Trail Cameras

ibow4it2

I'm looking to purchase a trail camera for an upcoming bear hunt with the boy. I have never owned or used them and am pretty much clueless other than what I see advertiesed on commercials. I was looking today at the Moultree 880 which is one of the two new ones this year for Moutrie.

What are some of the better trail cameras you guys/gals have used (Moultrie, Stealth, Busnell, Wildgame Innovations) etc. and the pros/cons with each. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I own some moultrie cams and they are easy to set up and use and take good pics day and night.Down side for me is battery life and they trigger easy alote of blank pics.I have also used stealth cams and will never get another just a pain for me to set up.Hope that helps but one thing for sure is they are fun to play with.And for bears I would try something without a flash cuz they get curious and will make a chew toy out of it or move your aim point.

Tasco makes a nice camera for $50. I've got a bunch of them. They take good pics. Small, light weight, inexpensive. Can't ask for much more.

Course you could go get a high end Cuddeback for $500 too.

All trail cameras take pictures.

I use cuddeback and they work excellent. Ive never had a problem with them. Ive bought all of them for 100$ or less. There are so many options any more you just have pick one and try it. Good luck.

I have 3 Bushnell Trophy Cams and really like them.
The best features for me are LONG battery life (1 yr.) and they work in very cold temps as I use them in the winter to get pics of rutting bucks.Had Stealth cam before and only got 1 to 2 weeks of battery life.

CC

I have used Moultree, and Tasco. They both take good pictures. I use them all the time in Idaho for bears. They're a ton of fun looking at all the critters coming to the bait. One thing to consider is a lock box. I have had 2 cameras stolen in Utah, and an sd card. I'm not sure why people in Utah can't leave other peoples stuff alone.
I'm sure someone will take offense, but 5 years hunting bears in Idaho, no problems. One LE Elk hunt in Utah nothing but problems.

My only bit of advice is there's no need to spend big $$. I see cameras for $500 and more and wonder why.

>Tasco makes a nice camera for
>$50. I've got a bunch
>of them. They take good
>pics. Small, light weight, inexpensive.
>Can't ask for much more.
>
>
>Course you could go get a
>high end Cuddeback for $500
>too.
>
>All trail cameras take pictures.

+1 on the $50 tasco cams!

Traditional >>>------->

Don't spend big bucks cause if it gets stolen you could be out 500 bucks.. I use a Moultrie. great pictures and awesome battery life. batteries go up to 6 months depending on how much action I get. I leave mine set up 24/7 cause I am trying to get photos of a mountain lion wandering my riverbottom land

I have several of the lower dollar brands of trail camera mentioned. I like the moultrie m-80s the best. The battery life is excellent........small and compact.......easy to use...and seems like all dealers have lock boxes that fit them on hand. I never use a lock box here in Nebr. All private ground......but have taken a camera and lock box when we hunt public out in the mountain states. You won't go wrong with the moultrie M80s...........or the moutrie D55IR..a little less money, works as good.....but a little heavier. Good luck!

I went cheap so that way when they get stolen i am not to mad. It is sad that i have to think that way but it happens.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-13 AT 01:07PM (MST)[p]If you are looking for one with good features. I like the Spypoint IR-7. It is a little more on the spendy side. I think I paid around 150.00. But the photo quality is better than other brands that I have used and it has a few more options and is better at long distances. here is a website that compares all the features and rates them on battery life, featrues, design, photo and video quality and give all there specs
http://game-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/

As far as the night pics. Ive never had a problem with them. I'm not looking to frame the pics on my wall either. They only need to god enough to see how good the animal is. I'd rather have a lower quality pic over losing 100's of dollars to thieves.
I had a bear rip one off a tree last spring. He opened it up and scattered the batteries. I found the batteries and turned it back on.

Traditional >>>------->

I purchased a moultrie I65 last year and put it up, 2 weeks later a bear had torn it off of the tree and chewed on the black cover that goes over the the motion sensor. The camera still works and it took pictures the whole time, so was cool to see the pics of the bear chewing on it. The problem came when I called moultrie to see if I could get parts or have it repaired. The customer service guy was pleasant but that was about it. He said that they couldn't sell me the black cover,I would have to send it in for repair. When I asked how much it would be to fix it, he couldn't give me an estimate or tell we how long it would take to fix. He just said that they are busy and left it at that. I was a little put off and the camera has been sitting in my garage ever since. I need to call again and see if I can get a different response. I have also used the primos truth cam 46 and it has been great. It took over 7,000 pictures last fall and functioned flawlessly. The only down side to it is, it goes through batteries fairly quickly when taking high volume pics. I think natchezss.com has refurbs for about $70.

+1 on loosing them, never have to lost one to a two legged thief but I'm not in Utah. Not sure what the deal is there, but sounds like they have a real problem.

The night pics are amazing. I have a few if I can find them ill post them up I also use a wild games invovation camera

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom