Traditions Muzzleloader

aztap

I recieved a Traditions Timber Ridge 209 Muzzleloader for Christmas. It was a package deal from Cabela's. It's my first muzzleloader and a gift from my wife. I've only shot it a few times and so far it is pretty accurate. Does anyone have any experience with this particular rifle? How about any comments or suggestions on bullets, primers or powders? Has anyone used fiber optic sights? I may have to switch to them as my up close, "sight distance" vision is starting to go. Any other suggestions for a beginner who has a Javelina hunt in a couple of weeks?

I have a Traditions and a Thompson Center
Both are in the in the .50 Caliber

I shoot the power belt 300 Grain Platinum Bullets.I use these for both deer and elk and they definitely do the job

With 150 grain Hodgdon Triple Seven Pellets.The pellets just make things easier.But you need to make sure you have the magnum if you shot 150 grains of powder rather then the normal 100 Grains

There are 3 suggestions I can give you

Keep your barrel and plug clean.If your hunting and take more then 2 shots I would take your gun apart and clean it before you continue hunting.And then before you load your bullet and powder shoot off a primer to make sure your good to go

Go get some TC Natural Lube Bore Butter.Use this stuff as directed on the bottle when your guns not going to be in use for extend amounts of time.It season your barrel almost like a cast iron pot and makes clean up a lot easier when you done hunting

And just to stress the point keep you barrel and plug clean

ITS ALL ABOUT MEAT-IN WITH THE TAXIDERMIST

i have a traditions pursuit pro lt. same basic rifle that you have. i shoot 270 gr powerbelt platinums with two 50 gr and one 30 gr 777 pellets. itll shoot 2 in groups at 100 yards. i like my open truglo sights. i have heard that bighorn 209 will shoot cleaner and wont make the fire ring fouling. i havent tried it yet but i hear that is the way to go. i think for the money the traditions rifles are awesome. they use the same adresa barrels made in spain that are used in winchester apex and some other more expensive guns. i also clean with bore blaster and hoppes muzzleloader cleaner/lubricant. just remember to keep the barrel clean!!!!

Yep, I got the traditions pursuit. Not sure about all the other wordage in their. Bought the .50 cal last year. Love it. shoots great with those fiber optic sights out to 100 yds. Probably get a peep sight to hit better at 100-125 range. Not having that peep sight cost me a big deer this year. Used fiber optic sights, 295 grain powerbelts, 120 grains powder and dropped a big 4 pt. this year at 95 yds.

Like everyone will tell you, just remember to keep the gun nice and clean. Get lots of practice about knowing where each shot will hit. whether it's a clean barrel or a one shot run through it barrel. When in the field I always make sure that one shot has been run through it, before I have to make the shot that counts. I feel that I can better know where the one shot barrel will hit compared to a perfectly clean barrel.

Great gun!

Thanks for the tips, guys. I settled on a Hornady 250 grain low drag sabot powered by 100 grains of Pyrodex in pellets. My first shot at game resulted a dandy Javelina boar. A fun way to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom