Torn between Area 6 and SE Nevada

mistertwister

So what would be the top end of quality for area 6? What would be realistic as far as top end bucks in 6 and how would you compare it to say 231 or 241? If an applicant had over 12 BPs, how would you compare the 2. Seems like 6 is an ok area but SE Nevada can hold some giants...am I wrong?? where would you apply with that point count?

thanks

Put in for the area you know but you probably do not know any area since you have 12+ points.

Bottom line is there are huge bucks all over that state. I am convinced there are 30" bucks in every unit its up to you to find them

And as the previous posted put them all down I have drawn my 5th choice before and little bro drew his 5th on elk last year

I would guess that for top end 22,23 etc. is better than 6 but i would also weighin how you hunt, 6 is WIDE OPEN and you can glass for miles! The SE units have some Channing's and some area open enough to glass but much of it is covered in juniper and pinion that is thick as carpet. Many of the BIG bucks that are killed down there are either bumped into or tracked by guys better than me at telling a fresh track in the sandy soil.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

I'm looking to draw a decent archery tag in Nevada. 0 points. Of course I've got 231, 194-196L, ____, ____ ,____ Just trying to figure out those last choices. I've always heard good things about 241 and 114,115 and they look tough to draw, but kill success has been 0% the last two years.. So it makes me wonder

Area 231 is top notch for nevada as far as trophies go. Densities are not the highest but WOW. MT. WILSON, WHITE ROCK, etc.. Personally never hunted area 6

Yes that carpet can be quite thick. Almost disgusting thick. Which is why those boys have nice head gear.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-12 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-12 AT 10:12?PM (MST)

231 can be a good hunt if you work at it. For the road hunter it's a difficult place at best. I can remember that my buddy and I drew the two NR muzzy tags a few years back in 231 (I had 8 pts and he had 3 pts). Driving into the heart of the zone and all around we almost saw nothing from the roads while scouting. Once we backpacked into our spot there were a lot of deer. You'll have to pick through decent 4x4s to get a good one.

Here's one I recently spotted for my buddy at 15 yards carrying a PIW tag. Killed with a muzzleloader in 231.

I know 231, but I don't plan on waiting that long for a NV tag again.

898dscn1285.jpg

Area 6 has produced some great bucks over the last few years. I've never hunted it personally but from everything I've heard it is becoming a great unit for good bucks.

The southeast units in the state can be tough to hunt if you don't spend the time and effort scouting and hunting them. Like previously stated above a lot of the county is THICK P&J, and that's a lot of the reason why they produce the bucks that they do. Out of the all of the tags that are given out in these units every year, there are only a handful of great bucks killed. I had a friend that drew a 22 tag a couple years ago and burned a pile of bonus points, only to be extremely disappointed with the hunt. I guess my point is that these tags are some of the most sought after in NV, but they are still tough hunts. They just have the potential for a giant buck.

I'm partial to these SE units myself. I killed this buck in one of them two years ago. He had an official score of 192 gross and 185 net typical. I also had something like 14 days scouting prior to the hunt. They are fun units to hunt but don't expect to find giant bucks around every corner.

5108dsc01018.jpg

Bwht4x4, do you have any better pictures of that buck? He looks like a great buck.

I do have many picts of it, but I generally don't post them because of a few reasons. Mainly because they're of my buddy and he may not like that and you can see a little too much of our hunting spot.

Area 6 has always been a great unit, 180+ bucks are there, you just have to get away from the crowds. I had the early rifle tag a few years ago, I passed several 175+ bucks before I settled on a 189" 7x5.

mistertwister,

I don't think I answered your original question. If you or someone else had 12 bp I would apply for 231 (I don't know anything about 241-245). I prefer the earlier hunts (muzzy, archery) but they are obviously much harder to get. The rifle hunt starts so early that the bucks are in the same spots as during the muzzy hunt. If I were you though, I'd apply by yourself to reduce the chance of being booted if there wasn't enough tags for your party if drawn. Just remember that 231 can be a frustrating place to hunt due to the thick pinyon and junipers. If you're not seeing many deer in 231, move on and look in other places. From what I've seen you are either in them or not. On the last hunt I was on in 231 we didn't see many bucks in the traditionally good areas. I'm not sure if the numbers in 231 have gone down or not.

Good luck in the draw.

Bwht4x4

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom