Tripod Weight

denzdye

Just curious what everyone's setup (tripod legs and head) weigh.I was curious and checked mine, came in at 5 lb 8 oz. The head weighs 1 lb 10 oz (pistol Grip)Legs are 3 lb 13 oz. Looking to upgrade but thinking that the 1 - 2 lbs that I could save would cost $300 - $500.

I have a beefy carbon fiber tripod that I do my digiscoping off of.
It weighs 4.4 lbs and the gear driven head on it weighs 2.7 lbs
Total just over 7 lbs. Its the rig I use the most.
Heavy, but well worth the weight when needed.

I have a beefy aluminum tripod that I use out of the car that weighs 5.5 lbs
The hydrostatic ball head on it weighs 1.6 lbs
Total 6.7 lbs.

I have a carbon packing tripod that weighs 2.2 lbs with a counterbalanced fluid head that weighs 2.8 lbs.
Total 5 lbs.

And I have a thin leg aluminum that weighs 4.4 lbs with a pan tilt head on it that weighs 1.7 lbs
Total just over 6 lbs.

I also have a couple others that I never use anymore.
I don't care much about the weight. Nothing worse than fighting gear that does not do what you want it to.
I will carry a little extra in order to get the performance I want.
I cant seem to cut the weight. In order to get the set up I want, I have to have a heavier set up. No matter how much I spend.
So, I just don't wary about it.

72logo.jpg

I'm at 45 oz (2.8 lbs) for legs and head.

I use the Promaster T525P legs with an Outdoorsman Pan Head. It's a great setup. Folds small. Very sturdy. Holds an 80mm Swaro rock-steady.

My wife uses a Sirui T025X, which is a great tripod at only 30 ounces including the head, but it is best used for glassing with binocs or a small spotter. It is not steady enough for a big spotter.

Grizzly

My set up was originally for high country Sierra backpack hunts.
4.25lbs for Manfrotto785B tripod & Alpen 735 spotter. 1/2 &1/2 wt.

I'm also in need of a new tripod. I bought a new head last year that I am happy with just need some new legs. My old one weights a ton.

Carbon fiber is the way to go if you want light weight but you obviously pay out the nose for it if you want quality. I have a shelf with around 5 or 6 tripods that I spent less $ on and finally came to the conclusion I might as well buy a high quality one that I don't get frustrated with that is super light and has a lifetime warrantee.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom