TRAILS

Devlin

I was wondering if any one else besides me cuts trails into Hell holes during the off season and I,m not talking about quad runner trails even tho I have one and I use it to get to my take off point.I usually try and find a deer trail and prune it to where I can walk upright instead of crawling 300 yards.I have a few of these trails that get me into some great hunting areas and you never run into other hunters,does anyone else use this method? Devlin

D.....
I do just the opposite. The way I see it, the tougher the access, the fewer the people. Most people wan't easy access. If it's choked with brush it scares people away. For example, my Duck honey hole is only accessable by boat. In 9 years of hunting that spot I have only seen one other boat make it in. Lots of people try, but when it gets tough they all turn tail.

I have never tried making a deer trail easier to access. Although I have coverd the opening of the trail so others don't use it just because they see it and scare all the deer away. Although I have once cleared my own trail through a clearing of reprod that proved to be a good idea. It seemed that the deer and elk took a liking to the easy walking.....Later :) B_B

Hi Trails,
My son and I do every year. We take machettes and shovels and make a trail down to dirt to our tree stands. I want to sneek in and out as quiet as I can. The property got permission to hunt the last couple years is a nightmare of black berrys but have some good blacktails in it. It never fails there will be deer using our trail in a day or so of making it. Making a trail like that also makes it safer to hike in the dark. I want to take an acre and do one of those seed plots. I talked to a guy up in Washington that did and he said with in 2 years the deer antlers were noticable thicker with longer tines. I have to try this just for giggles and grins.

Talk to you later, Jon

Fishing-Guide
I'm sure on private property cutting your own trail works great, but try doing that on public ground, and you'll kill your spot. A trail is just advertisement. As for the foodplot idea, let us know how it works. I'm not sure of the legality of using one in California, but I'd love to try one out. Not just to grow bigger deer, but to attract more to the area.
Later......Christian

I continually cut and maintain trails I use for hunting in national forest, but I don't make it obvious. I always leave the first part of it in its natural state, so other hunters passing by are unaware of its existence. It has worked for me so far and eventually the deer and other critters begin to use it. You could call it a homemade forest funnel, because sometimes the (deer) pass right under my treestand. Oh man, he never knew what hit him??. Lol??.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom