towing?

A

azmulyhuntr

I have a jeep that I want to tow across country and have been looking at diffrent trailers for this. I was just wondering do any of you trailer a vehicle to your huntig spots or for recreational use and what kind of trailers do you use? Pics would be helpfull if you have them.

Thanks Jason

Jason,
If you are towing a jeep with a dolly or 4 wheels on the ground make sure your transfer case is able to do it. Some jeeps do not have the true neutral on the transfer case. It will damage the TC if it is not a true neutral. I found out the hard way. Kevin

Jason,
I haul my old '63 Jeep around in a 20' enclosed car trailer. Probably a 16' & certainly an 18' would have been OK, but I also carry a large chest freezer, several boxes of hunting gear and often a trailbike or two. Also I figured 20' would have better resale value.

Mine is made by Aztec who gave me the best price at the time. I do have to be mindful of the total carrying capacity though. The first year I had the trailer, I took everything I thought I could possibly use and I wound up overloading it.

BTW what year is your Jeep?

Kevin what year Jeeps are you talking about?

Herb D

I have a 94 Wrangler I use for getting around on the back roads. Its street leagle but I am in Louisiana right now and am going to be driving home to AZ in july and wanted to bring my jeep for fun.

94 Wranglers should have a true neutral in the transfer case. Have a great time.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Transfer case neutral, key turned forward so column doesn't lock and tow it on all 4 wheels. you're good to go. the beauty of jeeps is that there are no mods necessary like driveline disconnects or anything required to tow them on all 4 wheels. the only problem we see is the old folks seem to forget a lot to turn the key forward. the first turn they make the column locks and the frt wheels are now being drug down the road sideways. we sell a lot of jeeps to RV owners for this reason.

I had a 95 yj, It has a NP-231 transfer case, it does not have a true neutral, a chain drive inside the TC connecting the front and rear shafts which makes it always turning when rear wheels are turning. I did what everyone always says" you can pull any Jeep" well I did pull it 1500 miles and the TC was toast when I arrived! Be careful, good luck , Kevin

I have towed my jeep alot with just a towbar.If I was gonna drive the distace you mentioned I would definately borrow,buy,or rent a car trailer.It is hard to back a four wheeled trailer (jeep with towbar).

beavis.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom