Tis the season...

Onthehoof

Wrestling has begun! I think I love this sport more each year. Although I am a little sad I do not get to yell at referees as much anymore. Apparently it is hard to find referees these days. I was bouncing between coaching some of the Varsity wrestlers and the JV wrestlers this past weekend and there is reason new refs start with the JV. I had a referee call me and the other kids coach to the table to ask what the score should be. He had 0-0. I said well you should have given them a takedown, us a reversal, and them a reversal, 2-4. It took all I had to just smile and go back to my corner. Those boys have no idea how nice everyone was being to them! That being said. I could never be a ref. I could not imagine having a whole gym booing me. Anyway. Watch some wrestling! If you have never watched, go support your local High School. I bet you fall in love with the sport too. It teaches so many things. There are about 15 brand new wrestlers on our team, and they get after it! One of my favorite things is that the wrestlers have to learn how to get over a loss and move on because they have to wrestle again in an hour. Who else loves this sport?!

Wrestling has begun! I think I love this sport more each year. Although I am a little sad I do not get to yell at referees as much anymore. Apparently it is hard to find referees these days. I was bouncing between coaching some of the Varsity wrestlers and the JV wrestlers this past weekend and there is reason new refs start with the JV. I had a referee call me and the other kids coach to the table to ask what the score should be. He had 0-0. I said well you should have given them a takedown, us a reversal, and them a reversal, 2-4. It took all I had to just smile and go back to my corner. Those boys have no idea how nice everyone was being to them! That being said. I could never be a ref. I could not imagine having a whole gym booing me. Anyway. Watch some wrestling! If you have never watched, go support your local High School. I bet you fall in love with the sport too. It teaches so many things. There are about 15 brand new wrestlers on our team, and they get after it! One of my favorite things is that the wrestlers have to learn how to get over a loss and move on because they have to wrestle again in an hour. Who else loves this sport?!
I love it too. My son is a very promising 8th grade wrestler in a great program. Can't wait to watch him the next couple years.

my son in law was a full ride D1 wrestler, pac 12 champ, if i remember right top 2 and 3 nationally each year he was in school and coached at 2 D1 schools after he graduated. wrestling is a crazy sub culture. im a hockey guy so until him i was never into it but its pretty cool.

my son in law was a full ride D1 wrestler, pac 12 champ, if i remember right top 2 and 3 nationally each year he was in school and coached at 2 D1 schools after he graduated. wrestling is a crazy sub culture. im a hockey guy so until him i was never into it but its pretty cool.
How do his ears look?

I was a wrestling dad for a loooong time. Missed it when it was over, but still hit all the local HS meets that I can. It’s still all the same folks in the bleachers.

I’m also grateful for the semi-volunteer refs, but some of the calls are rather inconsistent. Here they toss you out if you get too mouthy about the officiating. I filmed a bunch of my buddies kids matches because he was in the parking lot :ROFLMAO:

And some of the recent rule changes for things such as fleeing the mat and “control” are sketchy. (Thats gator bait:ROFLMAO:)

Wrestling is alright, but boys basketball is better..Hehehe
Hahaha. I like to tell my basketball buddies that I have a much better chance to beat them at basketball than they have of beating me in wrestling. Unless they were calling their own fouls, wussies.

Wrestled in high school and still follow it today. No better sport to teach mental toughness and to "embrace the suck".

Team sports are great and I enjoy most all of them, but wrestling is on a different level. Tough to get too prideful as a wrestler - there is typically always someone out there that will hand your arse to you. It is good to be humble but capable!

My oldest, a sophomore screwed up his grades and cannot wrestle this season. Good learning opportunity for him on how to prioritize time and put school work first. He lettered last year and was looking forward to the season a lot. He is a pretty sad young man right now.
At least for me his little brother is about to start his first wrestling (7th grade) season soon.
I played em all when I was a kid, football, baseball, basketball, rugby, wrestling and boxing. I wasn't a great wrestler, but I by far benefited from wrestling the most looking back.

BacDoc Should Be CHIMING In!
Why? I don’t have a dog in the fight anymore. I’m just an old has been (more like an old never was.). I tell people “the older I get, the better I was). I’m too stoved up to go to many matches or tournaments this year but hopefully I’ll be able work some in between Doctor visits. I don’t think anybody enjoys being around wrestling and wrestlers. BacDoc🤠

I really miss going to the meets, when my son was in wrestling. It was and is my favorite high school sport to watch. Being from a small school, we traveled all over Wyoming, Idaho and Utah.
I loved going to the tournaments in Idaho and Wyoming as they were great wrestlers and tough to beat. They really helped prepare the kids for the Utah state finals.
I never was great at understanding the scoring. I just yelled some and of course was too obnoxious….

Why?

Because I Know you Like To Watch Wrestling!

Hope You're Doing OK BacDoc!

Why? I don’t have a dog in the fight anymore. I’m just an old has been (more like an old never was.). I tell people “the older I get, the better I was). I’m too stoved up to go to many matches or tournaments this year but hopefully I’ll be able work some in between Doctor visits. I don’t think anybody enjoys being around wrestling and wrestlers. BacDoc🤠

Oops, I left a word off. Enjoys it more I meant. I swear the IPad changes what I write sometimes. Probably just my senile imagination.

How did the high school season end up for any of you with wrestlers? My nephew took state this year! Heart breaker in the finals last year. He pulled it off in ultimate tie breaker against a kid that had beaten him three times this year. What a wonderful end to a wonderful career. I am so lucky to have been able to coach him. Heavy Weight State Champ!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom