Truck Dilemma......

muleycrazy

OK here it is...I have a 06 F350 Diesel, 90K miles. Truck runs and looks like new, but I have had diesels for 10 yrs now and have never pulled anything ever. Also I am out of warranty on the Diesel in 10K miles. So I am thinking of downsizing & going to F150 with the new 5.0 gas engine, but I am mixed. My Diesel has over 10K worth of aftermarket stuff, I know I won't get that back in this economy, so do I keep it or go with the 150 ?
Thx....Dave

"Do you like Apples ? Well I got her
number, How do you like those Apples !

I'm kind of in the same boat. I bought my super duty brand new in 2000 but it's a V-10, I've never cared to own a belcher in any brand. My truck has 210,000 miles....time to make a decision. I'm really liking the thoughts of a pimped out F-150 this time. Decisions decision.....

Tough call. I couldn't be happier with my 2008 Tundra. It was that or an F-150 and I'm glad I went with the Tundra. That 5.7L toyota engine packs some power.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-11 AT 09:02PM (MST)[p]I have the 2007 tundra(5.7) & get 20 mpg (@ 65 mph) even with the Calif emission stuff.68,000 and no problems....

I sold my stroker 4 years ago and got a 2005 F150 and have loved it. Unless you pull big trailers fairly often, the diesels just aren't cost effective.

That being said, its always cheaper to keep the one you have VS. buying a new one!

If I was buying a new F150 I'd seriously consider the 3.5 TT V6!

2a0fcsk.gif

I ran a diesel for years untill I did'nt need one everyday. Now I just need to hual a tractor or other farm equitment maybe 1-2 times per month. I kept an old beat up 94 dodge cummins 3/4 ton flat bed with 200k miles and bought an 07 toyota tacoma 3 yrs ago....4WD, slapped a camper shell on it. Cant beat the ride and mileage. Its great for running around and kicks butt as a hunting rig. With the camper shell I always have my tent and can move to different country fast. Crappy forestry roads I used to have crawl along at 15mph I can now cruise at 30 :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

i went from a superduty to a f150 a little while back. i miss having a real truck but i do love cruising around and parking that 150. i would go with the 6.2 liter over the smaller motor even if i wasnt going to tow anything

If I didn't have a toy hauler, I wouldnt hesitate to sell my diesel. Its terrible in the hills and is more expensive to repair. If you are not pulling, get the 1/2 ton!!!!!

muleycrazy?

Would you mind listing any problems you've had with the POWERJOKE?

There's a few of them around that haven't gave many problems but for the most part the newer JOKERS/STROKERS have kicked alot of peoples Asses!

I'm still amazed that a major Auto builder can get away with building JUNK for that many years & people still buy from them?

I don't know about the rest of You?But I need a Truck that is RELIABLE,not some 'live in the Shop' POS!

Not saying there's anything wrong with your Truck muley,just wondering how well it's treated you?
These years of Fords are Injector/Turbo eating SOB'S!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

I always had the F350 with the 460 then Ford went to the V-10.

My '99 F350 was the first V-10 I had and I liked it so much my '05 F350 had it and my current '10 F350 has it.

I only tow the Toy Hauler like 6 times a year.....so I just never really felt I needed all the extra up front--to buy-- cost nor the maintence cost of a choker...the power difference is so minimal too.

My dad is an old cowboy that hauls his gooseneck stock trlr's loaded full, with the big Chevy engine in his trucks for years.....

Granted those new F150's are more pricey than a gas engine F250/F350 but man they are sweet.

I am trying to get Da Warden to trade her '05 Toy/Tacoma in for a new F150 as the Toy has so many restrictions for 'truck' use...but the F150 would be great and just as fancy----

Tough call for you on your desicion---no pymnt if ya keep it and maybe have to sweat it out-----repairs/fuel costs--ect...vs...having a pymnt and brand new and lower fuel costs and.....haha

Buy a new one---screw it!

Robb

I find it interesting that diesel guys want more power because they think they need to pull a goose neck trailer full of horses or a toy hauler full of atv's 80+ miles an hour, but no one brags about how well their rigs can actually stop in an emergency situation with all that momentum and force behind them! Maybe there's a reason gas motors pull at "sensible " speeds.....Just a thought.

I drove all 3 engines available in the F150..the new 3.5 Ecoboost was impressive as hell...and a V-6. The 6.2 liter growled like a bear, I love it and thats what I wanted, but not available in the FX4 package, so then I drove the 5.0, still pretty impressive.

The only real problems I have had with the diesel is injectors and just about 2 mos ago the rear main seal was leaking, they fixed all under the diesel warranty, but I am sure it was at least a few thousand!! Right now the truck runs like new, but its really more truck than I need.
Dave

2005 ford 6.0 3000 miles over warranty $6600.oo for repairs. I know of many people have had the same problem and should have been a recall.My 1996 7.3 which I gave my Nephew has over 300,000 on it with only a new water pump glow plug's and starter.Their making money off that 6.0.

I dont know if anyone can afford a ford after 100k so you might need an upgrade.

I know I couldnt afford their cars after 100k. In my family growing up my dad had ford stock so we always bought ford in our house. I can honestly say evey ford we ever owned and there were alot went boom before or at or around 100k. He no longer owns ford stock lol.

If I didnt need to tow Id go with a toyota. If I needed to tow Id go with the dodge hands down. INHO noting runs like a dodge!!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

If bowhunting was easy rifle hunters would do it...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-11 AT 11:05AM (MST)[p]Ya, nothing runs like a dodge. Until the front end goes out at 30 k. Then the tranny at 45 K.
Ya they might have the best engine but all the rest sure sucks an A$$.
Maybe the newer ones are better but im not gonna take a chance.

getn in a discussion about fords vs chevs, is like getn in a discussion about republicans vs democrats. You know they both suck and both will end up costing you more then you thought in the long run.. LOL

You Ford haters kill me saying They are horrible vehicles. Was Ford not the one and only "big three" still operating in the green during the depression? And were they not the only company that declined any government bailouts?
Excuse me but they didn't achieve that by rolling out junk, think about it.....just saying. ;-)

Easy PUNK!:D

We know Fords Ain't Junk!

But their JUNKY POWERJOKES are kinda JUNKY!

Don't trade your V-9 for a POWERJOKER!:D

Love my 04 F150, mine has the 5.4 V8 and I consistently get 18 mph in town and 20-plus on the freeway. Hauls my 23-foot boat and a fully loaded quad trailer just fine.

And the best part is that it does NOT ride like a truck. Super smooth and pretty quiet inside.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you can only get either basic off-road tires or mudders. I'd like to have a little bit more aggressive tread, but don't want the lift.

But you GUYS might disagree with that....:)

Pred

Come on Preddy!

Lift it!:D

Just kiddin!

When We see your Truck,We wanna see what's in the back of it!:D

I just bought my new tacoma 4x4 in january this one with a 4 banger however I won't tow anything and don't expect too(except my quad and its trailer)...total gas price choice!!
will run forever,I love it ant its pulling 19.5 city and 25 hi-way...
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I think maybe I should go drive the Tundra........Toyota seems to be the popular choice

>I find it interesting that diesel
>guys want more power because
>they think they need to
>pull a goose neck trailer
>full of horses or a
>toy hauler full of atv's
>80+ miles an hour, but
>no one brags about how
>well their rigs can actually
>stop in an emergency situation
>with all that momentum and
>force behind them! Maybe there's
>a reason gas motors pull
>at "sensible " speeds.....Just a
>thought.

I can't argue with you on that. I was coming through Big Piney 2 years ago and got caught in some wind, pulling my toy hauler. I'm glad I had a 1 ton that day. I do like my F-350 7.3. Give and take with everything....

I have a 2010 Tundra with 5.7......it will do the job. I have had it for over a year now and am impressed with the towing and handling capacity. It tows the Artic Fox with no probs. The only think I don't like is the tinny bed. Other than that, I am ready for another one.

I had a 2000 F350 Powerstroke and I had 155k on it when I sold it in 2009. I'd only put one sensor and a new set of injectors in it it in all that time. One of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. Even got 18mpg on the hwy unloaded.

I now have a 2004 F150 and it's a gas sucking pig. Gets 12.5mpg and is the roughest riding thing I've ever driven. Wouldn't sell it for nothing, but dang this thing is killing me. $85 a tank every week is not funny at all.

Sould make the wife drive it and use her lesbaru for all my scouting trips around the mountain this winter. That thing gets 28mpg and the reason I used it all year to go down to the San Juan.

Cheers,
Pete

The old Lesbaru, don't park it where anyone will see you, or you'll be branded a real nutbut. Have an f250 with a v-10 with 196,000 never been in the shop. best truck I ever owned. Just bought another one, with 46,000 on it, hope it's just as good. But!!! I wouldn't own a Ford diesel made after 2002. That 6.0 and 6.4 are just pure POS. If you gotta have a diesel, get a Dodge with a real truck engine, The Cummins.

Thanks Brownie

Well c3!

Still can't believe both of us were in the smallest Burger Joint in Monticello last Fall and both of us are wondering if the other Guy is who we think it is?

But when I seen you go out & get in that LEZBARU I figured it couldn't of been You!:D

Pete I still take a double take when I see you jump into the new rig. lol

your lezbaru will fit in better on the front or it will have less damage done by the hugger types if you leave it over night. So Id trade the wife back if I were you for that reason alone.

I wouldnt mind a Lezbaru if I could afford one.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

If bowhunting was easy rifle hunters would do it...

Muleycrazy,
You just want a new truck.....

I can sympathize cuz I'm in the same boat but in this economy without a payment, I'm not gonna do it...

Dang, those new trucks sure are sweet though [just messing with ya]

westelk,
I do want a new truck your right. I drove the 5.7 Tundra and I liked it alot, in fact I like it so much I might just buy one, tired of the Big Diesel !!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom