Tripods

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I am looking for a super nice tripod. An 85 millimeter razor will sit on top of it. I want it to be sturdy and rugged and user-friendly any suggestions? I have had dozens of tripods all in the 50 to 120 dollar range. Thanks

Outdoorsmans without question. Lightweight, smooth, compact and very sturdy. Awesome warrantee too. Mine is 6-7 years old and the extension arm broke. I called them fully expecting to buy a new one....they sent me one for free immediately.

I am also 6'3" but I do all my glassing sitting down and use the medium. If you are wanting to stand with it order the tall.

I'm not too concerned with weight. I have a pretty decent backpacking tripod already. Do you have to order the Outdoorsman or can you check it out in certain stores? Thanks

Outdoorsman is the best hands down. Manfrotto is good but very heavy. Plan on spending a chuck on either one

I've had good luck with the manfortto heads but I still can't support the outdoorsman co after there attempt at the tag grab in AZ.

I have an outdoorsman's medium with an extension post. Like Marley I use it mostly sitting. I use a 65mm swaro and at full extension standing it can be shaky with wind.

It's a great piece and the best for packing IMO.

I've had others, and they were good but not for packing.

If you're ever down my way shoot me a message and you can check it out.

I agree with the other guys on the Outdoorsman tripod. I use the medium and am very pleased with it. It is solid, built like an anvil, and easy to use. I have a pile of other tripods I collected through the years trying to save weight and $$$. I could of and should have saved the time and money and just bought an Outdoorsman.
You will like the Outdoorsman.

You guys running the Outdoorsman medium, what head did you put on it? And do you know what your total weight with the head is?

I am having a hard time convincing myself that the Outdoorsman is worth the cost, especially since if you want to be able to stand with the medium you'll have to spend another $120 for the extension post. And on top of that, buy a head as well.

But I'm still considering all the factors. So looking for someone to sell me on this idea.

Do yourself a favor and don't get the outdoorsmans. I spend over 150 days a year behind a tripod glassing and the outdoormsans lasted a month in my pack. The legs stick, the head is tough to get adjusted, pieces constantly coming loose, just not all it is cracked up to be. Look in to a promaster xc328. I use that tripod with a manfrotto 501hdv head. I can run anything on that tripod. I use it for my kowas, 15's, spotting scopes, shooting rest etc. It is lightweight but sturdy in the wind. I don't hate outdoorsmans stuff, I use a lot of it, just not a fan of their tripod.

I'll second the quality of Promaster. I use a Promaster T525P with an Outdoorsman panhead and love the combo.

Grizzly

Pro master 525 carbon is the way to go. I put a outdoorsmans micro pan head on it which is perfect. I think the big outdoorsman's pan head sucks and sent it back

I've had a ton of tripods.... I recently bought a foto pro. It's build like a tank and sturdy as hell.
I shoot with a canon 1DX mkII camera and some big glass. It's rock solid. That setup is is way heavier than any spotter you'll put on a tripod.

https://fotopro.com/

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-16 AT 10:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-16 AT 10:35?PM (MST)

Rugged and sturdy will typically mean heavy. I recently bought some Slik Pro 700DX legs and a monfrotto XPRO for my 80mm Swaro. It's not lightweight for packing but if your spotting from the road or short walks it works great. I went with the taller legs because I have a straight spotter and this allows me to set it up without extending the top to keep it more steady. I was pleased with this setup and cost wasn't too bad in comparison to what it could have been with other brands. I have a separate compact Sirui T-1205X tripod and Monfrotto 700 RC2 head for hiking in with but the smaller more compact stuff to hike with will not be nearly as sturdy in the wind.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom