Trap Shooting?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
This time of year, a few of my buddies and i used to spend a lot of time at the local Rod & Gun club shooting Trap and a few rounds of Skeet. Tough Birds, they don't eat well, but a good game it is.

I'm curious if there are other members here that know their way around shooting those clay birds?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Toyed around with the Clay Birds occasionally for 40 years!

Built my own Bird Thrower on a Tri-Pod!

If you're gonna shoot Birds in the Basin you've about gotta throw em!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Im selling my trap gun if anyone is interested

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

>elkassassin, you don't shoot one of
>those girly over and under
>guns do you???

I Don't elkun!

I got my Scatter Gun in about 1976!

Remington 870 WingMaster!

It's always done anything I ever wanted!

Same Gun for 38 years,maybe it's time I UpGrade?

Now Jr's Gun!

That's a different Story!

Oh JUDAS!

Gotta be a Benelli!

Camo!

3-1/2" Magnum!

Turkey Killin SOB!

Maims on both Ends!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I shoot weekly summer and fall local club and travel some. I shoot a Beretta over and under that is a better gun that I often shoot it. I got started by a great uncle when I was 11 or 12. He was very proud when he broke a 100 straight at 90 years old. I never have broke a 100 straight maybe if I make it to 90 I will. Most of the younger guys shoot sporting clays which are also a lot of fun.

I grew up at a trap and skeet range . My grandfather ran a range in Southern California . I shoot my grandfathers Browning superposed over and under. It has one of the first Hydro-coil stocks on it. If anyone has parts for it I need a new piston for it . Hey Bessy maybe we can go shooting with Bill ?

Good times, with good friends at the trap clubs. The state round robins just finished up here in Utah.

I know this is not the Utah forum, but if anybody wants to shoot a fun shoot, the RMEF is hosting a fun shoot at the Magna Gun Club on May 4th.

100 birds from the 16 yard line.

$55 includes your birds and lunch.

There will be fun shoots, raffle, and give a ways.

All levels of shooters are welcome, and have the same chance of winning.

For more information call Dean Brems @ 801-509-1625

Thanks

my scatter gun is a Winchester mod, 97 .pheasant and goose killer. you remember them, the birds that can fly,,,

Hey Muzz,

What kinda trap gun do you have? My son has been shooting on a local trap team for about 2 months? Do you have any pics of it?

Thanks, Bill

Bone collector, its on the classifieds page.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Thanks for the nice replys guys!

I got started by going to the First Sat in May Bacon shoots at our local Club every year. Seemed our whole Family was there. I had already been hunting birds and thought it a pretty easy game of only having to shoot six birds in a row to maybe win a slab of smoked Bacon.,

Some of those early years i'd get on as many shoots as i could and i'd win at least my share. Soon as i'd win one Bacon, i'd sell it to a family member to buy shells and sign up for other shoots. Sometimes i might win a dozen bacons or more and lots of those wins were against guys with all the patches on their vests and fancy guns. Competing and winning was a blast for a 12 year old farm kid and a old Rem model 11 pump gun.

Later after done with college, i gave getting serious about the game a try. My natural ability average was about 95 and thru practice and a coach, i got that up over 98 within a couple or few months of shooting serious practice birds 3 times a week. Buying a house though, put an end to my shooting and who knows how good i could have become. I just felt it too expensive to have the house and shoot as much as i was.

In the following years, we all still met at the Club for the May shoot. It was a see all the people you don't always see event. I don't miss the flat lands that i grew up on that much but this time of year gets me thinking of all the fun we had thru the years at the ol Rod & Gun Club, first Sat in May, Bacon shoot!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Pretty cool Mr Sage!

We head to the gun club evey Wednesday and Saturday.... unless it's raining too hard. Skeet (1st choice) and sporting clays are the games of choice but sometimes we shoot 5 stand. My bro shoots a little trap but I've had my fill of that.

elkun, of course you would guess that I shoot one of those girly O/U shotguns. It's a Beretta Gold Pigern II. Nice gun but you're right, it's just a shotgun. The old 870's still break 'em for me just as hard but I don't have to "pump" the O/U. I'm lazy I guess.

Good luck to all you fellow clays-breakers!

Zeke

PS:
I know not eveyone can get to Utah County (sorry Joey) but any time someone wants to head to Provo gun club with me on a Saturday morning feel free to PM and we'll set up a MM outing to bust some clays. It's not too expensive to bust up 50-100 birds.
Zeke

I shot trap/skeet adult league for 2 years. it was a blast but I had to stop going due to some people. I wanted to have a good time. some guys were way to serious. They would complain when you joke around or not dressing serious enough. One guy was super pissed when the team I was on had guys with shoutguns that were all under $1000 and he had $12000 shotgun and we smoked him. He had a line of BS from cali to new York.

the hardcore teams just wanted to see the results in the local paper. The hardcore teams couldn't stand loosing to the normal teams. They always had an excuse for loosing like luck was on our side. I claimed we are just here to shoot and have fun. the serious guys focus to hard and mess their shots up.

nfh, Pretty interesting reply there, i have couple thoughts to share...

There is a ton of difference between a "fun" and a "serious" shoot.

Those long ago Bacon shoots that i got to be labeled as a ringer, were fun six shot rounds. Intimidation and trying to distract a guy off his shot was part of a lot of guys game, maybe they thought that they couldn't win any other way.

When i had that shooting Coach though and was shooting 200-250 serious practice birds a day, he tried to teach me to concentrate on nothing else other than what i was doing, get a system going and keep it, and not to be distracted by what others might say or do. The plan was to get into a "automatic" See the bird, Bust the bird, deal and if anything breaks your concentration, anything, don't call for the bird until you are again back in that mindset.

As an example, i could be going straight thru 80 or so birds when i might notice a ant packing a bigger dead ant crawling on the ground in front of me. If when my turn came around and i hadn't gotten that bug out of my head and got back into my groove, i'd be sure to miss that bird every time, every time, it was uncanny but true.

The Bacon shoots were fun. All the practice birds i shot were fun too but in a different way. I'm not sure that the two ways of having fun go together very well but it's nice when you bust birds however which way you do it.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-14 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]Used to think I was cool breaking in the 90's consistently...
Shot a round of sporting clays.. shot in the low 70's ...That took all the cool out of me...Would like to shoot more sporting clays. Sage grouse are endangered our local ducks have perished. All the farm ground in Olathe is leased. The little orange Frisbees is about all the scatter gunning we have around here.

What are you guys scoring on a round of sporting clays?

Been about 12-15 years ago!

They had a shoot at the Vernal Rod & Gun Club!

JUDAS it was Cold!(January in the Basin!:D)

A lot of the Birds were being hit,but you could only see a little Dust coming off them!

We were back 27 Yards!

So me & My friend snuck back in to town & Bought some High Brass/Heavy Remington 7-1/2's!

We were Breaking them a little better then & Nobody Noticed the Loads we were Shootin,but a few Guys were Shakin there heads & sayin WTF?:D

Elkassassss,
High brass shells huh? Sounds like you were "poaching" a few extra clays! Lol

Tomichi,
If you're saying you only tried sptg clays 1 time and shot a 70+ then you're bragging. Haha. Most "ranked" shooters compete at between high 80's and mid-high 90's depending on the course layout.
I love sporting clays but I only get to shoot it 6 or 8 times a year and feel ok with 70+ and really pretty good if I shoot in the mid 80's. I've only shot in the 90's one time (93). I cannot duplicate a score that high but I'll keep trying. My worst score was 54!!!! I remember the day well, not a good day!!!
Skeet and 5 stand (mini sptg clays) is what I shoot weekly unless there's a hunt on the plate. I love to shoot but I'm still a duffer.
American skeet I hold my own but international and skeet double events I struggle to stay in the 90's.
It's a fun game but I wish I could find some cheaper shot and find ANY powder! Good thing I still have a few thousand already loaded.
Zeke

LOL Zeke!

Sometimes them PISSCUTTER bullets don't cut it!:D

Joey, your age and short memory is telling on you. Remington did not make a model 11 that was a pump shotgun. They made a copy of the Browning Humpback semi auto and called it the model 11 Sportsman. They made it after buying the license from Browning to copy their shotgun.

When I worked undercover narcotics, I carried a Remington model 11 semi auto in the trunk of my undrcover Roadrunner go fast vehicle. I preferred it over the Rem. 870 pump shotgun for fast second shots if needed.

RELH

RELH is Right!

Them Model 11 Remington reminded me of some of the Browning Auto Shotguns!

Never did care for their looks!

My Bad! The other night I got to looking for info on a bolt action nylon stocked 22lr that i have and got my numbers mixed up.

The old Pump shotgun i used to shoot was a Remington model 10A. I believe that it was blued at one time but by the time i stated using it, it looked almost stainless. :)

I killed a good bit of Dove and Quail with that shotgun too! lol

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom