To boost elk numbers

Wished they had contacted me for a depredation Wolf Hunt!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Here it comes, as predictable as Obama blaming the economy on Bush.....

It's not that there are too many wolves. The problem is there aren't enough elk to support the wolves because of habitat loss due to___________(make something up).

spend millions of dollars re-introducing the damn things, spend millions of dollars paying ranchers for losses, now spend millions more to kill them with helicopters. Modern day wildlife management at its best. Brilliant!

Thats right Eel, and sportsmen get to pick up the bill. It was a great idea. But the willows are growing better in Yellowstone. No Moose or Elk.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-14 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]To restore elk in the Lolo/Lochsa area, its going to take more than shooting a few wolves.

In particular since black bears and lions are the leading predators on calf elk. They're trying to kill more predators in general there, but that country doesnt lend itself to the fat and lazy finding success.

Further, the habitat of the upper Lochsa/Selway/Lolo area has been in a steady decline since the 80's.

You want to increase elk populations there, its going to take some things that really shake up forest succession...be it through large scale treatment by man or nature...or both.

Things change in 100 years...and not always for the better.

Buzz,
What is the success rates of motivated fat hunters, or lazy skinny hunters? Are fit and motivated hunters the only succesful predator hunters in that area?

Muley_73, you familiar with the country? I'm betting the fit motivated guys kill more predators in than country those not. mtmuley

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-14
>AT 04:03?PM (MST)

>
>To restore elk in the Lolo/Lochsa
>area, its going to take
>more than shooting a few
>wolves.
>
>In particular since black bears and
>lions are the leading predators
>on calf elk. They're trying
>to kill more predators in
>general there, but that country
>doesnt lend itself to the
>fat and lazy finding success.
>
>
>Further, the habitat of the upper
>Lochsa/Selway/Lolo area has been in
>a steady decline since the
>80's.
>
>You want to increase elk populations
>there, its going to take
>some things that really shake
>up forest succession...be it through
>large scale treatment by man
>or nature...or both.
>
>Things change in 100 years...and not
>always for the better.

The Lolo is now obviously well below carrying capacity, in fact at least 80% below.

Shooting these wolves will save 16 elk per year per wolf for the life expectancy of that wolf not to mention the breeding capacity of the pack.

IDF&G has already given more liberal bear, and lion seasons in the Lolo. Combine increased lion & bear take with this wolf control action, and I would say that the new elk plan and predator management plan could make for a big step in the right direction for elk in the Lolo.

The Lolo has habitat to support many times the elk we have to day. What do you think the 100 wolves have been eating. I believe it is 1600 elk a year that the existing habitat has been supporting.

I am all for habitat improvements, after the predator problem that biologists have identified have been addressed.

I have a far out idea! Let wolves control the wildlife numbers in the park and let hunters control them outside the park. Wow, what a concept. Too bad people have lost the sense of us as the top predator

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

mt,
I'm familar. I've spent time hunting bears in the area. Just found the comment Buzz made as pretty coincided. Fairly standard I guess.

A Canadian study that was completed a few years ago showed that habitat improvement (specifically by fire) was not enough to boost elk numbers if wolves are present.

IDFG killing wolves should be looked at as a first step towards recovering the Lolo herd and should be followed by several more years of wolf and other predator suppression and a policy of letting wildfires burn. I think that the current habitat does have the ability to support a lot more elk than are currently alive in that area, but in the presence of so many predators they are not robust enough to recover from 2 really bad winters in the last 20 years.

However, we could be waiting years for large enough fires to have a positive effect so the next option is prescribed burning on a very large scale.

As has been mentioned the Lolo herd was in decline before wolves but what really finished them off was the winter of 96-97. There was over 70% loss of elk and before they could recover the wolves moved in and held them at repressed numbers.

My hope is that several years of predator removal and fire(both natural and manmade) can help the elk reach a population size that can withstand predation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom