Toughest hunt Desert vs Rocky Bighorn?

MountainTime

I recently drew my MT Goat tag here in Utah and took it with my bow. I am trying to decide which species to start putting in for and would like to go for it with my bow.

I have helped on one Rocky hunt and it seemed a lot like hunting mulies in open country.

Which of the two would you say is more difficult to hunt? Is one more difficult to find and pattern? Is the terrain one lives vs the other more accessible for a bowhunter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-11 AT 08:11PM (MST)[p]While I have never hunted either species with a bow, my opinion is that a Utah Rocky will be easier to tag with a bow than the Desert. My experience is that Desert sheep are not very densely populated in Utah and on the hunts I have been on, they are very difficult to pattern or predict. They seem to range over many more miles than the Utah Rockys I have hunted. Bow hunters have been successful with both species in Utah, but I am guessing Deserts are the toughest.
Good Luck...drawing the tag will be the biggest hurdle!

I have never been on a Rocky hunt so I don't know.

I just know that Desert sheep are spooky buggers. And there eye sight is unbelievable.

We were watching a decent ram on the Virgin that was so far away you couldn't see him without a spotting scope. We watched him for about ten minutes before he saw us. He didn't stop looking at us for the hour that we were there. He Literally stared at us and didn't move for an hour.

And I agree with LBH they are very hard to pattern. They don't stay in one place for long. Unless you catch them in the rut.

I have drawn a couple Rocky tags and chased 'em with the bow.

Like any other high country bow hunt it is better to have a good Ram off by himself than with a group like they most often times are.

The couple Mnt. Goat tags I have drawn and bow hunted are completely different as they will watch you come close to them as long as you are below them and they see you or if you can come in from above them and they do not see you, you canget close.

Never drawn a Desert Ram tag but been on a few hunts.
What would fear me the most is after the shot and the distance a Desert might go and what it would end up going into.....

Some of those crags and chutes are freaking unreal to navigate down and back up!

Alot of rifle shots drop on the spot or dang near it.

As far as odds to draw go.......seems like Rocky's have a pinch better odds.....

Pick one and stick with it as to many guys have like 4-5 points on multiple species and will never draw.....

Robb

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did review the harvest data on both the rocky and desert for 2009 and it confirms what you are saying. It looks like everyone was able to tag out on Rocky's but not the case for Desert.

One other concern I had is that some of the Rocky herds seem to be struggling in Ut and in other states as well. At least I've heard they stopped letting NR hunt Rocky's in NV. I know they have closed a couple units here in UT in recent years. If that trend continues those points may become useless. Any thoughts on that?

MT,
All wild sheep are susceptible to die offs, especially the bighorns (Desert and Rockies). Any exposure to domestic sheep or goats is death to bighorns. And because of that, nobody can predict a certain future for either!
However, Utah is now more proactive than ever before in translocating new herds and establishing more sheep, (because of financial support from sportsman's groups like UFNAWS and SFW). If anything, I think the Rocky herds have been more stable than the Deserts in Utah. And we have the best nursery herd of California Bighorns anywhere (Antelope Island) for starting new California Bighorn herds.
The problem is we are running out of domestic sheep free ranges to transplant them to. I would still stick with Rockies---especially if you want to "stick" one! (Oh I am funny today!)ha ha

Thanks littlebighorn....that's exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. I know the odds of me drawing are pretty slim but I have a few years left to try...oh and yes, you are funny today!

As usual, Littlebighorn is spot-on (and a bit funny).

To answer your question about which one would be tougher to "hunt" with a bow, I would say the Desert sheep would be more difficult to kill (on several levels). This is based on my personal experience only.

Every hunt is different though, that's why we keep going afield.

I just hope you get a chance to do a sheep hunt someday.

Zeke

If you draw the right Desert Sheep unit, in Utah, you can kill one with your bow.
In general terms however, I would say Rocky's with a bow, in Utah, would be the better bet.

Good Luck!

I have hunted both the Rocky and Desert sheep with my bow.

In 1993 I drew a Rattlesnake tag. I had never hunted sheep at that point and I put in a lot of time scouting, but only two days of hunting, to get my ram. Had I known what i know now, I would have passed the ram I arrowed on that hunt, but not knowing, was very happy with the ram I took.

1993Ram.jpg

In 2005 I drew my desert tag, but did not fill that tag. I did miss two good shots at the very best ram I saw. I saw no less than 5-160+/- rams, all within great rifle shots, but just too far for bowhunting. jI hunted the Dirty Devil unit for deserts.

I came close, but ended the hunt believing deserts are tougher to bow hunt than are Rocky's.

Since that time I have spent a lot of time photographing rams, many of which have been during rifle season and learned easy ways to get within 10 yards of most rams.

Here?s photo I took last year during the rifle hunt at about 10 yards.

PC091147copy2.jpg

Unless you really love desert sheep more than Rocky's I would suggest you go with the Rocky. If you get a tag, and do it with your bow, I would happy to help ya.

Have a good one. BB

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 03:27PM (MST)[p]Thanks to everyone for the advice! I am surprised to hear how many of you have drawn more than one tag. I think you have me convinced to go for the Rocky. I sure fell in love with them while help Koby(Ridgetop) out this last fall.

Let the points game begin.....

Wow BB.....your photos never cease to amaze! You will be the first person I call when I draw a tag....then you can tell me the secret to moving within 10 yards!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom