trout stocking program?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Still a major thorn in my #%*@, Is there plans in the works to continue the stocking of our streams and creeks in the near future??

I'm no longer one to care much for planted trout myself but there used to be a dozen or so, young anglers who could be found fishing the Feather River daily during the Summer, right here within the town of Chester. As of the no-planting BS that came down last year, the kids are no longer fishing and what they are doing, playing video games or hanging out at the bowling ally, is more than likely not the better of options. Vacationers come thru, nice looking stream, the family all piles out, it's nice for them to catch some fish.

The State run Fish Hatchery's and the stocking programs are a big part of why i personally have always supported such high fishing license costs. We have plenty of frogs and tadpoles here but our stream and creeks are near bare of fish.

Like to hear from a rep of our F&G dept! Thanks

Joey

They seem to be planting fish in all areas except the northern zone. Maybe because of water temps. They say thaey will not plant lakes and reservoirs until the surface temps are at 42* and stream temps at 45*. Yet they are planting on the Eastern Sierra side! Go figure!!!

the south end of the east side from i think independance creek south opens early unless they have changed it , seems like it opened the last of march ,,,,,,,, theres a list on the website of what they are supposed to plant ,,,,, they have stopped on a bunch of places

I went to the F&G website, found that we here in Plumas Co are part of the N.Central Region and there was listed only a few places for planned trout planting. There also was a note in there, somewhat encouraging;

"DFG recently responded to a legal action challenging its hatchery and stocking operations, and completed an Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS) that considers species and habitats affected by hatchery-raised rainbow trout. One of the conditions of the EIR/EIS is that each water planted throughout California must go through a Pre-Stocking Evaluation Protocol. This evaluation requires DFG to consider each sensitive or listed species in each water relative to the stocking of trout. DFG fisheries staff have made the evaluations a top priority, but until the review is completed and approved by our administration, rainbow trout or channel catfish cannot be stocked.

* Current List of Waters Evaluated and Approved for Stocking (PDF) (Available Soon)"

Joey

Sage, It's not just Plumas county. Here in Inyo county it's the same thing. Sure we get some plants, but, nothing like years past. Blame the greenies that have sued, and infiltrated the D.F.G. Also blame Cal Trout,Trout Unlimited, and all the catch and release fly clubs. All of these orgs, discourage stocking of the waters of Cali. For some reason, hatchery trout aren't good enough for them.
Heck, I don't hardly fish anymore. But I think every new fisherman deserves a chance to catch a fish. Remember, most of us started out catching our first fish with a big old worm, or a salmon egg. We didn't care how big it was but, we sure weren't going to throw it back! But as time progressed, so did we as fishermen. Pretty soon you throw back the little ones. Then you only use so lures, and try to target big fish only. Then you try the flys, and catch and release. On and on it goes. Heck down here in Inyo and Mono, we wouldn't have any trout if it weren't for the Hatcherys. The only fish native to this valley were the tui chub and the sucker. The D.F.G. is being hit from all sides on this hatchery deal. Greenies, Fly fisherman, and budget cuts.
Don't think I didn't fish, I fished for most my life, and just got tired of it. I'm with you on this Sage, it bothers me that these newcomers don't have the same opportunity as I had as a kid. Thanks, Doug.

+1 brownie, Thanks!!

If ever there was a stretch of water that was good for stockers, this piece of the Feather River, that runs thru town here, is it. Because the town used to flood near every spring, the Army Corps of Engineers straightened out most of the bends, curves, deep holes and cutbanks of this once awesome big rainbow factory of a stream. They claimed the river would drain out faster and not cause as much flooding. That Sucked!

As a kid, i could get lost for hours, laying on my belly in the grass on a cut bank, staring down, trying to pick out monster trout out of the log snags and huge boulders, into the bluish clear depths of some of the deeper holes . The fishing really was that good but first the bulldozers then they installed a Diversion Dam about two miles above town. Between the two, the native trout don't seem to be able to successfully spawn as they did in the old days. In the mean time, the town doesn't flood anymore but we have a great looking stream that attracts visitors, locals, and the local kids, but the stream, though still looks pretty good, is near bare.

The fish and Game used to plant 8-12" fish, sometimes bigger ones, every other Wednesday all summer long. It was really neat to see the kids out in force, taking their trout limit proudly back home to Mom and Pop to be cooked up for dinner that night.

We had a guy here in town who owned a fly shop. He secretly applied to the F&G thru Cal-Trout, i believe, not 100% certain which org, to have this section of river be declared a fly-fishing only, catch and release section. Word got out what he was up to, a huge petition was signed by everyone, the F&G called for a town meeting to see if we agreed with this fly guy's claims. It seemed everybody who lives here and had caught their first trout in that river attended the meeting and spoke against the proposed change. That guy got run outta town, nobody went in his shop anymore, and the has River remained as it is.

At least i see, from the note that i posted above, that our Fish and Game is trying to fight this lawsuit with biological facts and re-open certain sections of our waterways and lakes for planting. No, it's not for me, other than the enjoyment i get seeing a kid catch fish, but for our future anglers and outdoorsman. I'm hoping this section of the River, here in Chester Ca, gets the nod!!

Joey

Sage, I hear yaa. I live in the Santa Cruz Mts. and there is this nice little lake in the area that was a blast to spend some time fishing for the stockys, but now because of this frog no longer.

Jingo-

When I lived in the Santa Cruz mountains I used to fish that lake often. To bad they stopped stocking it. It's a great place to spend the day.

I agree they need to to keep planting those three to a pound tasty little rainbows, not just for the kids but think of all the bass and big old browns going without. BH1

Joey, that reminds me of an incident that happened many years back.

I used to love fishing for summer run steelhead on the Van Duzen River here in Humboldt Co. This particular year we had an exceptionally good run. The owner of one of the local fly shops heard of my success and called me and asked if he could tag along with me the next time I went? I thought it was kind of odd because I didn't know him and had never even been to his shop, but I thought what the heck. So I took him.

I had access through private property (which was probably the real reason he asked me). We got down there and I put on a big 'ol nightcrawler and flung it out. He was strictly a fly fisherman and wouldn't think of lowering himself to fish that way.

Shortly I had my three fish limit while he was still beating the water without a strike. Finally he got frustrated and wanted to leave. Before we left, he had a camera and asked if I would take his photo while he held my fish. "Sure, whatever Guy"
I never thought any more of it.

Then about a month later I stopped into his shop for some reason (can't remember why) and low and behold he has a great big like 16"X20" photo of himself holding his flyrod and the fish I caught on worms.

I never said a word, but to this day it cracks me up!

Sorry to divert your post Joey, but I had to share that story.

Eel

Eel, No worries guy, i liked your tale very much. I guess the guy couldn't help himself from doing as he did. I believe though that i'd tell him how good he looks with your fish. :)

As far as our fly shop owner, i had patronized his shop at times but tired of his rantings of bait flingers, as if they were beneath him, of some lower class. You know how that kind of thing sets with me, i was happy to sign the petition and have my say at the meetings.

I'm just a mediocre fly fisherman as they go. I do attribute the better fish i've caught with the fly gear as some of the most rewarding fish that i've ever caught, actually prefer to catch them that way, but am just as likely to be seen swinging crawlers along a cut bank or picking up the blade on a small spinner just when i think it's deep enough and in the right zone of a trout hold that i can only imagine. I too will gladly accept the occasional dinner provided from a evenings fishing along the creek, be they natives or planters.

As i implied above, the trout planting program is also paramount to keeping kids and vacationers involved in fishing. Put and take trout have their place. WE have bought and paid for this service. IMO, We need to get this program up and running as it historically has been and get even more people out on our rivers, lakes, and streams.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom