TRAIL CAMERA'S

ruthunter

Well went up and checked cameras and as we got to the first camera we noticed it was gone. Thats right another camera gets stolen. Why would someone steal a camera that they know somebody put up for a reason? This camera was marked with our phone number and name on the front in sharpie marker. Oh and by the way this camera was in 6as....

Was it on a water tank?
Granted, property should not be stolen regardless where it is, but to put it where many go tempts the scum of the world.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-09 AT 08:48AM (MST)[p]This was a wildview camera in 6A with elk deer and bear on camera, any tips leading to these SCUM bags will be appreciated!!

hey all - - I hate thieves! All i hear anymore is trail cams stolen - It may be time take whatever steps necessary to keep them from stealing your property - lock box's -hide them a little better --etc.
We'll never know the reasons behind these thefts - either they wanted a new camera or they wanted to discourage you from setting cams in this spot - Next they may just simply destroy it!
You are not alone! maybe a dye bomb like they use for bank robbers ? set- up a second camera to catch'm !

no easy answer to this one - GH

To bad they don't make a trail cam with a LOJACK tracking device that could give GPS locations if the camera was stolen.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-09 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]Mesquitehunter-I was just telling desertbucks yesterday the same thing. I think they should make one that you can track down if it was stolen. That now makes 5 camera's stolen for us in the last 3 years and granted 3 were on waterholes but 2 of them were out in areas where we had to hike into. Any info regarding are stolen camera would be appreciatted and as desertbucks stated there was a bear,deer, turkey and a very nice bull on it, we think the camera was stolen last weekend either sat or sunday....>>--------------------->

ruthunter,we may be onto something here. Maybe we can persuade some these camera makers to look into it as an option.

I was thinking if you could somehow put a tag or engrave on the camera that says" WARNING PROPERTY OF AZGFD. THIS CAMERA IS INSERTED WITH A GPS TRACKING DEVISE" or something along those lines, that could convince somebody not to steal it.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-09 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-09 AT 03:29?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-09 AT 03:24?PM (MST)

I got to disagree with stating it has a tracking devise - They will simply destroy it. There is no simple solution to these thefts - the tracking chip seems to be the easiest most probable idea - heres something interesting that came out in 07 maybe its up and going by now - this things are less 1/4 in square and can easily hide behind a battery or piece of camo tape - very interesting -

S5 "Poor Man's LoJack" Tracking Chips Will Run for Four Years, Cost $2,

When Spidey tosses one of those sticky spiders to a getaway car, suspicious villain or hot chick he plans to stalk rescue later, we take for granted that the tracking chip inside is going to work right? Wireless-technology developer S5 plans to deploy a network of receivers in cities, so that its tiny $2 transmitter chip's unlicensed 915MHz signal can be triangulated wherever it comes from, indoors or out. You'll probably recognize this as a sort of inverted GPS?and also as an infrastructure nightmare?but there are reasons why this harebrained scheme just might work:

Besides the chip's extraordinarily small size and price?$2 though the module itself will cost $7?the main boast is that it will be able to be spotted wherever there is a network of receivers, whether the chip itself is indoors or out. S5 is cautious about managing expectations though: the claim is "accurate location equivalent to GPS."

What's more interesting still is the battery life, which S5 says can last up to four years. That is a stark contrast to current GPS trackers, which need to be charged regularly to be functional.

The trick will be getting enough people to adopt the technology, which is why it's giving away the design of the chip itself, royalty free. The company intends to charge money on the service itself, at somewhere around $1 per month.

The S5 vision is lightweight tags on everything from cats to cars to crates, but they gotta get cracking on that network if the thing will ever happen. According to the company, "several" cities will get S5 receiver towers next year, with 35 cities within three years. Even then, if you want to hide, you just have to drive to the outskirts of town, like the Dukes of Hazzard used to do.

I leave you with some final caveats from the S5 website:
? "Four-years is the approximate life of a 2100 mAh battery when the tag transmits every 30 minutes. "
? "Actual coverage will depend on service availability and network coverage by city."
? "This is an estimated price based on a number of factors, including estimated manufacturing volume and a basic set of features and is subject to change at any time."
if interested just go to www.s5w.com

Lol. on the front of this camera it did say Property of AZ Game and fish with the owner name and phone number written in black marker on the cover.

Hmmm, and they still took it.

That locater chip muleymaniac is talking about sounds like a good idea but at the same time it kind of freaks me out.

Guys-
First let me say that I have been a 3 time victim of camera theft. Camera theives should be tortured and slowly killed if you ask me.

That said, you guys need to wake up. If you do not lock up you cams in a home made steel box then you need to EXPECT it to get stolen. If you choose to use cameras as part of your arsonal the you need to expect to lose some even if they are locked up.

Some will tell you to place them on trails and the like where theives won't find them. Fine and dandy if you are just after some nice photo's for your kids, But if you are trying to effectivly find the biggest animals, then water is where you need to have your cams.

Its up to each individual to decide if the risk is worth the reward. To me it is. And just for the record Cameras, Treestands ect... are percived by law enforcment as "abandoned property" and could care less how mad you are about losing your camera.

If you use them you will eventually lose them. Sad truth. You guys need to relize that just because someone is a "hunter" or is out in the woods doesn't mean squat as to what their morals are. Lock or Lose 'em and that still guarantees nothing.

Property of G&F, are you kidding me?

With the knotheads out there, that's just asking for:
A: Get them stolen.
B: Get them shot up!

I lost two on the Strip last year and one in Unit 10. This year, each camera will have a camera taking photos of it.

Probably shouldn't broadcast that info so all the criminals can see it, but rest assured if I get a photo of a scumbag taking a camera, it goes to law enforcement and on the net..

Seems to me I read where that happened last year....

Also make sure you don't use the flash models as when the scum walk up early or late the flash goes off, game's over! (I learned that one the hard way)

Next thing is when I'm going scouting for a week or so, I'll put 'em out during the week and not on the weekends, where the weekend warriors can get at 'em.

When I'm out there in mid-week I don't see a lot of folks and it is so easy to put a camera in a place to photograph vehicles passing through or stopping to "take a look".

Shame we have to do all of this just to protect property, but that's the way it is.

Yep, thieves (and vandals) are high on my list to see go extinct.

Don Martin

I've had 2 stolen and fully expect to have more. I set them out in areas that have little to no trees so I drive a 5 foot rod in the ground and strap my cameras to a 2x4 clamped to the rod. Pretty easy to steal.

The one that pissed me off was when the guy left a note with a smiley face. If I could have gotten my hands on him.....

Thieves are working their way up to the top of my list. Right under child molesters.
Eventually you guys will catch one of these aholes and when you do, you need to make an example out of them.

Maybe someone will get a picture of a guy stealing one....I am going to start hiding a second one that is facing the area of the first one...>>-------------->

Went yesterday to check on of my cams. Same here... it was gone. I screamed and cursed for about ten minutes. I know there was good pictures of a deer I've been watching, I found fresh tracks all over where the camera was pointed. Is camera theft more of a problem in AZ than anywhere else? I've never really hunted anywhere else. I guess I'll fork over the cash and buy another. I definately won't let that ruin my hunting opportunity.

Ruthunter and others that have cameras up:
How long do you go inbetween checking on cameras?
Do you put them in remote areas?
Do your cameras come with cable locks and if so do you use them?

These questions and stories of stolen cameras keep me from buying one.
It seems like you need a camera for the camera to catch thieves!
I hope you catch the scum that took them.
If you are reading this and are one of those thieves do the right thing!!!

Jeff

I went back and read most of the other posts
and they answered my questions.

Wow Creed!!
I would gladly help you beat the crap out
of that person! some nerve!

Jeff

I usually go up every weeekend and i have had cameras on water and cameras in remote areas and both have been stolen. The whole cable and lock is a good thing but if they want it bad enough they will get it.....

I usually check cameras about once a week. The camera that was stolen has not moved since May. Have a few picks of people seeing it and most people just walk away when they see it. They are not in really remote areas, but areas that no one would want to go unless they are hunting. So I would think it was other hunters that either said "Hey, free camera!" or "I don't want this guy scouting this area." Either way wrong is wrong. I do expect this kind of thing with the quality of people out there, but it still makes you mad when it happens.

I would put up another trail camera in a place that sees only the trail camera I am using to track game. I would also rig up the 1st trail camera with a paint bomb like the banks use to trace money in a bank robbey. That way if they open the camera in view of your (spy) camera you would make a hit on the internet. The guys would be wearing a color of paint of your choosing and you would more than likely catch them(red handed?).

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom