Top Elk in Wyoming

B

bullmania

Who are the outfitters that are harvesting the biggest bulls every year in Wyoming ???

What unit are they in ???

I need to apply ,and need some help.

Thanks
BUllmania

Probably unit 58 ? Anywhere near Yellowstone would be my guess ? Huntinfool magazine has them all listed out, if you dont get it you should.

Private property hunting is quickly becoming the most consistent producer of big bulls in Wyoming sad to say. Units 58, 63/64, 61, 123, 7, & 78 and some others less promoted by Huntin Fool, Eastman's and the like are all producing the most consist number of big bulls but the catch is many of them come from the private land hunting. The public land units around Yellowstone historically produced big bulls in years when the weather pushed the bulls out of the Park. The wolves have done LOTS to change that. You may want to consider unit 60 as it is easier to draw. It is a general hunt but still produces good bulls in years when the snow comes. Unit 78 is a slam dunk for a big 350+ bull if you will pay the $5000 trepass/outfitting fee but the quality of the hunt leaves alot to be desired.

I got to see what kind of bulls were on the Wagonhound and its pretty incredible. If I had $8500.00 laying around Id be on my way. Some of the tribal units get twice this amount for the same caliber bulls so it would be a bargain if you had that much to spend.

Check out their website.

They kill nice bulls, but very, very, very few great bulls.

If you're looking for a B&C bull...I'd look elsewhere.

I believe they were 100% on 330 plus bulls over the last several years. I guess it depends on what a guy considers a great bull. My opinion, they kill alot of great bulls and I saw a lot of great bulls in one day. I saw a couple bulls in the 350 class, I think they killed a 370 bulls last year ? Look on their website but looked really awesome to me.

I look at their 2008 pics and see some bulls that barely score 300 inches, so how can they be 100% on bulls 330 plus?

I guess my point is that a guy can do a DIY hunt and spend a lot less than $8500 and kill a comparable bull to the majority they kill on the wagonhound.

I also dont believe that a 300-330 bull is a good deal at $8500. No question that those are good bulls, but not great bulls.

I dont think its really a good idea to look at the biggest bull they kill each year and expect to do the same when you flop the $8500 on the table for the hunt. You have to look at what their average bull is...pretty run-of-the-mill quality for the money involved.

For a bit more money a person could hunt white sheep in AK or Canada, a mountain goat, etc. and have a much better adventure.

I'll have to go look a their pics from last year. I know that previously they said 100% on 330 or better, thats great enough for me. Like I said, I saw first hand the caliber bulls that are on the ranch and it equals what guys are paying twice that for on tribal lands.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-09 AT 09:32PM (MST)[p]what other outfitters are in Unit 7 ??

Unit 7 is huge theres got to be other outfitters and other land ???

Thanks guys for the intell.

Bull

Lostinoregon is right on theres a couple others too, they get a premium and book up early but kill some bruisers too. Send a pm to icmdeer maybe.

We're still 100% on 6 point or better bulls after more than 20 years in the outfitting business. We do not take more than 5 elk hunters per year and have three large ranches leased. You can go to our website at www.triplecreekhunts.com to see pictures of the deer, elk and antelope we take. We put a picture of every animal we harvest on the website - if we get a picture. I'm still waiting on a few deer from 2008 because of guide camera issues, but they were some of our better deer. I think all of our elk from the past several years are there.

The other thing you have to remember is the ability and desire of the hunter plays a big role. In 2008, we had a 13 year old and another person with limited physical ability. A couple of years ago, we took a guy in mid October that had a heart attack in June and he could hardly walk at our relativley low elevation (but he still got a 6 point).

Anyway, thanks for thinking of us and let me know if I can help.

ICMDEER - Jim

I would recommend triplecreekhunts to anyone. Jim is a great guy and really does a good job at keeping the number of animals they take down to insure that they continue to have great animals.

Funny, I just opened a pm for advice on unit 7 and I said to get ahold of Triple Creek hunts before I came here. Ive never met Jim but he had some kind words for me when I asked for advice last year when my son and I drew tags. Even when I told him I couldnt afford a guided hunt for two of us he still offered to have me call him at home and talk about it. Without ever having met the guy he seems like a class act. Gary

Elkcrzy
Thanks for the info .

How did you and your son do on your hunt last year ???

Regards'
Bull

You're definitely being steered the right way, bm, I'd stick with this thread I were you long as I could.

Rump

Only problem is the large trespass fees along with the tag or going guided. Being from out of state you almost have to go guided, I would guess alot of tags go to waste in this area what do you guys think ?

I would recommend triplecreekhunts to anyone. Jim is a great guy and really does a good job at keeping the number of animals they take down to insure that they continue to have great animals.

+1 on Jim Freeburn and triple creek

www.triplecreekhunts.com

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom