many newer trucks owners manual say not to use them on the front because you may break brake lines that are too close. Stupid designers! Build a 4x4 truck that you can't put chains on! What is the world coming to!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Like tx said!

Don't put one Chain on the front & one on the back!

I'll Guarantee if you do which two Tires won't Spin!

I have removed a few Brake lines in my day!

But I've always built my Chains out of Heavy Semi Chains!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Another question I forgot to ask is if people have an opinion about chain configuration? When I get online I see a ladder configuration and a diamond configuration.
Again, Thanks to all for the replies. It's very helpful

Ladder formation is the most common type. Chains over cables, a rocky, slick road will destroy cables quickly. Chains up front if you only have one set.

I have a Toyota and I never put chains in the back. Most times it seems that the only thing better than a set of chains up front would be skis, it goes too well with just one set.
Somebody mentioned tirechaindealer.com, good place to buy em. There always seems to be a lot on KSL as well.

The only time you will really need two sets is if the mud is so thick your tires treads gum up. Without a set in front and back you will fish tail without some in the back.

I have literally taken a truck chained up in front and back through 3 feet of snow. We were pushing snow with the front of the truck. This would only work with if the snow is still pretty fresh.

Pookie, that would be another great topic--talking about places you've been w chains. I remember a time w my Dad going up a rd through a few feet of fresh snow. It got so steep that the other rigs had to turn back and all that lay beyond was fresh untracked country. With the old Bronco chained on all 4s it was a great feeling to just blow up that mtn side!

http://www.tirechains.com/

Expensive, but, you can get exactly what you want.

I have bought several sets of chains here, and even though you can sometimes find them cheaper at a auto parts store, these you can select for the type of driving you will be doing.

Good advice from the others. L lived in the Eastern Sierra for 15 yrs at 8,000 ft. Last year I was there, we got 55 ft of snow for the season. I worked in public safety, so I had to be out in any weather at any time of day. In all that time, I only put chains on the vehicle I drove about about 12 times. Almost always on the front. Black ice was a lot worse than snow, but pretty rare at that elevation. Rud and P-wags were by far the best. They are more of the diamond pattern. I have also used ladder chains and cable chains, but was not impressed. This was mostly on paved roads. I have had occassion to chain all four tires on muddy roads like you encounter in Wyoming. They really have some mud out there.

I'll only address #1 and #3 as everyone has been spot on w/everything. But, I'll throw something in about tires.

I was out in the middle of BF-Colorado, right after 2 feet of snow. My buddy didn't want to put chains on and we slid off the road. Lesson #1, Don't be lazy...put chains on before you need them, where they are easy to put on and you'll never need them. Chains are a female dog to put on when you are stuck in a mud ditch, put them on on a flat road and you won't wind up in the mud ditch. OK, I digress...A guy in a Jeep showed up. He was driving around like there was nothing special to it. He'd made his own special chains. He took the cross/ladder chains off and moved em one link closer together. They are normally 4 links apart and he moved em to 3 links. W/4 links, it is feasibly possible to have your tire positioned so that you do not have a cross-chain on the ground...w/the 3 link setup, you can have 2 cross links on the ground. He had them on the front and the rear... I have since made my own set.

ON your FourRunner, If you can't put chains on the front...you are pretty much wasting your time. Now I've seen 2wd trucks go all over the place w/chains on, in the back (or w/one set in the front, in order to steer) but, if you need 4wd to get there, when dry...you need em on the front when it gets bad.

My friend, above, had a Tacoma or Tundra. In order to get chains on the front, he had to go to a thinner tire in order to get chains on the front. The current trend on trucks is a wide tire...It looks cool on the street, but doesn't work in mud and snow. What you want in snow and mud is tall and thin, like a 235/85 16, or 33x9.50-15 (these tires are pretty much the same size). If you have a tire fatter than 10.5 or 245mm wide, it is too wide.

The only place that you want a wide tire is the sand.

For every you inch that you go taller, you have to go 2" wider to gain the same amount of surface area, on the ground.

I was told the last two things by a guy who professionally builds racing buggies.

Now, if you put chains on your FourRunner in the front, it will go anywhere that you need to go.

John 14:6

Thanks again all for the tips. This is very helpful.

Another question just came to mind. How interchangeable are chains for different tire sizes? For example, if I buy chains for P265/70 R16 would it be likely that they would fit a P235/70 R16? It seems like they would and would only need a little more or less tension to deal with the slack. I assume chains for an R17 would also fit at least R16 or R18? Or are they like shoes where you need to get a great fit for your rig?

As you can tell I haven't really dealt a lot with tire chains so thanks for all your help.

if you buy chains for a 265/70/16 they are going to be much bigger than chains for a 235/70/16 tire. the the chains for the 265 are going to be wider and longer than the 235 chains. if i were you i would buy a set that is made for your size of tire.

Good advice here.But make sure if its advisable to put them on the front of your vehicle,read your manual! On my Tacoma I only have ladder chains for the back.Only had to put them on once since I've been in NM and I put them on before I needed them. It was a daily chore in the Sierras,or I just left them on for the trip. And the weight of your vehicle makes a big difference on if you need them or not. On the propane delivery truck I was driving for a while out here it was daily off and on with all 4 wheels,mud and snow...

I would go with a cam style to bind the chains instead of bungees. I cut a set of semi-truck ones down to fit my 315/70 17's. They work like a charm and go on quick. I usually just chain up the front but if I have my trailer on sometimes I will do all four just to keep everything headed in the right direction.

last year I was elk hunting in colorado we got dumbed on over night all I had was cable chains for my tundra so i put them on front. I never used them for off road just highway. We were pushing snow with my front bumber. I broke both front cable chains and got stuck used some old barbed wire to fix so we could get out. Went and got my buddy's tacoma with all four chained and went buck up to fill our elk tags. Threw the cable chains in the trash. Save time and money buy the best u can afford and get 4 chains.

Yep, get the kind that tighten with a cam. THEN, carry the bungee type tensioners AND a roll of tie wire with pliers. Chain the front normally. Also, chain a trailer that has brakes if need be. Especially down hill. Usually, if you need to chain all four, you don't need to go there. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom