topo`s ?????

H

hunterman67

hey all, heres a good question. I have drawn my first hunt in colorado and another hunt in new mexico in places I have NEVER been before and can't scout prior to my hunts. I am looking for a reputable place where I can buy topos for these upcoming hunts. I can get arizona maps here but not colorado and/or new mexico. is there any places you all use that you are comfortable with buying online from ? any help appreciated !! thanks again !!
M WAITE, AZ.

I would download http://jdmcox.com/

It is free and GREAT. I could have a good idea of each unit in less than an hour.

Then, I would use this software as I talked to folks that had hunted the unit and mark Waypoints.

I would then order a custom map from http://www.mytopo.com/ centered over the unit.

This will save you the cost of buying multiple maps and all of that.

You should be able to do all of this for $30 or less.

What units did you draw?

Archer

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-06 AT 07:33AM (MST)[p]I second www.mytopo.com
I've had great experiences with them. You can also go to REI and print custom maps for your area for about 8 bucks a piece. REI maps will also show Game Management Unit boundaries (at least for Colorado they do).
I'll bet sportsman's wharehouse has a similar capabilitie as well.

I have National Geographics TOPO! for UT, WY, ID and CO. Shop the net and you can find them for around $70. Never have to buy a map again. Print anything/area you want. Outstanding scouting tool. Load the whole state on your hard drive and you can free scroll across the whole state at 7.5 minute level!

If you hunt in different states out west and need to do a lot of map scouting I would strongly suggest looking at one of the mapping software?s you can buy for your computer. Most run between $50 to $100. There are great you can print your own maps, customize, make 3D maps, and upload to a GPS.

I have personally used Topo USA but there others out there also, you will not be disappointed.

Good luck,
Dan

Get the software I posted above and the cost is ZERO. You will be scouting the unit in less than 15 minutes.

I would still us mytopo.com to print a good waterproof topo. VERY small cost.

I owned the other software years ago and would never go back.

I download/upload to GPS all the time and it works perfect.

Archer

I agree with archeryelk. That jdmcox software is the best. Very fast to toggle between topo and aerial. Constant GPS coordinates wherever you have the cursor. Best of all, it's free.

I order my USGS topo's from www.mapsport.com. $6.95 per page for plain paper. I never have ordered waterproof.

I have a garmin gps and the mapsource topo software. you can download the topo info onto the gps and dump gps info to pc. I also have used the REI maps they are fantastic.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-06 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]you can get topos off of this site from the main page just click order maps.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-06 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]I too will recommend mytopo.com. What a tool!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

NOW WAIT WAITE!!!

I'VE GOT FRIENDS IN COLORADO THAT ALMOST INVENTED THE FREE TUNE-UP!!!

THEY WON'T ALLOW YOU TO RIDE YOUR WHEELER IN CLOSED AREA'S!!!

GOT IT???

THE ONLY bobcat HOPEING YOU'LL BE HUNTING ANY WAY BUT OFF A WHEELER!!!

what a worthless suck off you are- I can only hope YOU will have enough balls to show up there, I know you don't but I figure as many balls as you pull on- maybe one of those fellas will let you borrow a pair! Red kawasaki- big AZ license plate on the back, big COLORADO handicapped access sticker on the front- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE- come and visit me !!

YOU are the ONLY BOBCAT TO RUIN A GOOD INFORMATIVE POST- thats for sure there butty !!!!!

to the rest of you all, I very much appreciate your advice on this, I tried the jdmcox software but all I got was a blank grey screen, the cursor showed gps way points though just nothing else. I went to the topo pages and just have'nt figured out which one yet. I did go to the www.yellowpages.com website looking for a motel up there in case I don't haul all my stuff up to camp and they actually show maps for the motels they advertise up there in durango. but after I looked around for awhile I could move the maps around and zoom in and I saw the entire unit with ALL the info I needed. you can zoom, switch from topo to aerial, I can zoom all the way to the 150 yard mark, 300 yard mark, and up from there- it is really neat to be able to look at all of those canyons up close like that, showing all of the roads and ranches/houses. there is quite a few waterholes/lakes in there too. I am alot more encouraged now since I've seen the area better!
M WAITE, AZ.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom