Tripod Comparison

Wyo

I thought I had my tripod decision made, but found a new one I like also. I was originally looking at the Slik Pro 613CF and a lightweight head, would cost around $300 total. Now I am considering the Bogen 718B which is about $100. I've read good things about the Slik, but am just wondering if the bogen is much less inferior for $200 less. Anyone have experience with the Bogen? I'm looking for something that is farily compact and lightweight to use with a Swarovski spotter. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bogen
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303600-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_718B_718B_Digi_Tripod_with.html

Slik
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376194-REG/Slik_611_613_Pro_613_CF_Carbon.html

I have the SLIK 613. B&H is a great company so I think you can buy with confidence. I'm not familar with this specific model, but Bogen is a good name als. If you check the weight of each tripod you will see that the SLIK 613 is half the weight of the Bogen. If you use a small head that only weighs a couple of ounces you are about a pound ahead with the 613. My 613 has served me very well and I can recommend it highly. Your decision point will be Weight v. Price.

Does anyone know if Cabela's carries the SLIK 613 and jim white head?

I am going up next week to look through scope/tripod setups and would like to physically check out the SLIK.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-08 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p]Any recomendations for a head? I can't seem to find too many that are less than a pound. I'd like the pan and tilt stlye but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for the jim white head which weighs 14 oz. I think with the slik and a lightweight pan and tilt head I would probably be about 8-10 oz. lighter than the bogen.

Answered my own question about Cabelas. Their website doesn't list either components.

Any body have any ideas as to where in Utah a guy can get his hands on a slik 613 for some testing

I have already looked at jim white head and I will get that head

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

At one point I think Allen's photo in Provo carried them. Call them though because I'm not positive. When I bought my SLIK from B&H I was very concerned with weight. I went with a manfrotto 482 ballhead. It weighs I think 3 or 4 oz. With it and the SLIK 613 CF I'm under two pounds. So far the combination has worked with my 15's and spotter very well. I think you can find stronger heads and the Jim White is very smooth, but so far no problems. If I remember right it was about $35.

I have a medium outdoorsmans tripod and use a Bogen 484 ball head with the RC2 quick dis-connect. Being able to quickly swap from my Swaro 15's, to spotter, to mini camcorder, to even a rifle rest, I have all of these on the RC2 plates. I love my set-up!

I have the Bogen 718B. Paid about $100. It is too heavy for backpacking more than a few miles. Very steady, holds my 4+ lb Minox 15X58s rock solid. Has a fixed head, so you can't replace it. The head feels good, smooth to me but I've never owned a liquid head. One feature I like is its tall enough to use standing, very handy in the tall grass. All in all, it's a great optics tripod for the price.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom