training hounds

ID_hunter27

So I picked up two pups the other day and just wanted get some info. Like best ways to train without having other dogs. What have you done in the past with yours. I've already started taking them through small creeks that I know about and some different types of terrains. I have my wife hold them and ill run outta sight through the creeks and other obstacles and so far there doin good. In my eyes. There only 7 weeks

What kind of hounds?

Lots of time, and lots of patients... They will go through times when you cant believe how fast they are coming along, and at times youll think they are the stupidest things to ever walk the earth.

What are you gonna use them for?

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

Well I would like to do cat but I think I'm gonna lean towards bear. I'm in southern Idaho so pretty much what ever conditions There is. these are my first dogs. I'm looking as much up as I can but people who have experience tend to know and help a bit more then books. There walkers

Expose them to everything you can.Dont let them sit on a chain all the time, take them out and let them explore.Get a good handle on them and let them know YOU are the leader of the group.Get a shock collar setup for both but dont use it much.Try to control them with your commands and as they get older and more independant thats when the shocker comes in (stoping them from running off game),just use it sparingly.Just remember, you want them to smell every track but their reaction to the off game is the part you must controll. I never yell at or shock a dog for smelling a deer or elk track but if they attempt to trail it or bark on it I stop them.
Try to find someone else in your area to hunt with but be carefull.There are lots of guys with hounds but few houndsmen. Just because someone says they know what they are doing doesnt mean they do.

look on the biggame houndsmen websight. there are lots of helpful tips on that site but you have to wade through some of the b.s. and chest thumping.
Good luck

Have fun and don't get to up tight with them. Expose them to a lot of different game. You may have to walk out a few tracks with them when they start showing some interest. Spend a lot of time with them and get them handling real good. Then start trying to hunt, it will go slow at first but it is a great feeling when they tree their first lion or bear. Good luck and have fun.

I would suggest also, decide which (lion or bear), you would be pursuing more. . I wont start a young dog on bear before lion if I was going to use him as a lion dog much. The scent and chase between the two species is quite different, If you get a dog used to bear chases before they ever experience a lion, they sometimes have the instinct to just keep their head up high and run with it, being that lion isnt nearly as musky as bear, if they do this they will overrun lion tracks and lose them. It wont always happen, But i would prefer to start a young dog on lions before bear if I will be running both. just my way though and I am sure plenty do it differently and have success either way. Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom