Tripod Advice

HiMtnHntr

Very Active Member
Finally got my dream cam, Nikon D80. I'm looking for some suggestions to handle my current Nikon 70-300 lense and a potentially larger lense in the future. Something versitile, something on the cheaper side, but with smooth operating head, etc....I have a ball-type on my slick, which should handle the camera, but not witht the larger lenses. Lots to learn, but it's fun. Any other advice on the D80 would be great, I know there are some real pros on the site...Thanks.

how much do you have left to spend on a tripod and head?

Go with a good, mid range bogen and a medeum size ball head of the same maker.

That would be a good place to start. How much hiking to you plan to do with your new set up?

Congrats, hope you have lots of fun with it!

Thanks TF. I'll be hiking with it on a regular basis, so weight is a concern, but I don't want to sacrifice height. I'll do a bit of research on the bogens. I'd rather keep the cost around 100 bucks for now, but if I hold out a bit I could shell out a little more??? I've also yet to get a case. A case that has detachable pouches for lenses would be optimum, as well as something that isn't too akward to pack around in a backpack. If I'm just shooting somewhere where I don't think a situation will arise that requires a big lense (rare), I'd like the ability to reduce the size of the case. Seems like a full-time job just getting aquainted with the camera!

forget the case, use on of your 25 hunting packs instead.

100 bucks wont get you both light wight and tall.

I packed a bogen 3020 for years, it's a tank but you can find them for under 100 bucks on ebay.

You still will need a head, get a good middle sized ball head, keiser, or Bogen, or any other of the big names will last you a lifetime. . .

T, thanks for the advice. I haven't really got a chance to use the camera yet, so I'm sure many more questions will pop up. I've been shopping a bit for tripods on bhphoto, lots to choose from. I'll check out that 3020.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom