Too young?

S

SierraFool

I planned on taking my daughter with me on her first hunt for antelope this year. She is 6 yrs old, shes been around hunting, knows what its about and seems to enjoy the concept.
I was talking to a couple friends at work(non hunters) and they were telling me that 6 is too young and could screw her mind up for later in life. What do you guys think?

They don't understand hunting and have probably been reading too much Dr. Phil/Dr. Laura socio-psychobabble bullcrap. I took my son hunting elk (a cow hunt) at 4 and he was just fine with it. In fact it helped him to understand the balance between respect for wildlife and wanton destruction. It sounds like your co-workers are imagining hunting to be a violent, primal bloodbath when in reality it's just like farm kids who learn early on that the farm animals are going to be eaten eventually. You might want to question her on her sensitivities to violence to see how she reacts or might react to seeing an antelope die, but that can give you a great opportunity to give her the "Circle of life" lesson (not "the birds and the bees" - she is too young for that!) to see how humans control the food chain, in spite of what she will eventually be taught in school, and to help her understand how we can positively impact wildlife and their environments. If you teach her properly, then you have nothing to worry about. She's going to be exposed to a lot more violence in her first week in kindergarten or first grade than she will on an antelope hunt.

Don't listen to your co-workers. They don't have a clue.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

My opinion is that your daughter would grow up with her mind screwed up worse if you don't take her with you. If she wants to go, take her. But if she doesn't show interest, don't take her. Also, if you get lucky and kill one, try not to expose your daughter to too much gore. A dead animal and a little blood is O.K., but when combined with all of the sights, sounds, and especially smells of field dressing, it might gross her out. Don't make a big deal about it and she'll at least understand a little more about life and death than her school mates that get their food in plastic wrappers.

I would take her, especially if she seems fine and eager to go with you. As long as you have Mommy's consent, you should be fine. She would know best.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Totally depends on the kid. If they are used to you bringing home the game and being around dead critters I wouldnt hesitate to take her with ya. Different kids have different personalities though so you just gotta roll with who they are as people.

That said, one of my most favorite pictures of my boy, then 4 years old was when I took him Muzzleloader hunting with me. We rounded a corner and there was a good 50 deer in front of us with this 3x2 standing there. I said to him "what do you think" and hes standing there jumping up and down sayign "SHOOT IT SHOOT IT"... so I cap the gun got a good rest and *BOOM* the deer drops and my boy takes off after it... he runs up grabs it and posed for a picture:

normal_03_ML_2x3_2.JPG

Yea take your girl hunting, its moments like this that will stick with you forever. They dont care about size, score, shape or color... its about you and them doing something great together.

-DallanC

As mentioned before, if your daughter is already used to you bringing home dead critters and is fine with it, then I believe it would be a good idea to take her along. Otherwise you may do more harm than good, most (now i said most not all) girls have a different view of things at that age (I guess at any age). But then again, if you wait too long to expose her to the hunting world, all of your good hopes could be lost. I think waiting untill children are 12 to 14 years old is too long. By then they may already outgrow that age of ambition to become hunters, in my opinion.

I think you should take her if she wants to go. My dad took me on my first hunting trip when I was 4. We went antelope hunting in Wyoming. It was one of the most memorable hunts I have ever had. Of course I have to ask my dad what happened because I can't remeber much of it. I only remember one thing, and that is when I got my first close up encounter with a rattlesnake. That was the only down side. But I still think you should take her. If she has been around hunting and doesn't mind it take her. It was a great experience for me and it should be for her too.

younghunter22

Definately take her if she is willing! My dad and grandpa took me when i was around that age and i have loved it ever since! however my younger brother who didn't really have the opportunity doesn't really want anything to do with it and just sits at home playing that stupid x-box, and i'm pretty sure you dont; want your daughter ending up like that.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-06 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]Do it! Hell, I was 6 when I killed my fist buck. I started off shooting squirrels, rabbits and turkeys when I was 5. My oldest girl shot her first coyote when she was 7.
If kids want to do it and understand all of the aspects of what could happen, by all means go for it! Hunting and fishing has help make a bond between my girls and me that I wouldnt trade for anything. I had the same bond with my Dad and Uncle. It is a great way to get them away from the idiot box and into something that is going to get them to use their mind, body and soul. Look at those anti-hunting hippies and see what state of mind their kids are in. Not a pretty picture!
And like was said several times before, NEVER force them to go if they do not want to!

watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

I started taking my daughter fishing when she was about that age. I let her help/watch as they were cleaned and explained how good they are to eat and why we always eat what we catch. I made a big deal of cooking and eating them. So it was a natural progression from that to hunting. Although she never became a hunter herself, she loves all wild game (even ducks!). Now she can't wait for Grandpa to take her sons hunting and fishing.

Steve

They are never too young to learn about the outdoors. As long as they want too. My three kids who are 7, 4, and one have been out hunting and fishing with me and my family all of there lives. It's good for them to learn the life and death in order to feed our familys. plus the bondage of this is absolutely the best thing for anybody and keeps a stong family together and close for our entire lives. our hunting heritage is important and should be passed on.

Clyde

Take her along. I took my wife and son out bow hunting when he was just 9 months old. I left them sitting at pond while i snuck after a few elk we had spooked. Just my luck though they circled around and came within 10yards of my wife and boy even with him jabbering like kids do. (she still wont let me forget that one and its been years) Any way in my opinion hunts are about the memory's and the meat. why not share the memory with your loved ones no matter the age. I was reading another turkey post the other day and the guy took his dad after his first turkey at 72.

next thing the non-hunters will be telling you that those who are 40 and over shouldn't due to....... who knows what, but i bet they come up with something.

PAID2HUNT
THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN WATCHING THE SUN SET AFTER A GOOD DAY HUNTING OR FISHING.

Thanks for the replies....I was figuring it would be OK, and yes I do have mommys consent..lol, Thanks

My Dad started taking me hunting when I was six and it really screwed me up. Ever since then hunting is all I can think of. I love my Dad for taking me so early in life. I have friends who think ten is the age to take kids. I think six is perfect.
Good luck on your hunt.

No better varmint call than a crying baby....they are never too young.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

A few years back I took my 8 year old nephew to see the movie Bambi. when the stag of the woods was shot he blurted out loud, "great shot!" I had him for the whole week and took him prairie dog huntin and shot the heck out of a bunch of firearms. He hadn't been exposed to firearms before that and really enjoyed himself.

Beanman

I've taken my granddaughter with my son and I since she was 4yrs old. Last season she was 6 and can keep up with us now and can spot deer a mile off. She now knows tracks carries a knife and can start a fire with flint, carries a space blanket and water and survival food. She has been in on some kills and knows that's what we're there for. She's getting to be a great little hunt'n buddy. I had my son out hunt'n starting when he was 4 yrs. old too, killed his first deer at 10 and first elk at 14 and it hasn't seemed to screw them up. You need to exspect some spooked game and maybe some short hikes until she gets broke in. Have at it, if they can walk they can hunt. - 1ELKHORN-

Just wanted to echo the sentiment that as soon as they want to go...By all means take 'em! An antelope hunt is ideal. plenty of food and water in the truck, not walking All Day, and lots of game to keep the interest up. Give the little ones some bino's that aren't your favorites, and praise them for spotting critters. Pretty soon they are spotting them first.

Take her, I would. My 6 yo daughter gets her "Cricket" out of gun jail (we live in the communist state of California) on May 1. After some range work she is itching to get after some ground squirrels and I am positive I'm more excited about it than she is.

My son shot a young buck between the eyes at 12 steps using a .223 and bipods at 6 years old. He is now eight. He also plays several sports. I asked him what sport he liked best and he said "hunting". He also stopped me as we were coming out of the turkey woods this spring and said," Dad, my favorite times are being at Halifax (our hunting club) with you." The only thing I would caution you on is to make it fun. Bring a backpack full of coloring books. You may not get much hunting done at first, but you will probably have a hunting buddy for life. If she doesn't take to it, she will always remember that Dad had time to take her.

I took my daughter and wife antelope hunting last fall. Daughter was 2 and a few months. We shot a buck 1 mile from the house. She watched my wife and I cut it up and posed for pics with us. She sees dead coyotes all the time, I sell the fur. It hasn't ruined her. What it has done is teach her about how life works in the real world. She'll be 3 this summer and now is helping us raise two bum lambs. We are bottle feeding them right now. Hopefully she'll show one of them in the bum lamb show at county fair. Then we are going to sell one and eat the other. This is how life works and its never too early to expose kids to it. Now all she talks about is shooting antelope and coyotes. Keeps asking her mom when me and her can go shoot a caribou. I really, honestly, don't know where that thought came from.

This was Lukes first hunt. This hunt was a few days before his 7th birthday. He told me afterwards..."Dad that was better then Christmas".
444902664e15955c.jpg

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

"This was Lukes first hunt. This hunt was a few days before his 7th birthday. He told me afterwards..."Dad that was better then Christmas".

That's great. Better than Christmas.

Pull them out of school and take them hunting the biggest and best classroom in the world. Andy

Turning out to be a great post.
Thanks for the memorable stories.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I would be very cautious, there could be irreparable damages at such an early age, look at Zigga for example, he went hunting at a very tender young age & look how he turned out ?
Definitely cause for concern ;-)

You need to take her, I've seen a bumper sticker that somes it up perfectly.
"Kids that go hunting and fishing with there parents don't grow uo to mug little old ladies"
444984170621aa95.jpg

I have taken all my kids out around the age of 6. Hunting, fishing, camping you name it they have been there done that. As mentioned earlier this is a great post and bring back great memories of childhood hunting. Lets see some pictures of everyones kids and maybe some of everyone as a kid.

I took my kid at 4 and again at 5. He had a ball....saw some wolf tracks, the aftermath of a wolf kill on elk, some deer tracks, and got to see the results of a well planned hunt. He now loves the outdoors and cannot wait until elk season. He and I watch the elk shows on TV every morning....even before cartoons.

Austinandbull.jpg

This is my nephews first bull. Killed in Colorado in 2005. This is my daughters' first hunt in which we killed a animal. This fall she turns 12 and will be able to carry her own gun. She, her mother and I have a deer and antelope trip planned to Wyoming together. I can't wait to see the look on her face when she gets her first animal.

444d441c1da82fca.jpg

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

I took my son from age three on deer hunts, which he loved.

Pay attention to your daughter's needs; like eating, having fun, staying warm, and not getting bored. Also be sensitive to her when field dressing your goat. Some at that age think it's cool, and some are squirmish. Also, have her pack something to do with the hunt. Maybe like a map, compass, or little first aid kit.

Have fun and good luck!

Ed

My six year old son, Preston, thought that a four day antelope hunt with his dad in Wyoming was one of the funnest vacations he had ever been on. We asked his teacher for his home work a week in advance and he worked on it every night in the motel room. It was a great experience for him and me. It was great getting to spend that much one on one time with him.

Pay attention to your daughter and make it a fun, memorable experience for her. Take plenty of snacks, drinks, candy, coloring books, gameboy, etc. You may gain a life long hunting buddy.

I guess it's unanimious. Everyone agrees on something for once. I think the best hunt for a child that age would be an antelope hunt. They see alot of game and the weather isn't too cold. My son got his first elk at 13 and was hunting birds @ 10. I took him duck huntin numerous times when he was 4 through 9 but he didn't really get into it until he could pull the trigger himself. I remember dropping a honker that bounced on him when he was sleeping as a 7 year old. DO IT!

Here are a few pics of my kids.
7 year old son w/first cottontail
444ee7282eb34fc1.jpg

Daughter at age 8 w/Wyoming Whitetail
444ee75c2f188fec.jpg

Daughter age 7, son age 1 wyo muley
444ee7842f51e5f5.jpg

Son age 4 wyo goat
444ee7a22f9357a0.jpg

Son all camo up for archery deer.
444ee7ba2facdf4a.jpg

Kids fishing.
444ee7d62fdda186.jpg

I have a daughter that will be three in July. We will also have another daughter in July. I decided to join the dedicated hunter program this year, but my wife's only condition was that I have to take my daughter with me sometimes, so she can have a break. I was shocked to hear her say that! My daughter went with me a couple of times on the deer huntlast year and she loved it. She is excited to go with me this year, but not near as excited as I am to be able to take her with me!!

The best is when I get ready to go to work and she runs to get her fishing pole and says "Daddy no work, fish" Atta girl!
I think that taking her in the outdoors with me is one of the best ways to show her that I love her and want to spend time with her.

I used to go with my dad and brothers when I was around 6 or 7. It never bothered me to see a dead animal, my day just explained to me why we hunt, have to gut it out, etc. and I was like ok, no big deal, then I'd run off and play!

dutch
" Man who excels at putting worm on hook is Master Baiter"

My oldest daughter grew up in a duck blind, when she was 3 she was watchinmg her brother in a car seat in the back of the blind when he was 6 months old. They both have grown up loving the outdoors. I stated a second family late in life and have a son now 7 and duaghter 5, and both have been on many trips since they were bothe 3 years old. My son loves to go anytime he can. Ducks seem to be his favorites and now Turkeys..

I say make the memories while you can. Tomorrow's not a guarantee for any of us.

JG >>-------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom