Tire law...

elks96

Long Time Member
Just incase the retardiness that is our state government. There is a bill being discussed and making its way through system requiring snow tire or chains for all vehicles on the I70 corridor over the passes.

What is your take? Should this be the governments business mandating tire types on vehicles?

I think it is stupid and a ridiculous waste of money and effort that will have no effect at all on the overall number of accidents and the travel time in the mountains!

Furthermore I would be pissed if I had to make an emergency trip over the passes and got fined for this! I also know that as a college student I travelled the passes a lot and did just fine with out fancy tires and chains. Just had to drive the right speed for the conditions!

I have not seen the bill, but generally these types of bills are so that they have recourse if some numbnuts causes a traffic problem. You likely would never be ticketed unless you caused an accident. That's why we now have the requirement that commercial vehicles carry chains all winter. This law isn't really much different than requiring that your windshield is not broken and all of your lights work.

I'm a truck driver on the I 70 corridor on a daily basis and if we have to have them then so should the public. Cars cause more problems in the Winter then anyone up there.

When it comes to laws for safety such as a seatbelt or helmet requirement, I'm typically against them. Bills like the current proposal I can often get behind because they are looking at the safety of others on the road. What I haven't heard is what defines a "snow tire" per the state. Is it anything with a M+S stamp on the side? Most truck and SUV tires will probably have this rating, but cars mostly have all-season tires. We run Bridgestone Blizzaks on my wife's SUV in the winter, but they carry a hefty price tag. This bill may be asking people who can't afford a second set of tires just for the winter to purchase them. Of course, it is a democratic sponsored bill, so I'm guessing they'll offer some sort of subsidy or stamp for those who can afford an annual ski pass but can't afford safe tires (sorry, had to :)). As mentioned above, the proposed bill will be a fineable offense only if you are pulled over first or cause an accident.

In the end, I'm waiting to see the final language before I can decide if I support this or not.

TM

The only time I travel thru I70 is on hunting trips and I always have allterain tires and carry tire chains.Not a bad idea.Never thought of it becoming law.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom