Tule Tom

6x7

Very Active Member
My girlfriend drew gray lodge for the last weekend of the general season we could hunt Saturday only because i work Sundays,I am going to be honest I thought about not going a dozen time before that alarm clock went off at 2am.I can guarantee if I would have gave her the option the night before she probably would have backed out, but in the end we sure were glade we went.
Sunrise came without hearing a gobble wind was howling 20+ miles per hour making it tuff to hear,we were nearing the end of a road we were walking when I looked over 100+ yards and saw a bird strutting.we hauled butt and got around a ditch got into that field once we got close he was gobbling like mad,we set up I gave a few calls he was on us in 5 minutes at 15 yards she shot and missed.
We get to the car and go to another parking lot I got out walked 30 feet and hear a bird 150 yards out ,we take off get to the area I heard him I call and nothing, two minuets go by 2 gobblers jump out of the high grass into the road 50 yards out to far for her,were caught in the open so we freeze they walk away then two big toms hop out 35 yards from us by the time she gets it together and trying to shoot standing its a clean miss right between the two birds in the dirt,then a third Tom comes out and she's flustered and dosent get a shot at all.
Time to regroup she upset but I tell her don't worry its no biggie,my kids are back at the car and everyone's hungry so we head to gridley for breakfast and a break.
We get back to gray lodge and the wind is worse then before we drive around didnt see anything or hear anything I did a big loop walk into some virgin country and nothing.everybodys ready to go home but me, i said let's cross the road and check the other side before we leave they say ok, not 200 yards off the pavement I see a bird strutting a couple hundred yards down a ditch rd.We park hit the tules and make our way through the dry marsh that I have duck hunted many times before.He gobbled once so we kinda knew about where he was at so when we got to the next levey rd we stoped and sat.
I gave a few calls but no response I am beginning to second guess everything but I sit it out even though I want to move ,then through the tules I see him on the road so I told her were not moving, I call one more time and he's walking down into the dry marsh and that was it he was ours he strutted 40 yards in to us I told her don't worry about shooting through the tules just wait till he's in a smaller gap and fire, at 15 yards I make a call to stop him and she drops him ,3rd times charm.
2941image.jpg

8626image.jpg

7642image.jpg

Congrats on the turkey! We hunted deer there quite a few years back and I would not hunt deer there again. It is a tough hunt.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

>Congrats on the turkey! We hunted
>deer there quite a few
>years back and I would
>not hunt deer there again.
>It is a tough hunt.
>
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

We saw a lot of deer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom