Too Many Elk

Just wondering here...

Wyoming passed a law back in 75 outlawing any new game farms. I believe there was an existing one they allowed to operate that was grandfathered in. How exactly is that law worded?

I'm just thinking that there is overlap or adjacency between providing permits that a LO can sell, and game farms. Ya, they aren't exactly the same, but there are a lot of similarities.

I dunno- but would be interested to know how the law is worded- how a game farm is defined. Section 10 of the G&F regs doesn't show all of the 1975 Chapter 83 law- and I was unable to find it online.

They are likely happy holding all of the cards. I am willing to bet that they have repeat hunters (who are drawing easy to draw tags and paying a massive trespass fees) snipe elk with silenced rifles, so they don't bump the elk off the ranch.

Seems like Narnia to me...

I commend people for looking for a solution but to be honest, I don't know that ranchers/landowners want a solution. From my pov I think they are pretty happy the way things are. They just want the bull tags and no other changes. lol
I did not know 16 was a easy draw?

I did not know 16 was a easy draw?
It's not, of course, but several on here are trying to take this thread in different directions talking about regular landowner tags, which do not have access requirements, game farms, which have absolutely no connection to auxiliary tags or kill permits, and area 16 and the Q, which at this time is in no way involved in the aforementioned programs.

Game farms, a unit not participating in the hunts mentioned, regular non transferable landowner tags, shooting deer in other states,...can we bring any other off topic subjects to this thread?

Anyone want to discuss their favorite recipe, favorite color, or the NFL playoffs?

I guess it comes down to who is complaining about all the elk? My guess is that it isn’t the public hunters?

My guess is that landowners hate repairing fences and hate when elk are found in their hay fields.

Why should the WG&F pay landowners steep damage claims when it would be so easy for a few scattered cow hunters through the season to prevent a lot of this from happening. A few landowner and outfitted bull hunters on expansive ranches does squat to keep elk moving and absolutely nothing to thin booming elk herds.

It’s pretty obvious that it’s the bull tags that get landowners attention! Dealing with public cow hunters is probably the last thing they prefer to deal with unless there is some sort of benefit. You can guess what landowner and outfitter preference would be!

I certainly hope Wyo res continue to hound the WG&F in regard to their disfavor of transferable and outfitter set aside tags!

Made some phone calls to the GF.

Here is what I know.

The Department is using BOTH Chapter 34 and 56.

In the case of Chapter 56, there is no license requirement and NO part of chapter 23 applies. So essentially anything flies on how to kill elk, deer, pronghorn, etc. with kill permits.

Even though it doesn't state in Chapter 56 that a landowner CAN'T charge for access, the Department person I talked to said that there is language on the kill permits that states the landowner can not charge for access, etc. I did not see the actual kill permit, but I do emphatically trust the source I talked to. He even read me the langauge on the phone.

As to Chapter 34, totally different deal there. There are license requirements and the landowners can, and are, charging for the "vouchers" and/or access.

Both are being used in large portions in the Eastern part of the State.

Also talked about the lack of transparency on what's going on. The person I talked with agreed that the Department didn't do enough to get the word out, which is an understatement, since they didn't release anything prior. There was no public process either, which bothers me, because I used to think the wildlife was to be managed for the benefit of all Wyoming citizens.

Finally, the talk turned to transferable bull tags and all that was said is that issuing bull tags is NOT the intent of either Chapter 34 or 56.

Not very reassuring to me and far from saying it won't be happening. Even less so when the public is being completely left out of the discussions regarding this. A step further, our wildlife is being dominated by a couple special interests. IMO, in some places in Wyoming, the wildlife is no longer a public trust asset.

There is no doubt in my mind that pressure on the Dept to take some of these steps has been brought to bear from the outside. This is why it is a bad thing that positions like Director and Commissioner are appointed by the Governor. I am hoping the Dept is totally transparent on this and works on the report, as promised, on these programs for 2023.

Some good information here. Never heard of this before. Sounds like a good way to fill the freezer with quality meat if landowner allow hunters.

You have to realize that the only way that landowners selling tags in Wyoming would happen is if the legislature passes it. The Legislature has the power not Game and Fish.

You have to realize that the only way that landowners selling tags in Wyoming would happen is if the legislature passes it. The Legislature has the power not Game and Fish.
I think you need to come to the realization it's already happening.

Made some phone calls to the GF.

Here is what I know.

The Department is using BOTH Chapter 34 and 56.

In the case of Chapter 56, there is no license requirement and NO part of chapter 23 applies. So essentially anything flies on how to kill elk, deer, pronghorn, etc. with kill permits.

Even though it doesn't state in Chapter 56 that a landowner CAN'T charge for access, the Department person I talked to said that there is language on the kill permits that states the landowner can not charge for access, etc. I did not see the actual kill permit, but I do emphatically trust the source I talked to. He even read me the langauge on the phone.

As to Chapter 34, totally different deal there. There are license requirements and the landowners can, and are, charging for the "vouchers" and/or access.

Both are being used in large portions in the Eastern part of the State.

Also talked about the lack of transparency on what's going on. The person I talked with agreed that the Department didn't do enough to get the word out, which is an understatement, since they didn't release anything prior. There was no public process either, which bothers me, because I used to think the wildlife was to be managed for the benefit of all Wyoming citizens.

Finally, the talk turned to transferable bull tags and all that was said is that issuing bull tags is NOT the intent of either Chapter 34 or 56.

Not very reassuring to me and far from saying it won't be happening. Even less so when the public is being completely left out of the discussions regarding this. A step further, our wildlife is being dominated by a couple special interests. IMO, in some places in Wyoming, the wildlife is no longer a public trust asset.
Thanks for the info Buzz.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom