TRIPOD mounted to a rifle....................

R

RACKMASTER

I want to buy one for my .257 weatherby...
any one got a favorite?.. or see one they like and may
wany to buy?
pivot or not?
I have shooting stixs do care for them I rather use a sage bush!
is one better than other and what height?
rackmaster

JACKMASTER!!!

STICKS ARE PROBABLY A LITTLE TOUGH OFF A WHEELER!!!

IF I WERE YOU I'D GET THE TRIPOD THAT BOLTS TO THE GRIZZLY,LOL!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THAT COULDN'T RESIST!!!

Hey Rack, I hope you meant a bipod not a tripod. The only weapon I have fired using a tripod was a Browning M-2 .50 cal and that required one on the ground.

All joking aside, I have a couple Harris bipods. One is a benchrest shorty and I use it for sighting in.I just sandbag the rear of my rifle and have a dead rest.
I also have a longer style that can be adjusted from prone up to sitting position and have used it a couple time but don't like it. I find it easier to not use one when hunting as in my opinion they get in the way and don't offer for me a natural shooting position. If I shoot prone I usually try to lay my pack over sage brush or whatever is there and use it for a rest. If I need a quick shot and in trees I use a tree for a rest or go into a sitting positon. I employ sniper style shooting positions, prone and sitting. I practice them at home all the time.
In real world hunting situations I feel I don't have time to screw around with a bipod.I like to aquire the target as quickly as I can and get the shot off.

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

Bipods work and I would recommend the harris pivot model just to give you that little movement to help you settle in and they do have different lengths. They can be a little cumbersom to carry around and they will work with a sling if you set them up right. It's a blessing and a curse thing but on some hunts they can make the difference. Hope this helps.

Harris is top quality. Get the longer version for hunting. Only problem is if you use a scabard on a horse. Rifle will fit, but will not be able to zip up back fully. Never a problem of the rifle coming loose because the bipod wedges it in pretty tight. We run our horses at times and have never had one come loose. Have been using them for years and they are awesome. If you don't have time to use a bipod then they are close enough not to need it anyway. It will pay off the first time you need a cross canyon shot. Have to be willing to get in mud, dirt, snow, etc. for the best application and to get full benefit. Does add some weight, and I would not use if I was hiking miles every day.

I have been using Harris for more then 25 yrs. Never a problem. I have both versions short and long. I use the short on a hunting rigs and the long on my varmit rigs. Go with the swivel model.

Rutnbuck

I own the Snipe Pods and personally speaking there is nothing better out there. I have taken several bucks over the past few years using these and they have performed perfectly, so well my dad and brother-in-laws have bought them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom