Triple Seven

hoytmedic

I have been muzzleloader hunting for several years, both in-line and flintlock. With my inline, I use Hodgdon Triple Seven pellets w/ a T/C Shockwave bullet. I have always used a 100 gr (2 Pellet) load w/ great results. I read about many people using a 150 gr load and noticed that the Triple Seven says to NEVER exceed 100 gr volume equivalent. Am I misunderstanding something about maximum loads? Thanks!

It's my understanding the pellets are 'down-loaded' to represent similar velocities and pressures to pyrodex. So you should be ok shooting 150 grains of pellets as long as your gun manufacturer says it can handle 150 grain charge. I've been shooting 100 grains of granular 777 with great results slightly past 200 yards. Since 777 is a 'hotter' powder my 100 grs of granular 777 gives me about the same velocity that 115-120 grs of pyrodex would give me.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-11 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p]Hoyt-Most often 150gr(3 pellets) isn't the most accurate load with pellets. Thus the reason I used to use the 30gr 777 pellets to fine tune the load a bit more. I think I still have a box of the 30gr 777 pellets around. I havent used them since BH209!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom