Trucks and gas mileage

jims

Long Time Member
What's your truck preference and how many mpg? I have a great truck setup for hunting/fishing. An x-cab Dodge PU with topper shell but my mileage has dropped to around 10 mpg...bummmer! I'd love to get a Toyota but from what I've seen a guy is lucky to get over 15 mpg. I'm not sure if I trust US models but it seems like they get a little better mileage. My preference is also a full sized truck due to more room for gear. The 4 door trucks sure look nice. I also can't afford a new model so would likely be looking for something used under $20k. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jim, my son has a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4, gas model. He gets about 16 miles per gallon highway....and that Hemi has unbelievable power. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and get about 14mpg empty but if I am loaded heavy and pulling my heavy fully loaded toy hauler trailer I get 7mph ...ouch...but you still can't stop that Gas Hemi :)

))))------->

Have a 2006 Chevy crew cab dura max. I get 19 mpg on the highway.
Problem is diesel is 65 cents a gallon more right now, but you can pull anything. I just went to AZ pulling a 11500 lb 5th wheel and still got 12 mpg.
Tons of room and power. But the price of fuel just evens it out.

+3 to the diesel. Duramax or a inline 6 cummins will do ya. great mpg and power. A 12 valve cummins is hard to beat.

I've never pulled anything oversized, but I have a 2012 Nissan Titan crew cab. The cab is larger than any other crew cab I've been in and if I don't drive it like I stoled it I can pull 19 on the highway and I've only pulled smaller things behind it, but it does stay around 16.5mpg with a few ton behind it. I bought mine new, but a year old and got it for $8k less than what you could get a 2013 for. Just a money saving tip with the end of the year around the corner, and I'm sure any make dealer would do something along that lines.

04 Duramax and get about the same mpg as previously mentioned. Big positives are; crew cab, right at 500hp, can pull pretty much anything, pre-obama crap, regular wheel base, and lots of aftermarket add on's. I wouldn't buy a new diesel due to cost and all the emission BS but a good used one would be on the list. But is mpg is all I am focusing on I would not purchase a diesel.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

My 2012 dodge 6.7 cummins from the factory only averaged about 13 on the highway, got rid of all the Obama garbage, now it has a h and s tuner, 5 inch turbo back straight pipe, s and b intake, and sinister erg delete and I average about 21 on the highway empty going 75-80 and 16 towing my jeep, no lift or tires yet. My 97 jeep wrangler with the 6 cylinder 4.0 is my daily driver and I usually get 15-17 mpg out of it. The diesel is nice for towing and road trips, but diesel is more expensive and costs a lot more to maintain.

I'm not exactly sure how you diesel guys can afford $60+ cents/gallon more for gas? It ought to cost a small fortune to go on a 1,000 mile trip? I imagine there are regular gas trucks that get 15 mpg city and 22 highway?

My 98' Tacoma 4x4 has 280k+ mi and still gets 24-6 mpg hwy,20 on these NM dirt rds. I can tow my utility trailer w/full 600 gal. water tank or load of firewood.
Would like a big 3/4 ton for the ranch, but cannot see paying the currant price for diesel.
My GF's F-250 diesel tuck can tow the horses and heavy stuff and gets about 18+ mpg hwy.

It does cost a small fortune in diesel for a hunting trip but it would cost more pulling the horses to elk camp with a gas engine. BUT, if I only used the truck for hunting it would be a gas engine. Since I pull horse trailers every week it makes sense to have the diesel.

You guys know that miles per gallon means you divide the miles driven PER the gallons used? Right?

Some claims of high fuel economy just seem a little much.

I have a few friends claiming high milage and they get it unless I'm doing the math! haha

No one's a lier here but...... I must haul more crap than the rest of you.

Mine:
F150 super cab @13 city 17 hwy... unless I pull a travel trailer and a couple quads on a douple bed rack. Then 7-8-9 is about right.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom