Too Early to Scout - Unit 53

hunt1

Seeing how this is a northern New Mexico unit, do the majority of bulls head down later in the year from Colorado. I usually hunt Units 34 & 36 and have them patterned, just wanted to get other's opinions. I am going to head up there tomorrow night, so any starting places would be great. I'll be hunting the Septemer 1-22 archery hunt in 53, wish it was Unit 36 but getting to go elk hunting is better than nothing at all!

Scouting is fine as long as you dont expect it to be like scouting deer where they pretty much hang in a certain area.

If you are to scout look for rubs if you are hunting the rut as they will be back to the same areas.

Once rut kicks in its like shuffling the deck.

Appreciate the suggestion...that's a good idea.

Last year in Unit 36 they were rutting hard during the second rifle hunt and I expect that was in relation to the weather. I am hoping/expecting that the rut will occur during later part of September in 53.

beware with many atv's and jeep's rental from Red River...and the tourists from TEXAS...

but I did saw some herds...during 4th of july week vacation...

vinihunt

p.s. long time no talk...

Please report how it went! I am heading up next weekend and will trade info. I am going into the wilderness, so hopefully won't see to many texan 4-wheler gangs!

Be sure and look at your map in regards to the Red River/Gold Hill area. This is an access point to the Wheeler Peak Wilderness. Private land in this area that has been used to access this area for years has changed hands and the owner will be CLOSING access through the property. E-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

To say this unit is tough might be an understatement! For the most part, this is thick vertical wilderness. We spent most of the time exploring the forest roads to familiarize ourselves with the unit. There was tons of traffic (atv, jeep rentals, camps, Texans) in the area, but we were still able to find some elk. I don't expect those elk to be in those same areas come September, but it gave me enough confidence that I might be able to find them again.

I was one of the Texans there on July 4th (but no ATV). I hike up wheeler peak from the middle fork lake road. I spotted a big herd of elk (40-50) from the peak hanging out at horseshoe lake. I'm sure they'll be down lower during the hunt, but I thought I'd pass that along. I'll have some pictures to post next week.

First post here. I hiked Wheeler Peak today--started up from Taos Ski Valley at 4:00 a.m. Just after sunrise, saw six bulls on the west face opposite the ski trails just above tree line at about 12,000 ft. All stayed in the mountain's shadow before dropping into the trees below. Two royals, three rag horns, and a spike.

Feeding just above them were four bucks, one spike and three fours. One of the fours looked like he had some additional trash, but in the low light was a little too far away to tell for certain. He looked to be about 25 to 26" wide. The bucks also fed into the trees below, entering at about the same portal as the elk, about ten minutes behind.

Also saw about 70 big horn sheep, including one full curl ram. Awesome morning.

There were several tents set up at both lakes mentioned above-- unlikely there was much elk activity around those areas at least today. From Wheeler Peak itself, looking southwest in the direction of Taos, could see a herd of at least eight elk in a saddle next to a rock slide, at about 12,000 to 12,500 elevation. Estimate distance from Wheeler Peak at about three miles. Too far to tell if they were bulls or cows.

Good luck.

To say it is rough is correct! I hiked Itallion canyon and saw some elk sign, but would not want to carry an elk down from there! Alot of thunder and lightning, so cut my day short, but will return again. Did see elk on wheeler from a FAR way! I know why tags are cheap there now.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom