TRAPPING BILL NEEDS OUR ACTION!!

CompassWestOutfitters

The Anti-Trapping Bill (HB 426) and the Ban Coyote Contest Bill (SB 253) will both be heard in the House Agriculture, Water, & Wildlife committee this Friday 2/27/2015 (8am - Room 307). If you can make it to Santa Fe for the committee please do so, the animal rights folks will, no doubt, be there in full force!

The trapping bill would effectively end trapping on all public lands in NM. The coyote contest bill would put an end to all large scale, cost effective management of coyotes. Please contact the below committee members and tell them to oppose BOTH bills.

If you are a non-resident member of NMCOG please feel free to also contact the NM Legislators. We need all of the help we can get to kill these two anti-hunting pieces of legislation.

House Agriculture, Water, & Wildlife Committee
Candy Spence Ezzell - Chair (R - Chavez) [email protected] (505) 986-4420
Andy Nunez - Vice Chair (R - Dona Ana) [email protected] (505) 986-4210
Paul Bandy - (R - San Juan) [email protected] (505) 986-4211
Randal Crowder - (R - Curry) [email protected] (505) 986-4210
George Dodge - (D - Curry, De Baca, Roos., S.M., Guad.) [email protected] (505) 986-4227
Bill Gomez - (D - Dona Ana) [email protected] (505) 986-4221
Bobby Gonzales - (D - Taos) [email protected] (505) 986-4438
Dona Irwin - (D - Grant, Hidalgo, Luna) [email protected] (505) 986-4215
Bill McCamley - (D - Dona Ana) [email protected] (505) 986-4436
Bob Wooley - (R - Chaves, Lea, Roos.) [email protected] (505) 986-4454

HB 426 - NM Wildlife Protection and Public Safety Act

First Committee: Ag, Water & Wildlife (2/27/2015)

Brief Summary: Would make recreational trapping of wildlife on public lands a misdemeanor.

NMCOG Official Stance: Oppose

SB 253 - Prohibit and Define Coyote Killing Contests

First Committee: Conservation (2/3/2015, Do Pass 6-3, No's = Martinez, Sharer, Woods)
Second Committee: Judiciary (2/11/2015, Do Pass 7-2, No's = Griggs, Martinez)
Senate Floor: (2/13/2015, Passed 27-13, Final Vote)

House First Committee: Ag, Water & Wildlife (2/27/2015)

Brief Summary: Would make it unlawful for a person to organize, cause, sponsor, arrange, hold or participate in a coyote-killing contest.

NMCOG Official Stance: Oppose

Chris Guikema
www.compasswestoutfitters.com

Chris
Thank you for posting this... We (New Mexico Wildlife Federation) will have a team there opposing this... This is a big one... I just started trapping this year and it is a blast...

Thanks
J-

Come on Guys...
Contact your congressmen/senators these bills have to be stoped!
Its just a bunch of bunny huggers trying to change our way of life. If WE don't speak up now its going to be to late! and they will win. TAKE A STAND and stop this madness! Its the anti hunting groups takeing control and trying to stop OUR way of life... and if we don't stick together... its over!!
Jack

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]If you write, remind them of the power sportsmen can have in a close election. Remember state commissioner Ray Powell, I believe there were many sportsmen who might have voted for him had he not restricted contest participants from hunting on state land.

This is a real threat guys, these anti's have absolutely no middle ground, they will ignore biology and reasoning and are completely fueled by emotion. We need to flood the phone lines and let our voices be heard!

You would think that all would agree and oppose these very strongly in the hunting community. I was curious if The Wildlife Federation ever took a stance on the Coyote Contest Bill, I heard they had not taken a stance on that one. Just curious.

Don't want to highjack this thread but I will be honest in that just like most sportsman in a group it was hotly debated. We ended up not supporting the ban on contests but we weren't going to spend very much energy on trying to kill the bill. There are much bigger and less contentious issues that we needed to go after.

NOW IMO.... The guys that run these contests are the ones that should be up there.... They should be fighting like heck, but I don't think that is happening. The guys that have been quoted in all the newspapers haven't gone to the round house. If they don't care enough about it then why should we. The guys that dumped the dogs in Cruces really galvanized both parties against contests. They made us all look bad. Like all controversial things they are one camera phone shot from turning public opinion.

Regardless, of what happens with the contests we as sportsman should change the rules to include
1)Proper Fur Handling after the animals are brought in, I don't care if they tan it or sell it or leave it in their freezer forever just go thru the process
2)PAY someone for the proper disposal of the carcasses. Pitching in the Ditch doesn't work when there are 50 bodies..

J-

It seems to me that regardless of what happened, NMWF and all sportsmen orgs should be fighting this along with the trapping ban. I do not have a lot of room to criticize since I cannot make the meeting and can only call and send emails but simply not supporting the bills is not enough, they should be actively denounced.

The same logic and arguments apply to both the anti coyote hunting bill and the trapping bill. I don't see how you could be against one and not the other.

Jimmy
You are right...There should have been a ton of groups there... Where was RMEF,SCI,MDF and SFW? SFW runs contests to make money but they didn't even show.. if you look on their website or facebook page all you see is stuff about fundraisers. SFW got a seat on the Commission and now they disappear.. We had boots on the ground working this... BUT you get to a point were we have limited resources and if those that runs things don't care enough to show why should we?

Thanks for asking the question about the hunting vs. trapping... I think it is important to explain...
As far as trapping or hunting, go out and kill as many as you can... Heck we don't care.... This bill is directed to the contests or the exchange of coyotes for cash or other prizes. At the very basic level it violates the North American Model of Game Management... On a different level, we are fighting a battle for our hunting rights, when you try to defend or explain 50 carcasses with blocks in their mouths it is just hard and for many sportsman impossible.

When this was in the SCON committee which is Rep controlled I was hoping it would get killed. It blew thru. When it hit the Judiciary Committee(controlled by Reps) we thought we could kill is as a governmental overreach but we couldn't stop it.

Let's face it the Cattle Growers and OF control things like this and have Martinez ear. They haven't come out in opposition to the bill... I am surprised that she hasn't had it killed (like HB 44) so she doesn't have to go on record. BUT I am starting the think the Reps are going to use this as a "look we care about warm furry things" to save face on all the other stuff they are kicking up(Jennings).

BTW - Aubrey Dunn the Rep State Land Commissioners offered a $1,000 reward for the names of the people that dumped the dogs in Cruces... That says A LOT...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]All our reps and senators and Fed reps know how we in Catron county feel about stuff like this.
Don Tripp sure as $hit does.
We've talked about it at length.This and the public land sell off coming,tho he's slow to say it.
And that used oil salesman that just got elected as State lands commish is a real piece of...
Martinez is in the bag,cash bag that is.
Peirce gives me the willies ,just looking at the so called man now ,he's lied to me so many times.
I bet these politicians show up the elk camp and slap backs at shooting range asking for your vote,a donation to the cause and stab you in the back. Most get support from some sportsmans groups that buy their lies only to say, What happened/ Why the locked gates and no trespassing signs that go up later?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-15 AT 03:23PM (MST)[p]What is trapping if not an exchange of animal pelts for cash. The prizes in the contests are an effective way of getting coyote hunters together and bring new hunters to the sport. I am disappointed that they are not doing more to defend "their" contests. My suspicion is that they have been made to look very bad in the press and that has made them hesitant about speaking out.

I have never been a big fan of SFW. I did receive a card from them along with my receipt when I bought some stuff last week at sportsmen warehouse. It said all the money raised in NM would be spent in NM, but it did not say what they were going to spend the money on. I think it would be a nice if NMWF and/or UBNM could do something similar.

>Let's face it the Cattle Growers and OF control things like >this and have Martinez ear. They haven't come out in opposition >to the bill...

Both of these organizations have come out in strong opposition on the coyote contest bill. Along with the trapping bill.

Sorry I just don't like inaccurate info.

Also just sent my emails to the Reps. Make sure to send them guys, they will get hundreds of emails and calls from the animal rights activist and that sometimes is enough to make them vote against us. If all they get is the calls and emails that say ban this and ban that then they will think that is how we all fell. I am not a huge politics guy, but when it comes to something I feel strongly about then I will stand up.

I won't be able to make it, but I have sent emails. Can someone who makes the meeting tomorrow keep us posted with how things go?

It will be webcast.. it is HELL to listen to but you can listen to it.. I will let you know when the vote happens
J-

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-15 AT 03:29PM (MST)[p]Was just out in the shed and glanced over at my trap barrels where they've been sittin for nearly twenty yrs untouched. Piss's me off everytime I look at em! Good luck 2morrow men. Hope your fight goes better than ours in colorado did!

Candy Ezzell the Chairwoman has been wearing boots toped with coyote skin that she killed, I heard all week

Any bets how this is going to come out of her committee

I called them all today. I asked if they had been getting a lot of calls and they said yes. One girl said the phone had been ringing off the hook all day.

Cant find my post,but, in my opinion leaving a pile of dead coyotes along side a road for the general public to see pushed this issue to legislation at least 10 years earlier than it would of on its own.

This is a PR fight, and stuff like that does more damage than anything else. We are no longer a rural nation. People that are a couple generations from having family that hunts, or even have raised what they eat can not get their minds around hunting. Many are open to it, but, if you put pictures in front of their face of a pile of dead animals, it does not bode well for hunting.

If we do not police our own, we will have to live with what others decide for us.

The Trapping bill was tabled indefinitely on an 8-2 vote. That means 3 rural democrats voted against the bill.

This bill will come up again and again so we have to keep the pressure on our legislatures.

The coyote bill will be heard this afternoon, given this vote I like the chances of killing it, but you never know.

Thanks to all those who spoke against the bill and those who will speak will speak against the coyote bill. There were 3 game wardens that spoke against the bill along with the commissioner who spoke at the beginning.

this is great news, hope everyone keeps up the ambition, these are issues we all can agree on and need to present a unified front in combatting
-Hunting for an experience

The anti coyote hunting bill was also tabled indefinitely on a 8-2 vote. Thanks to all who called, wrote or spoke against the bill.

As I walked out of the State Capitol, I was behind the man from 'defenders of wildlife' and his small group. He gave a parting hug to one of the women there and she says to him "Until next time!"

We need to stay united, we need to educate everyone around us who will listen; and we dang sure better remember that as Outdoorsmen people are watching our every move, so we should always act with great integrity.

Also, one of the things I stated in another post, about the coyote bill, was brought up by one of the bills supporters. How would this person know this? ....unless they are trolling Monster Muleys.

I was at this hearing and some of the strongest opposition to these bills came from The New Mexico Wildlife Conservation Officers Association. The NMDGF Officers took time off to stand with us to oppose these bills. Lots of ranchers and outfitters also opposed the bills. Chairwoman Ezell was a beast in her opposition. Without her passion and her experts she called it may have been close.

>I was at this hearing and
>some of the strongest opposition
>to these bills came from
>The New Mexico Wildlife Conservation
>Officers Association. The NMDGF
>Officers took time off to
>stand with us to oppose
>these bills. Lots of
>ranchers and outfitters also opposed
>the bills. Chairwoman Ezell
>was a beast in her
>opposition. Without her passion
>and her experts she called
>it may have been close.
>

That is good to know. Thumbs up to Ezell! We need to do what we can to keep her in place.

I agree Ezell was good on this one but she has also killed us on antelope tags.. Every Rose has a thorn...

J-

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom