Traditional Muzzleloader Suggestions

nmmuley

Guys,

I am looking for some suggestions on a traditional muzzleloader for deer/elk hunting. A few of the units I like to hunt went to a restricted muzzleloading season. This restricts the use of in-line ignition, pelleted powder, sabots, belted bullets, and scopes. So far, I am leaning towards the traditions deerhunter percussion series in 50 cal. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Well, if you want to shoot round ball, i highly recommend the lyman great plains rifle in .54cal

traditions deerhunter is a good starter rifle but i honestly think the lyman would make you much more happier.

Or look for an old CVA Mountain Rifle. Those things make my mouth water!

I have a .54 Thompson Center Hawken that I am considering parting with. If interested in details email me [email protected]. I would recommend at least .54 cal for any round ball attack on deer as big as elk.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-09 AT 12:17PM (MST)[p]You may have more luck buying a used one. More selection. I have a T/C renegade that is a great rifle (sidelock). I highly recommend them. It is just as accurate with conicals as any of my inlines. It shoots great plains, maxiballs and no excuses well.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

In new you can't beat the value of a lyman great plains. Buy the 54 cal for round ball, but you can also buy a 50 cal backup barrel in 50 cal. fast twist for conicals for about $140.

I have a lyman trade rifle 54 cal with a 1 in 48 inch twist so i can shoot round balls and maxi's. Then you dont need to buy another barrel. I would stay with lyman cause i have had the best luck with them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom