Tule Elk and Sheep

Wyo

I was thinking about putting in for a Tule elk and desert sheep permit in California this year. But if I read correctly in the hunting regulations there is only one elk tag and one sheep tag given to non-residents per year. Is this correct? Also where can i find out how many non-residents apply each year? Just wondering if it is even worth my time applying in Cali.

That is correct, only one NR tag each for elk and sheep. It would be like winning the biggest lottery ever, even if you have max points. You can't win if you don't play. If you are hunting another species in Calif the cost is minimal to earn the bonus point.

When I left Calif I requested my points be converted to NR points and the request was granted. I do not know how many NR have max points for sheep and elk, but I will always try to draw the one NR tags for both. When and if I ever draw, the first thing I will do will be to drive to the closest stop-n-rob and buy the lottery ticket!

They are drawn from the same pool and 10% is max for NR........since there are about 15 sheep tags a year that means 1 NR tag.

JB

And to add to what d13r said,

I haven't reviewed the reg book lately but i think in some zones it's a case where a guy with 0 points has the same % chance as another guy with max points. Still, very tuff odds.

I could be wrong here but it's something to check out if, like me, your minds wanting on one of those tags someday.

joey

Thanks for the help all! I just wish I could find out how many non-residents are even putting in for these tags. I gues I can understand why they only give one non-res sheep tag, but only one elk tag? It seems that Cali. issues around 200 elk tags total, that means only .5% go to NR's. Oh well, I guess. Just wanted to put in for a desert sheep tag in as many places as i can but for the money involved and probably horrible odds I think I'll skip california. I also thought a tule elk would be cool but again, money and odds not good. If I get desperate enough someday I could buy a tule hunt, though they are kind of expensive.

The new law states that a maximum of one tag will go to non residents (elk/sheep/ antelope). Non residents may not even get a tag! That's all three species of elk combined too. You're right about applying for a sheep/elk/antelope unit that has one tag available, points won't matter. If there are two tags available, one will go to max points and the other (or 10%) will go to everyone else, including max point hunters. Honestly, if you don't have max points as a non resident, it's not worth the N/R license fee, unless you are all ready buying a N/R license to hunt other species. Ed F

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowuntr

Up to one tag is availabe to NR for elk and antelope. This was implemented last year and a NR drew an antelope tag. Elk and antelope are a little different than deer in that 25% of the tags go into one pool and 75% are for max point holders. If there is one tag, then everyone is in the same boat regardless of points. Two tags is split, three tags (2 to max points), then from 4 tags on 75% go to max points. Some of the cow hunts are now turning over especially for archery. Most people apply for bulls and there is no way around it, it is a hard draw. California has slightly more than 300 elk tags and over 26,000 applicants each year. Max point holders are going down each year (more than the number of people drawing a tag), but applicants are increasing each year. Tough draw, nice animals.

Joe

Hey Joe,

When is that promised archery elk hunt going to start at wind wolves preserve? Wasn't that a condition of the state putting elk there??

JB

I know there was some talk about it when the old coordinator put them there. It will be revisited at some point. In the future I hope to actually divide the state up into elk zones much like the deer zones. Now not all zones will have elk (for now) but when it does become feasable to have a hunt I will already have the zone in place and can implement one. Right now we are on a 3 year cycle for our environmental document so no new hunts until 2010. I wanted to put a new hunt at Pillsbury but the Commission would not let me do a new document. Even if they do not open up there property and I am hoping they will to some extent at least the surrounding areas that have elk can open them up. It is always difficult on private property, but any hunt is better than no hunt.

Joe

Wyo, our drawing odds for both residents and non-residents are horrible, but somebody has to draw so you might as well put in if you really want a chance to hunt sheep. I know for a fact that non-residents do get drawn for desert sheep, as three seasons ago, I was the #1 alternate for the marble mtns sheep tag, right behind a guy who lived in Colorado and drew one of the three tags awarded that year.

If you think not getting drawn sucks, try knowing that you only missed getting a once in a lifetime tag by a single applicant, and he was the only non-resident your state will allow. I hope that guy had a great hunt and took a nice ram. But, for me, that sucked, big time!

Where points started for elk and antelope the same year as for sheep points? If not what is the max points for elk and ant.? I think I have max for the sheep with 6 but only one point for elk. Last year was the first chance I could draw so the first year I applied.
I do agree, it is a long shot but at least now I can have 2 or 3 long shots.
Bryan

i was under the impression that last year was the first time NR's could apply for elk, period. whether it be for a pp only or a tag.

Correct, last year was the first year NR could apply for elk and antelope. Someone has to draw and without max points you are in the same boat as everyone else. The tags are slowly increasing each year (as a general rule). When Grizzly Island numbers get back up those tags will be back to 40 instead of the ten they are at now. That herd is very healthy.

Joe

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom