Trophy hunting and genetics for the future...

N

Nontypical1

I'll preface this w/ the following, I'd like to get a big ram, bull, or buck as much as anyone here

but... there's a paper that was recently published in the scientific journal Nature indicating that hunting for big rams has caused their genes to be depleted from a population in Alberta

this suggests that some wildlife management practices need to change to preserve the genetics that leads to big rams... some of us may need to settle for that 1/2 or 3/4 curl for the good of the sheep our grandchildren hunt, especially in small and visible herds

I hope you can access this if interested, I'm not sure if the Nature site requires a subscription, it may require accessing from a University library or somesuch.

good hunting,

Nt

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v426/n6967/index.html

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v426/n6967/full/426595a_fs.html

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v426/n6967/full/nature02177_fs.html

The rams that sheep hunters are after are beyond their prime breeding years of 4-7 years old. 10 and 12 year old rams have contributed all they are going to as far as genetics are concerned. At 9,10,11,12,13....they are getting their asses kicked by their sons and grandsons who are carrying the same genes. The nature journal I'll bet DON"T like hunting.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-03 AT 08:18PM (MST)[p] I'd have to agree!
I have the same genetics at 43 as I had at 17 don't I?
The females of species don't get enough credit for their contribution in creating trophy headgear either ,wouldn't you think? The daughters of trophies are just as capable of passing on those good genetics as the males of the species,aren't they?

I follow the logic when you are talking about deer that never make it past 3 because they are 25" 4x4's getting wacked in their prime but sheep seem to me to be the least likely to be effected by that sort of selective breeding. HH, You're right about the females, The mother of a toad has those good genes just as much as the father.

JB

Agree with above 3 responses. You have to be careful about "studies", some of these scientific publications have a preservation (non-use) bias.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

That's an interesting article, I wasn?t able to open it from your links, but a friend sent me the prelude of this paper, and I will hopefully receive the entire paper soon. This research was completed from Sheep Mtn. in Alberta from an open season area with a set horn restriction. The horn restriction from this area is basically slightly larger than a three-quarter curl, and the rams harvested are not old age class rams, but younger rams from ages ranging from 4-6 years old. The research suggests that the rams are harvested before they can reach prime breeding status of a approx. 8years of age, and that no old rams are present during breeding. I agree it is difficult to change genetics in a very short period of time, and in an open population it's difficult to believe that rams from else where are not coming in and breeding as well. But sheep have different breeding strategies that most ungulates and are K selected species and can have quite isolated populations. If the ram overall age class consisted of young rams (<6 year olds) because all legal requirement rams were harvested, problems could arise. When sheep breed the majority of the breeding is completed by the dominant rams, and the estrous ewes will stand for them, after they have proven themselves as the most large horned aggressive individuals. One ram can breed many ewes you just have to look at the size of the testicles to confirm that. Dominant rams are large mature rams in the prime of their lives and may only have one season?s opportunity to breed before becoming too old and are out competed by another mature ram in a healthy herd environment.

So when the age classes are off set and only younger rams are competing for reproduction, the herds genetic integrity is obviously jeopardized. This may only compound in sheep breeding behavior, if you have an older ram with small horns that does not meet the horn requirement, but is an older aged, larger bodied and more aggressive individual than the younger rams. This ram will probably out compete his younger competitors, and do most of the breeding, spreading his poor genes, where he would never have the opportunity in a herd that maintains a healthy number of large mature rams.

I guess the bottom line of this research is for the managers to set a higher horn restriction in areas with open seasons, so older age classes (8>) can be maintained and that a vigorous rut can occur. I do not believe that this research is baised against hunting, but can only help to ensure that quality rams will continue with open hunting seasons and not lottery hunts.

Cheers, Ramchaser

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom