Trail of the sportsman tv show

hogg_65

Have you guys watched this show on the mens channel. awsome footage of bug UTAH bulls. Hats off to those guys ther making good films. I don't care for the magazine much, I liked Utah hunter a lot better. What do you guys think?????

havn't seen the show, just switched to cable from dish. The mag really needs somebody to show them how to work photos.

I will say that their footage is some of the best I have seen anywhere in the west. I like the fact that they are just average guys hunting. I believe they won an award this year as well. I do have to agree that the magazine is lacking and needs some help.

later

ch

I think I seen that tv show last week. Was it the one with Doyal Moss and his team of guides. They find the hunter a 390 bull then calls him on the phone and the dude catches the next flight to Utah and shoots it the the next day. If thats the one, thats far from average hunter guy. But, yes nice footage of big bulls.

I really like the show, don't have a sub. to the mag. I caught the last half of the show last night after getting home from the job and it was great! I wonder if they will have a DVD of the seasons hunts available??

Trail of the Sportsman is a great show!
I'm watchimg more Men's channel that the Outdoor Channel or OLN these days!
I really like Best of the West too!
The show where they call the guy back to shoot the 390 bull is Christensen Arms.
Actually that is a real good show with mostly western trophy hunting.
HH

They do have a DVD out of the seasons shows. At least the elk hunts down on the San Juan. I just bought it off of MM here. The ad is on the home page. It is called Roar of the Rockies. I ordered it and got it two days later and it is great. I hunted with Black Timber Outfitters this past season and I can tell you my hunt with them also turned out well. The video they shot of my hunt turned out great.
Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Thanks Jason, I've got a Gift Cert. to Sportsmans and will add Roar of the Rockies to my list, along with Mossback 3 and Primos Elk-8.
I wonder if they ever film any Desert Sheep hunts down there in any of those sheep units??

WapatiBob said, "The mag really needs somebody to show them how to work photos."

I assume what you mean by "work photos" is to be more like some of the other hunting magazines, correct?

You know, go into PhotoShop and add about 10 inches of width, add some more mass, five or six extra points, maybe even a cool cheater, oh ya and then add a prettier background to it.

Turn a 165 muley into a 204 deer, right? Is that what you mean by "work photos"? What many of the other hunting magazines are doing?

On second thought maybe that ain't such a bad idea. If someone will teach them how to "work photos" then I'll submit a few of my own hunting photos and they can shave off about 40 unwanted pounds, cover that bald spot with some thick, dark hair, give me some rippling muscles and kind of a rugged Tom Sellack look.

If nothing else that might get more women subscribers. Instead of normal Joe's posing with their deer and elk, it could look like a bunch of Chip 'n Dales dancers posing with their trophies.

Hell, with that technology they could even start making calendars and I could be "Mr. February" with my 22" willow horn. No one is going to look at the deer cuz I'll look so hot!!

I think Bob is onto something here. Somebody DOES need to teach them how to work a photo. I'm tired of looking average. I want people to see me in the magazine and say, "Damn, now that's a Boone and Crockett man right there! Look at those abs!"

-Dawg

Dawg,
That is some funny stuff! LOL! That is the funniest read ever on this site. LOL! There's also alot of truth in your words too. Thanks

Actually no, that's not what I meant.
My wife used to "work" the photos of the local paper. Clear then up so they looked good when printed. The images in the mag are dark, grainy and well... really not very well presented. Sorry Dawg, It all starts with the original.

I thought they were "working photos."

Last edition had some ugly guy submitted a photo with a spike, then after the the photo was "worked," I could have swore it was a young Clint Eastwood with a 29"er. Now if that isn't "working" a photo, I don't know what is.

However, I could not figure out the hound guy. His photo should have been "worked." ;-) That guy looked like a scruffy old drunk with a Bassett Hound.

I look at these magazines and cannot figure out where these big bucks come from. Surely they must be "worked." I can't count the guys on this site that tell me about the big bucks that feed on the front lawns and apple orchards, but I sure as hell cannot find them. The photos and stories must be "worked."

Can anyone tell me if the Sportsman's Voice was "worked" correctly?

Hey Wapati,

I know, I was just poking fun buddy. I knew what you meant, I'm just a smart alec.

But while I'm here I'll tell you what I DO like about the magazine Trail of the Sportsman.

I'm just a normal joe schmo. I'm no Ryan Hatch, I'm no Doyle Moss, I'm no Karl Malone, and my name is never mentioned in the opening prayers at the SFW banquets. I'm about as nobody as nobody's come. I have a little circle of hunting buddies I run in and we have fun. We chase deer for a couple of days in October, we chase elk too, we go fishing, we ride our horses and we chase a few lions and bears with our dogs. We even go try to shoot a duck or a dove on occasion and every November I still have to go try and find a pheasant.

I'm as "unfamous" as any hunter you'll ever meet. You'll probably never see me with anything on the cover of Trophy Hunter or Muley Crazy and Kings will never do a Commemorative Calendar to showcase all the big deer I've killed.

But I've written and submitted three stories to the Trail magazine and everyone of them was published. My buddy has also written a couple of stories and both of them were published. I told a couple of friends and they sent in some photos. Just normal photos, one with a turkey, one with two small bucks taken on the deer hunt, etc... nothing you would EVER see in some of the magazines around. All of those photos have been run in the magazine.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at those huge animals in Trophy Hunter, Eastman's and all the others. But those outfits would laugh at the photos I have. The Trail magazine sticks them in their photo gallery. And they use my buddies photos too.

And for me, that's good enough. When I'm old and I have a few grandkids kicking around, I'll dig out a couple of old magazines and show them and they'll think I was the greatest hunter ever. I won't tell them I was really a nobody.

I don't care if they are the best magazine out there. They are the only one that will give a guy like me the time of day, and that's good enough for me. I'll leave the fame, fortune and that other stuff to guys that are Pros.

I like opening a magazine and seeing a photo of someone I know that killed a public land mule deer and didn't pay five guides to go find it for him. I don't care if it doesn't score 225 and the photo is a bit dark or grainy.

My buddy worked his tail off this year and shot a nice 4X4 muley. Nothing any of the "trophy" magazines would give a second glance. But it took him two grueling days to get it killed and off the mountain and it was one of the few days his work schedule would even allow him to hunt.

Nothing against Eastmans, or Kings, or Muley Crazy cuz I'm like everybody else, I love to see those big trophy animals. They make my blood boil. But they aren't going to give my buddies mule deer a second glance.

But it'll be in a photo gallery in a future Trail magazine, you can take that to the bank. And he's not going to care what anyone else thinks, he'll be buying more than one copy of that issue. That's what I like about them. I don't care if they can work a photo as good as the others.

I'll take a dark grainy photo of a deer like my buddies ANY DAY over a crystal clear photo of a 200+ mule deer that was located by guides and a hunter was called in to shoot after writing a six figure check.

Besides, there is a pretty good chance that photo they didn't "work" is one of mine or someone I know so I don't care. All those other magazines idea of "working" my photo is to mop up coffee spills with them. ;-) ;-)

I like the Trail magazine cuz they like me!! :) First story I ever submitted, they spelled my name wrong. You think I care?
Hell no, they ran my story and I'm a nobody! Now here we are a year and a few issues later... and I got friends and neighbors saying, "Hey, where can I send some photos or a story to?"

And they are getting their photos in too. So say what you will, cuz I know a whole bunch of us that could care less cuz now we're "somebodys". :) :)

I heard they even ran a couple of photos of KTC. So of course they are going to want to blur that photo, have you seen how ugly he is in focus?

good story. I wasn't trying to knock the mag. sounds like they are a down home bunch trying to make a go of their passion. hope it works out. It's pretty tough to get clear pics in a mag when joe schmo sends them in cause the size is always wrong or they use digital and that sucks for use in a magazine too.
Slides are the best way to go, then drum scan them in, or so the wife tells me.

Hey WapitiBob,

Ya, that is probably their biggest problem, is inbred people like me sending in photos.

The first story I wrote for them was about a friend of mine that got in an ATV wreck out hunting and broke his neck. Paralyzed from the neck down. Someone had taken some pics of the wreck, etc... and I sent them those pictures.

If you could see the originals I sent them and see how they turned out in the magazine, you would have thought the finger of the Lord touched those photos and fixed them.

If everyone could see some of the photos I've submitted for myself and some friends and then see how they turned out in the magazine, all those other magazines would be falling over the top of each other to hire this person away from the Trail magazine.

Their biggest problem is guys like me sending in photos we took with a $4.00 disposible camera we bought at Smiths on our last beer run. But their willingness to not just toss those photos in the garbage where they belong, and actually fix them best they can and run them... well, that's why I'm a subscriber.

Even when they won't run any stories or photos for me I'll probably stick with 'em cuz I like seeing what other normal nobody's like me are up to on the mountain.

And I can have my 7 year old daughter read the stories to me after I've looked at all the pictures. I wonder if that magazine has ever noticed everything I submit is in a 7 year old girls handwriting? ;-)

For now I'll keep doing what I always do... buy a Trail magazine and then steal an Eastman's, Trophy Hunter and Muley Crazy. It's my system and so far has worked great for me. Perhaps I am just partial to the Trail magazine because it's the only one I pay money for, I dunno. :) :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom