Trail camera question

marley

Very Active Member
I know absolutely nothing about trail cameras and was thinking of getting a few for my upcoming elk unit. Those of you that use them what brands and models are good but not too expensive (within $100-200)? Do they burn through batteries pretty quick? The area I will be hunting in is pretty far in the backcountry so I may not be able to check them too often, maybe once every three weeks or so. Will the batteries last that long? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just purchased three of the Moultrie M-100's to try out. I'm hoping they perform good, most of these cams are in the $140-$200 range. These cams should last at least three weeks on AA's, but I'll know about them in another month. Also look into the Moultrie 80XT, it looked to be a great cam for the price. You can pick them up on ebay for $123 or other stores for $160.

I've also used cuddeback and have had good success with them. The best part about any of their cams is the quick trigger speed. Good luck with what you choose!

My theory is I use the cheapest you can buy. With all that gets stolen now days, its not worth the money. I have had 2 elk tags and used the wildview brand. I got them for 50 $ or so. I got 3 for the price of 1. I also have a few others that cost more money. BUT, in all honesty, my wildview take just as good of pics as the others that I have. If money is not an issue, there are alot out there. About all of them will do there job well.

Good luck on the hunt.

I use the Moultrie cameras & have had all good luck. They will take over 1000 pic.s on one set of 6 "D" batteries & only cost $100.00 each.

I love the Moultrie M-80 that I got last year. They don't cost a lot, and it you put 8 Energizer AA (8X) batteries in them they last for thousands of pictures. Mine are still at 93% percent charged after taking hundreds of pictures and videos last year.

I say use the "a-cliff" cameras. In particular the "go jump" models with the "off" version software. I believe they are made by "fuk-u" outdoors and advertised on the "everyone hates marley" network.

hope that helps

Cheaper is better when you consider all the low-class a-holes out there that will mess with your stuff.I've used Moultries with good success,but I can't say much for battery life on the older models that I am still using.Looks like I'll have to retire a couple of them this year.My newest one,which uses D-cell,won't even turn on.

Just bought a new one today for $65 at Sportsman's Warehouse.I used to have unlimited access to 6-volt batteries,so I didn't mind burning through one of those per week per camera.I still have several to use up,so I'll use these old Moultries til they give out on me.

what the others said about moultree. there cheap and sometimes at cabelas you can get free shipping. i set mine up back in october and its still up with 45% battery life left. its unreal and takes great pictures.

Stinky that didn't help at all. Thanks for trying.

I was actually looking at the Moultrie m-80s. They are on sale in Cabelas so it's good to hear good reviews about them. Thanks again.

I use cuddebacks. Their trigger speed is unmatched. They are perfect for trails and wallows. 4-D batteries will last all summer long. Look on Ebay for deals.

Buy cheap dude! Too many butt heads out there that think whatever they find in the woods they are welcome to take. If you put them out on public land be prepared to get them stolen. I quit putting them out except in a few places I know the chances of someone stealing them is minimal.

It's always an adventure!!!

I use the Bushnell Trophy cam. it's small, uses AA battery's and takes great pics. I left one of my camera's up for 8 months, went back and it was still taking pictures. I was very impressed.

I use primos. Take good pics....are user friendly and not real expensive. The batteries last months. I have bushnells as well but I like primos better

BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM !!! Check out Trailcampro.com , these guys have the best competitive comparison reviews and examples online . Free shipping !!! I own almost 30 Bushnell Trophy Cam . Adverse to extreme cold and hot weather . 10,000 + pics , and now the best night pictures if you buy the HD model . Stealthcam and Moultrie do not do well in extreme cold, even w/ Energizer batteries . Reconyx, too expensive . Bushnell is the way to go IMO, and experience's .

I just picked up last years model primos x cam for cheap. I will set it up soon and see what happens.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I did just buy 5 bushnell trophy cam pics for zim. the outfitter put a bait but an old riverbed and heres a night shot

6878bigtom2.jpg

and here's a daytime photo.

2888leopard2.jpg

and yes those are 2 different cats. One big tom and one nice female. stinking tom at more than half that friggin impala. By the looks of the tom before he ate im wondering where he put it.

I purchased the Cabela's exclusive Stealth Cam Delta 8 last year and have been impressed. The video option also has a microphone to record sound. It takes great pictures. Right now they are on sale for $99.00 and you can purchase a secure metal box and python cable to secure them.

8241sunp0010.jpg

8929sunp0011.jpg

This third picture is from my Wildview 2mp trail cam. I purchased a two pack for just a little over $100.00 and you can buy a plate/cable lock from Wildview to secure them.

331upr_elk_wallows_2010_032.jpg

I have some Bushnell Trail Sentry Model 5.0 MP w/ Night Vision cameras for sale if you are still looking for some trail cams. I am asking $75 a piece for them. If they get stolen its better than losing $100-$200. They take pretty decent pictures too. I set one up while helping out at a Real Soccer game and I could read license plates on cars that we were parking. They are brand new, still in the clam shell packaging. Will ship or you can pick up in Salt Lake. Thanks.

2520sunp0018.jpg

I've been pretty happy with the Bushnell Trophy Cam I bought a couple years ago, I've had regular AA batteries go over nine months. Takes decent 5MP pics daytime or night.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I like the Bushnell Trophy Cams myself. They have it all--reliability, battery life, trigger speed, distance shots, and night shots. However, you might want to go cheap as has been said if thievery is an issue.

my moultree is so quick it caught this bird just coming into the picture. now thats fast and clear.

070.jpg

Just got a moultrie M100 off e-bay for 140 bucks with a security box all brand new. Great so far and tons of options for that much money.

I have a moultrie and a few bushnells. I have liked the bushnell because they are small, good battery life and i like there locking box. Here are a is a night picture and a morning picturefor you to look at. One thing to remember is most of the "good" animals are hitting you cameras at dusk and dawn. So low light is the most important imho.
6968pict0262.jpg

8170pict0110.jpg

I have my cameras turn down to 5 meg pictures. If you are packing them on the mountain . The AA bateries and the smaller cameras are nice. I am going to pick up one of the new bushnell hds and try one of those here in the next few weeks. It fits in the same lock boxs as the old cameras which is nice.

BIGJOHN : If you like your older Bushnell's , you will love the newer Bushnell Trophy Cam HD !!! I personally have 22 2011 Bushnells , then bought 6 of the 2012 Bushnell HD's . If you think night pictures are good on the 2011 and previous year models, wait until you view night photos on the Newer HD models . They are very well improved, including , they cut the trigger speed in half and recovery time in half . they're inlines w/ Reconyx . You can buy them for $160.00 through a company on Ebay .

I have used 3 brands moultrie I40, I60 M80
cuddeback capture IR and attack IR
Stealthcam

The cuddebacks are garbage they do have a quick trigger but the photos are crap, they are so very grainy and the animals have to be within 8 feet for night picts or you can not make out anything, and they are the most expensive of the cameras I own. they are easy to set up but definatly would go another direction if I were you. I have 3 total cuddebacks and so far it is the only camera that I have had stop working too.

the Stealth cam has by far the best picture quality but the sensativity is very high and the speed is not great so you will get a lot of blank photos from grass etc. it is a larger camera and little more difficult to program but still not terrible. Not a bad camera but there is better for the price.

The moultries are the bomb I have 3 I40's and they take good pictures day and night, the batteries last forever and I dont get many blank photose with them. the range in great 50 to 60 feet. set up is medium difficulty and they are a little larger but you can pick them up for under $100. I have had these for 4 years and not had an issue with them. I just purchased two M80's and have tested them they seem to be equivilent to the I40's in pict quality and they are alot smaller. I picked they up for $115 each. hopefully they will be as great as the I40's and I60's.

Stellstud
My boxes are made by bushnell. I believe i paid 29.00 each for them. I just take my impact driver and screw it to a tree with 3" lags.They come with a little lock.
Az what company has the deal on the HD camera's ?

BIGJOHNT : It's Pine Mountain Archery .... Free shipping as well !!! Trailcampro has several great examples of different Trail camera photos you can compare . Trailcampro has got to be the best website on Trail cameras . All the info and photo samples , detection tests, detection zone tests, trigger speed tests , on virtually every trail cam there is . Though I still buy elsewhere .

Aother vote for the Bushnell trophy cams. Small camera and the AA batteries will last a year. Also has video mode. about 160.00 bucks at amazon.com.

4781pict0018.jpg

2028pict0044.jpg

4261pict0296.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom