Trail cam laws

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
OK, this may be a hot topic but I want to hear some opinions. There is a proposal right now in Nevada to somehow regulate the use of trail cams. Ideas bouncing around are:

No use during hunting seasons
Some distance requirement from water
Complete ban use by hunters

What do you think? What are the laws like in other states? I personally think its unenforceable.

The request is mostly coming from one County. I don't know if NDOW even thinks it's a good idea to regulate them.

This one is going to require a sizable popcorn supply!

IN MY OPINION......Trail cams are fine. They are simply another tool/product, in the hunting venue and I see no way that they can be reasonably regulated/controlled.

I personally believe that you are a dumb azz if you leave one in the field and expect it to be there when you go back for it. You most certainly have the right to expect it to be unmolested, but reality, in the modern world, is a different "horse" altogether.

To address the actual topic;

There are billions of dollars involved here, and personal rights issues at play.

Who is going to pay to enforce ANY kind of regulatory laws?
What agency is going to pay the cost of the "buyback" program that will be required if the Feds outlaw them completely?
A "license" program will be the first thing challenged in court.
ANY law passed against their use is going to have a delayed implementation date, probably like 2 years.

.........I could go on and on. Bottom line, there is going to be no easy fix, and battle lines will be drawn, in our own hunting community. In the end, all hunters will suffer from the bad publicity and more wedges designed to weaken us as a whole.

The "leaf lickers" will win a battle without firing a shot.....simply because WE have whiners and snivelers amongst ourselves.

By the way, I don't own one and have never used one......but I could care less if you do.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

Why would anyone care? One guy likes to put up cameras and another guy doesn't so he gets to tell the guy with a camera to pound sand? BS. I know of no negative impact by cameras. Guys trying to impose their will over another ought to just stick to abusing their dog and leave everyone else alone.

I would like to know how many animals are actually killed because someone found them on the camera and then sat there and waited for them to walk by.

I think it's very rare that a guy kills his buck or bull sitting on his camera. With that in mind, who cares about them?

If they don't create an unfair advantage or hurt anything why complain about it??? I just don't get it!

If guys would use them as a tool instead of "staking their claim" then things would be all good.
The major issue that I have is that when a guy has a camera at a location he thinks the location should be exclusively his. I also don't like scouting or hunting a place and someone's BS camera is clicking away but I can put up with it if the camera owner realizes that I'll be hunting there too.
I guess you could say that I'm not a big trail camera supporter BUT I AM a BIG supporter of hunter unification (stick together).

I also support personal rights! I don't think we should restrict trail cams because the next restriction might be something I really like! We might end up "divided and conquered" if we keep it up.
Zeke

MT already did(as usual we lead the way in common sense hunting regs)after the first season opens they are illegal to have in the field.

Hell if they killed every HUGE bull and Monster Deer that was on a cam, that would be something, BUT THEY DON'T.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>I would like to know how
>many animals are actually killed
>because someone found them on
>the camera and then sat
>there and waited for them
>to walk by.
>
>I think it's very rare that
>a guy kills his buck
>or bull sitting on his
>camera. With that in mind,
>who cares about them?
>
>If they don't create an unfair
>advantage or hurt anything why
>complain about it??? I just
>don't get it!

The reason you (and I) don't get it is because we don't consider hunting as an unethical activity. No one would question their use if we were using them to film a documentory on the life of a mule deer or elk. It's the killing that makes the difference.

And that goes for all those who complain about them whether they're hunters or not! Anti and non-hunters don't like the killing, period. And complaining hunters don't like you more easily killing one they could kill.

And the Montana law is politically correct, nothing more! They're worried about "image".

I pretty much agree with almost all of what Nickman said except I have had a couple and like to use them..I don't feel they give me and advantage and to be honest I have never hunted a spot where I have had them..I mainly just like them for the cool pics I sometimes get..Usually just have them setup on the winter range..

a576489c.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-13 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]Thought I might add this.
A couple of years ago, a guy was here hunting the G3 and we were having a BS session at the local butcher shop. He broke out a photo album of trail cam pics that were taken at a trailhead parking lot/campground, and some waterholes in Northern Ca.

Every species of animal that lives in this state, was captured on cams over a 2 year period......more or less.

Some of the most amazing pics I have ever seen.....including mountain lions having sex ON TOP OF A SUBURBAN IN THE PARKING LOT!

He had bobcats with fawns in their mouths, coyotes with bobcats in their mouths, etc, etc. The guy was WAY tender about sharing and I didn't press him. Wish I had.

They can produce some fantastic pics......as the one snort posted above.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-13 AT 03:13PM (MST)[p]Plus ONE Zeke. Use them or don't, but do not believe because your camera is on a water hole, saddle, game trail or whatever that the spot is yours. Realize that it is just a tool and that it may even just attract attention to the spot and invite others that have as much right at the spot as you do.

Camera's are great on private property where a person can control the public access, but on public land no one can expect to leave a blind, camera or a note stuck to a tree, stating that this spot is mine and I will be here during the hunt so all others hunters must move on.

If I was to leave a camera in the woods I would expect to have a few people mess with me alittle. I would also believe that their would be those that would use a camera and/or card reader and look through the pictures and return the card in the same shape it was removed. No harm no foul. All is good. everyone is happy and seen what everyone else seen. Just my thought!!!

We need to work together and not divided. Before long hunters will be stocking others spots and chasing game from them and their spot. Kind of sound like what the anti hunters have done in the past and the states have had to pass laws of harrasment to address the problem.

Just what the anti's would love is to sit back in their comfortable chair at home and have hunters do their dirty work for them to other hunters.

Yes I do believe the majority on this site are honest and have common sence and would leave others property alone. Hopefully things are left alone and those using and leaving items in the field also use their common sence.

Hope all have a great day and hopefully a great year of scouting and hunting!!!

OUTLAW every SOB'ing one of them!

NVB's last Sentence is Correct,"You'll never Enforce any kind of Laws put upon them"!

After OUTLAWING them Completely,Let there be Fair Game on the TARDS that will still be breaking the Law with their Cams!

End of Story!

Let's take all the Technology of the Last 40 years & get rid of it completely!

Yes even the Fart Silencers!

I'd rather take my Chances Hunting in Conditions like the Late 60's than all the BULLSSHHIIT New Technology Gadgets ever built since Piled up on Earth in one pile!

Most Modern Day wanna-be PUUSSYY Hunters think they gotta have 200K worth of Worthless CRAP just so they can BRAGG when they get a PISSCUTTER Buck!

JUDAS!

H!

F'N!

PRIEST!

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

99% of us are gear whores to some degree...Expensive glass, Ultra Mega Magnum over bored deer rifles etc... If you're not riding a horse to you're hunting grounds with a Iron sighted dirt thirty model 94 in the scabbard you can't really ##### about gear whores...lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I don't even use mine for hunting there mostly for getting pics of big bucks on their winter range.
I also have pics of every critter in the woods on them... from rats to bears.
We hunters need to stick together. This is just another bunny hugger tactic to divide us.If you don't want to use one DON'T
But don't condemn someone that does.Just because you get a pic of a bull or buck doesn't mean you can kill it.You can confirm its there by the old fashion way.....look for tracks.I think if you see someones camera and don't like it drop your drawers and moon em!!
But leave the camera alone.

CC

>OUTLAW every SOB'ing one of them!
>
>
>NVB's last Sentence is Correct,"You'll never
>Enforce any kind of Laws
>put upon them"!
>
>After OUTLAWING them Completely,Let there be
>Fair Game on the TARDS
>that will still be breaking
>the Law with their Cams!
>
>
>End of Story!
>
>Let's take all the Technology of
>the Last 40 years &
>get rid of it completely!
>
>
>Yes even the Fart Silencers!
>
>I'd rather take my Chances Hunting
>in Conditions like the Late
>60's than all the BULLSSHHIIT
>New Technology Gadgets ever built
>since Piled up on Earth
>in one pile!
>
>Most Modern Day wanna-be PUUSSYY Hunters
>think they gotta have 200K
>worth of Worthless CRAP just
>so they can BRAGG when
>they get a PISSCUTTER Buck!
>

Why only 40 years ago? Why not 140 years? 440 years? 1,440 years? 4,440 years? When exactly did advancements in technology make us TARDS? Sharp rocks we chipped? Sticks we trimmed? Or did it happen when we started putting those nasty sharp rocks and evil trimmed sticks together with rawhide? Or did it happen when you found you couldn't justify buying some of that "worthless crap" with the spouse or family?

You're more than welcome to hunt your way, but I'm more than welcome to hunt my way as well, thank you very much!

Years ago when I was given one(35mm) and was going to put it up in the Sierras near my cabin,I asked the local FS guy about policy on NF lands. He said it was illegal and they would be taken down,confiscated if found. I believe that is still FS policy. Same with camps and stands. Of course their are no in the field folks much these days.
I used it a few times since here in NM on private land. Nice toy/tool,but I don't really see the need for them. Personal preference I guess.

Now the outfitter I am working with wants me to put some up on our ranches that I am a ranch co-op member of. I see elk and deer.etc almost daily. I send him and others some tease pics once in a while and really would rather have the hunter see them himself and take the picture when the animal is on the ground.
That big bull or buck cam photo taken on public lands is on public lands and a pic is not a sure thing it will be there when a person is hunting.....even on private lands.
It's called "Hunting,not Shopping"!

They are fun and interesting to use no doubt, but in places I can see where they have kind of ruined the adventuresome part of actually hunting, much of the arid state of Nevada is one place and I know some won't agree but in the AZ strip they seem to have been the big reason for many fairly recent big kills and then the subsequent decline in big buck deer.

I think Montana has some trail cam laws....

They try to regulate trail cams, then spotting scopes then binos then guns. Then what. If you don't like them then don't use them, if you do then good for you and share some pics

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-13 AT 06:44PM (MST)[p]Great points made by all! Sweet pic, BuckSnort! I use my cams in the same way you speak of- I just like looking at the pics mostly. I wouldn't be opposed to having to take them down for hunting season, though-especially if another hunter felt it was interfering with their hunt in some way. I usually have them down by then anyway. I would also point out that myself or any of my hunting buds have NEVER killed any animal we found with the use of a trailcam.

I have never had my cams messed with by another individual. Whenever a tcam is at the same place mine is, so far no one has messed with mine; nor I with theirs. I realize it's probably just a matter of time until that happens, but that's the chance I take by leaving it out there for criminals to steal. Same chance I take when parking my truck to go hunting, I suppose. Got plenty of pics of people over the years, too!

Bessy- Where can a guy get ahold of a couple of those fart silencers?? I got a couple hunting buddies who could use 'em!! Do they suppress the smell, too??

>>OUTLAW every SOB'ing one of them!
>>
>>
>>NVB's last Sentence is Correct,"You'll never
>>Enforce any kind of Laws
>>put upon them"!
>>
>>After OUTLAWING them Completely,Let there be
>>Fair Game on the TARDS
>>that will still be breaking
>>the Law with their Cams!
>>
>>
>>End of Story!
>>
>>Let's take all the Technology of
>>the Last 40 years &
>>get rid of it completely!
>>
>>
>>Yes even the Fart Silencers!
>>
>>I'd rather take my Chances Hunting
>>in Conditions like the Late
>>60's than all the BULLSSHHIIT
>>New Technology Gadgets ever built
>>since Piled up on Earth
>>in one pile!
>>
>>Most Modern Day wanna-be PUUSSYY Hunters
>>think they gotta have 200K
>>worth of Worthless CRAP just
>>so they can BRAGG when
>>they get a PISSCUTTER Buck!
>>
>
>Why only 40 years ago? Why
>not 140 years? 440 years?
>1,440 years? 4,440 years? When
>exactly did advancements in technology
>make us TARDS? Sharp rocks
>we chipped? Sticks we trimmed?
>Or did it happen when
>we started putting those nasty
>sharp rocks and evil trimmed
>sticks together with rawhide? Or
>did it happen when you
>found you couldn't justify buying
>some of that "worthless crap"
>with the spouse or family?
>
>
>You're more than welcome to hunt
>your way, but I'm more
>than welcome to hunt my
>way as well, thank you
>very much!

OK!

I'll go back 50 years!:D

Family is First!

But if I decide to Buy something I'll probably do it & it won't be any of that Worthless CRAP!

"""Can you Imagine somebody Watchin everything you do?"""

"""This is the USA where people get paid to watch people that are watchin you!"""

Keep Puttin your Trail-Cams up & People like NICKY will keep takin em down!:D

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

I support no littering on public lands. I support no scarring of trees with cables, nails or screws.

No littering by leaving trail cameras.

Trail cams? i guess some put them over trails but why not call them what they are, Spy Cams?

Spy Cams on Gov property, i'd vote No!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

How about the Forest service Cam, Fish and Game cam, Weather cam
Wildlife cam showing animals for study(college studies/Bio studies)I guess they are all litter and should be "STOLEN" too, I mean picked up.

"The request is mostly coming from one County. I don't know if NDOW even thinks it's a good idea to regulate them."

This wouldn't be those goofballs in Churchill County would it...... :) Terry

Consider this.....

Cabelas has 14 pages dedicated to trail cams in their archery catalog, they have 16 Pages dedicated to bows. Most cameras are named after some tv celebrity which means there is plenty of margin for extra marketing. Game cams are purchased in multiples, features change from year to year so they get upgraded and replaced with greater frequency than other types of outdoor gear. They are a cash cow for retailors. Cellular and data companies are even getting a cut nowadays.

Game cameras are also a very cheap way to capture data, when outfitter A teams up with B and C, they can build a network of data that can monitor large sections of land, employing hundreds of game cameras. I think there is a surplus of cheap camera data and that is a big reason some organizations are trying to expand auction and other premium tags. Regular diy hunters arent as interested or lack the funds to hire the outfitters with access to this data warehouse so the so called conservation orgs work to expand their market.

All the casual diy camera users sit back and wonder what the harm is while the manufacturers, retailors and auction profiteers watch us dig our graves with these gadgets and laugh. Banning cameras on public land would be a great first step toward fixing a whole lot that is wrong with hunting right now.

Ryan

Trail cams are a great tool. I use them a lot but I DO NOT claim stake on the area my camera is. I expect other people to be there. I just don't have time to spend day after day in the hills scouting. It's a real time saver for me. I do not think they should ban or restrict them.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-13 AT 07:45PM (MST)[p]Ban the damn things! I've used them in the past and have had all but 1 stolen! Ever hear me cry about them??? Nope! I knew the risk when I left them hanging there!

But my reasons for banning then have nothing to do with theives. I think they are a serious problem and are deffinitly hurting the truly monster animals in most trophy units. Look at the strip in AZ, there is not a deer alive in that unit that isn't known about, nicknamed and patterned now. All because of 500 trail cameras hanging on every waterhole, trail and ridge out there! All it takes to be a great outfitter in AZ now days is 1000 trail cams! It's sickening to me that these huge bucks are hunted exclusively in today's world. It used to an incredible sight seeing those monsters from 13a & 13b show up in magazines. Now there's always 20+ trail cam pics included in the story!

Nothing better than a guy sitting on a ridge and glassing up a monster buck with his own eyes and watching him and patterning him. It's a lost talent now days.

I just call em as I see em!

Have to just get rid of it all then. Two way radios, GPS , chronographing and all other electronic devices also. Get rid of one you have to get rid of em all. Right?

Nooch that is another one of the dumbest arguments that I've heard on this subject. Name one of those items that you have listed there that can be left unmanned and track game animals with you being 2500 miles away!!! And I'm all for banning 2 way radios as well. :)

I just call em as I see em!

I am not trying to argue with anyone. I have mixed thoughts about all the things I listed. Even trail cameras , even though I use them myself. I wonder if I should . I just don't think trail cams hurt anything.. I think of it as another tool. Like I said , I do not have the time or money to spend all my time in the mountains. JMO. Not trying to argue at all.

That's the problem, they are another tool, another tool to get the biggest trophy in the shrinking world of wildlife.

Enjoy the latest posts showing the big bucks in Utah? notice the houses and yards in the background of the photos? there is a message in that.
All our technology has about done the real trophy animals in on public land hunting areas, especially when it comes to mule deer.

You better get em now because we aren't leaving much for the future, there is either going to be very few trophy's or very few tags, either way its a lot of lost opportunity for future sportsmen.

Too my understanding , Arizona is regulating the use of Trail Cams ... but due to the mixed details , the Wardens on 13a and 13b are not enforcing the Law . The proposed Law is supposedly to not having TrailCams placed w/n 100' ft from the water source . So now , rather than "Seeing" Several Cameras in 1 (usually) 10ft radius spot , you'd see several more Cameras Spread out all over the place , likely 30 Cameras , surrounding the whole perimeter of the Water Source , looking really pathetic and ugly . The Biggest problem AZG&F have been dealing w/ is Camera owners throwing there "Toxic" Batteries in the Bush's and ground , and are worried about contaminating the ground . Me personnaly have and use several Hundred rechargeable Tenergy AA and PowerEX Rechargeable Batteries , always reusing them . Saves a lot of $$ in the long Term . 2nd issue the AZG&F have been facing are complaints Re: the Trail Cam Thieves . It's an ongoing problem out there , every year . But as of last year , the Sheriff Department and AZG&F assure us , that Prosecution to the fullest extent will occur to the thieves . 3rd issue is entitlement . some Guide Services think they're entitled to a whole area too themselves , blocking roads to access another area . This happened to a DYI Hunter last year , someone whom I provided Free info to . For those of ya that know Low Mountain and Black Rock MT area , there is only 1 main road that goes from the bottom of LowMountain where the Cedar Pockets outlook area is at , to the top of Black Rock MT . A Guide Service crew blocked that Road , not allowing a DYI hunter to pass and access to BlackRock MT , only because they had a Hunter on a water hole . FYI , if any of ya have any such experience such as this , take pics and report it to the Game and Fish , the Services will get fined and possibily get there licenses revoked . Me , yes I have several Cameras that I utilize . For the most part it's all due to passion and acquiring info , and alot of information I pass over to the AZG&F .

"Have to just get rid of it all then. Two way radios, GPS , chronographing and all other electronic devices also. Get rid of one you have to get rid of em all. Right?"

Nope, It IS illegal to use two way radios to help locate game in some states, can't drive 4 wheelers off road, can't use a plane to located game, shoot one from a plane, or by sitting at home at your computer and shooting an animal with a remote gun(it was tried and outlawed here in Texas).....

There are plently of things banned that help hunters get a better advantage. We can decide where to draw the line.

I own and have used them, but would support a ban on public land during hunting season. I would also be for fining anyone who would damage a tree (screws, etc) to attach one to keep it from being stolen.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

DYNAMITE can we still use it to fish from a boat.

AZshtickman said:

"The request is mostly coming from one County. I don't know if NDOW even thinks it's a good idea to regulate them."

This wouldn't be those goofballs in Churchill County would it...... Terry"

No its not coming from Churchill. It originated in Douglas County.

I use my trail cameras to get my lazy butt out in the hills before the hunt. It is fun to see what crazy animals show up on the camera and I would say that it is more for fun than for finding the big animal. That being said, I did hike up a canyon one day and laughed out loud after the 8th camera took my picture as I walked by. I choose to leave them alone and in no way feel that they stake my ground. Just make sure you turn it back on after you look at my card and don't erase my pictures before I see them.

Advice from a Grizzly: Live Large. Take
what is yours. Scratch what itches.

Info I just got from a friend:
The Commission voted to send a draft regulation to LCB (the attorneys) for formal draft. The vote was split like 8-1 to not allow trail cameras for purposes of hunting from Aug. 1 - Dec. 31, so that will likely be in the regulation. Then a Commissioner moved to not allow trail cameras at any time within 200' of a water source, and that passed like 6-3 or 5-3.
At some point a draft regulation will come back from attorneys addressing both points. Then it will be voted on, and all, some, or none could pass as law.

So no restrictions for now, but it sounds like at least some are in the future.

Would these rules apply to private land??? what if your wanting to watch game and trespassers on your land?

I think Montana has certain dates to set them up

They need to focus on subject of scopes to shoot 1300 yards ++++++.

Ban them on public land and require manufacturers to collect a small percentage (similar to Pittman Robertson for firearms and ammunition) that is put into a bounty fund. This would allow guys to turn in their own cameras for a couple bucks or turn in cameras they find abandoned on public land. If guys want to keep their cameras and use them on private land they can go nuts and hang them like Christmas tree ornaments if they want.

I got a hunting catalog from Cabelas last year that had more pages dedicated to trail cameras than archery equipment. As far as I can tell these "made in China" devices contribute nothing to public wildlife and fishing funds and like most electronics devices offer great profits for the manufacturers and retailors. There is plenty of margin in these products to pay for self regulation so the enforcement concern is negligible.

We can play the "we all need to stick together as hunters" song about technology until we are blue in the face but the reality is that there are more non-hunters than hunters in this world. It has been my experience that most non-hunters respect and support our sport as long as we practice basic fair chase principles. An expectation that a hunter actually be physically near the animal during the hunt seems pretty reasonable to me. Keeping our sport open to our kids in the future is more important to me than keeping camera factories open in China. I could care less about Cabelas annual sales.

Ryan

>Ban them on public land and
>require manufacturers to collect a
>small percentage (similar to Pittman
>Robertson for firearms and ammunition)
>that is put into a
>bounty fund. This would allow
>guys to turn in their
>own cameras for a couple
>bucks or turn in cameras
>they find abandoned on public
>land. If guys want to