Tundra

accubond

Been researching and driving trucks and I was impressed with the Tundra before the test drive and even more so after. Who's driving one and what can you tell me about it, good or bad? The only other truck I would consider is the Ecoboost but I just don't trust the direct injection yet. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-12 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]I currently have an 07 and love it. I have not had any problems and that is why I went with Toyota is reliability as my last truck, a Tacoma was simply awesome and no problems either. I pull a 21' Toyhauler and it does just fine, not a diesel but im happy considering the price of diesel fuel. Let me know what specific questions you have. Good luck.

Do you tow in manual and just go up to fifth or does it hold 6th okay when not climbing too much? What are you getting for milage when your empty? How many miles do you have and what configuration do you have?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I have a 2010, love the thing. I've had a 2 new GMC's, and the Tundra is a better built truck, no questions.

I get 15.3 MPG, more power than either GMC. I'll never buy a Chevy or GMC again.

Plus more parts of a Tundra come from America. And, they didn't get bailed out by the government......but that's another story.

elkun it you are referring to pearl harbor and the japs, maybe take a second look at what our government did, and then make a better informed decision. Pearl harbor pales in comparison to the auto bailout in destruction of our core principles as a country.

Smitty said, "... Pearl harbor pales in comparison to the auto bailout in destruction of our core principles as a country."

Are you F'n nuts? That's got to be the stupidest post i've ever read on MM!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Smitty, glad to hear your good luck with the tundra. It is crazy and powerful and built in Texas. I agree the end money may go to Japan but their supply chain employs plenty of Americans. Are you getting 15.3 with factory tires are have you done anything to modify your truck? I would get the double cab to have the extra box room if I decide to that way.

I got that mileage with the stock tires till I wore them out. Then I got some Toyo mud terrains and get the same. Haven't done a thing to upgrade the motor. Just oil changes and wash it now and then.

If you look around, you can get good deals on them. I got mine for almost 5k less than the GMC!

I feel as if i'm as conservative as the next guy but i don't see the huge deal some make of the bailout to GM. This Country has wasted far more money doing far less good for generations.

I did though, lose a Uncle in Perl Harbor while he was off duty, trying to get back to his ship.

To even put, compare, the two events in the same sentence or paragraph, to me is lunacy.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'm sorry about your uncle Sage. I've been to pearl harbor, I feel animosity for anyone, or anything that attacks our country. I was referring to elkuns comment about remembering a WWII vet, which conjures up feelings of betrayal that someone would even think of supporting a company that is from a country that 70 years ago attacked us and killed a bunch of our people. And as I stated in my post, that the attack paled in comparison to the bailout in destroying our core principles, is simply that. If any of us should feel betrayed, it should be about our own government, just because they didn't drop bombs and fly planes into battleships, doesn't change the fact that they purposefully harmed our country. You don't have to kill people to screw them over.

I hope that explains it.

Now, let's get back to the original point of this thread.

I've been a Tundra owner since 07 as well. Mine has 220K and drives like it did the day I drove it off the lot. Only thing I've done is new brakes, front rotors, a battery, and change the oil.. Couldn't be happier. I have a 3" lift in the works, and plan to make a true huntin' rig out of her.. On a side note, I was rear ended at the 30K mile mark.. $8K in damage, bent frame, the works. Once repaired she's never skipped a beat. Tough trucks!

Kevin

OK, i'll retract the "are you F'n nuts?" comment.

I do though think that you are way over blowing the GM Bailout thing. Just my opinion! I'd much rather talk hunting! Carry On!

Joey

I bought a 2011 tundra last febuary with the 5.7 engine and put a 3/1 level lift, slightly bigger wrangler duratrac tires, air raid cold air intake with throttle body spacer and air bags shortly after purchasing the truck. Im at 36000 miles now averaging 16.7 empty when I calculate it myself which matches close to the computer read out. Haven't had any mechanical issues just bent my skid plate up. If you purchase a tundra and plan to do your own oil changes you will need to buy a special wrench, they are $80 from a dealer or $10 from a tool truck

smitty,my dad was a ww2 vet, you can take that jap pice of shizz, and put it you know where' bail out paled in comparison. ,to the start of ww2. w hy you dumb inbread ,

Its ok, I know you can't fix stupid....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have a 2008. It is a plain jane model double cab. No oversized tires or lift kit. normal driving in town is usually around 16mpg, it ranges from 13-17 depending on how I run the gas peddle. Highway is 15-18 normally but I have got as high as 20.9 multiple times with all of our hunting gear.
I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else. zero problems at 81,000 miles. My 5th toyota and won't change.
It has more than enough power, actually all trucks do these days. I wish they would tone them down to get better milage but that is another topic...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

Great feed back guys, thanks! I didn't mean to start an argument but since it was brought up I have a serious question. Why is there so much anger towards Toyota but none towards Volkswagon?

>Why
>is there so much anger
>towards Toyota but none towards
>Volkswagon?
>
>

Because Hitler was Austrian. :eek:

back to the Tundra issue - I owned a 2005. Worst truck I have ever owned. No power, crappy gas milage, couldn't tow worth crap. Point is Don't buy the older body style. I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough.

Toyota makes a good gasser, but for guys with real work to do they drive a diesel pickup...

Can't compare a gasser to a diesel...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Can't argue that justr. I just don't haul enough or with enough frequency to justify a diesel.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]I've had all the brands and love my toyota! Awesome truck with enough power to pull everything I own. Never had one ounce of problems. Mine's an 08 with 47k on it. When I first heard about the eco boost I wondered the most about the gas milage but reading enough forums you'll find out they are not getting the gas milage they were claiming. I really liked my GMC sierra 1/2 ton but after owning the Tundra, I am glad I switched. The only thing I wish I could fix on my truck is a bigger gas tank. They make an aftermarket 47 gallon tank for it but it costs just over 1k to have one put in. Other then that, I live with 14-16 MPG and 11 MPG when I tow. Before I lifted the truck it got 18 MPG .

buck1.gif

I own an 07 and love it. I get a little over 17 on the highway. My next truck will be another Tundra, but I'll keep driving this one for quite a while. +1 on the small gas tank. No other complaints. This is my 5th Toyota truck. Never had a problem with any of them.

I have a 2004 Double cab (that's an extended cab, not a crew cab)
252,000 miles, 15-16 mpg when it was new and that's what it still gets. 4.6 Liter V-8, replaced one rear wheel bearing, front brake rotors once, muffler once, four wheel drive actuator once, head light covers replaced (scratched up), gas cap cover and broke an inside door handle.

The front end has never been touched and the steering is as tight as when it was new, no uneven tire wear.

Plenty of power but I don't tow anything. Paint still good except for the wrecks.

I will probably buy another one when I wear this one out. But the new body style isn't anything like the old one.

If there is one thing I don't like about it is that it's light in the rear end and spins easily if road is slick, if there is snow on the road you need to be in 4-wheel drive.

>smitty,my dad was a ww2
>vet, you can take that
>jap pice of shizz, and
>put it you know where'
>bail out paled in comparison.
>,to the start of ww2.
>w hy you dumb inbread
>,

Can someone translate this for me? I'm just a "dumb inbread" and am having a hard time figuring out what elkun is trying to say. I think he's insulting me?

My truck is a Double cab SR5 TRD. I currently have a 6" lift and am running 35" Nitto tires. Have had the lift about a year now. When I tow I usually just put in drive and go. Have messed with manual shifting some but did not notice whole lot of differnce. I do use the manual mode quite a bit when pulling trailer up steep dirt roads and down steep grades when off the highway. I have only had trailer since June and so far while pulling I have been impressed for a 1/2 ton gas. If I may ask, what other trucks are you considering?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 07:31?PM (MST)

I bought a 2012 5.7 double cab long bed this summer. Put a 3/1 OME lift and am loving the truck. It has crazy power for a gas motor, granted I came from driving a V6 Tacoma.

My one complaint is I blew out my steering rack with 700 miles on the truck. The dealer did warranty it no questions asked. With a little research I found I was not the only one with power steering rack issues.
Other than the rack, its a great truck. It hauls my 5,500 lb trailer with ease. When towing I use the tow haul mode and "S" mode together. When on flats I keep it in S5, on grades I'll use 4 and sometimes 3 if its steep enough. I also use the S1 on nastier dirt roads. (while in "S" mode the tranny will not be allowed to shift past the gear you have selected)
Normal freeway driving I get 15-16 mpg. If I milk it I could get better, its tough to keep your foot out of the pedal. Towing I'm guessing somewhere around 10ish. I have never put the math to it when towing.
You won't regret buying one- Toyota makes one hell of a truck.

smitty,. you jap owners are to dumb to insult. (pistols at dawn work for you.?) bb or 177 cal.

I have a 05 tundra double cab TRD. I get 20 mpg with the street tires. I love my truck. I did tell my uncle about this thread. He was in WWII. He laughed. HE said those people payed the price for their actions. He said he didn't have any trouble riding in my truck. Ron

I owned a Ford Ranger once. The tranny went at 80k, the engine blew at 120k. My next truck was a Tacoma and I got 213k without a single problem. I traded that in for a Tundra. I now have 150k on that without a single problem. You guys go ahead and drive your POS Fords, Chevys or whatevers.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

My Father spent two and a half years in the South Pacific during WWII fighting the Japanese and he wouldn't buy anything made in Japan.

But we live in a different world than my Father did. If you think buying a Toyota that's 90% made in America is the bigget threat to your freedom then you need to open your eyes.

Everyone here has a house full of items made in a Communist country and we have a Communist President working for the redistribution of wealth in the world at our expense. And 53% of the people in this country agree with him.

I was going to respond to the "you Jap owners are too dumb to insult" but I would probably use big words. And well, that just gets confusing....

'08 double cab 5.7 and love it. Have a level kit in it with 33.5" toyos. Hate the tires, love the truck. Mileage isn't so bad, and I love the power the truck has. Haven't towed much with it, but I won't be buying anything else.

My dad year after year asks me questions about my truck, and ponders buying a Tundra. He continues to stick with his Dodge, and continues to have it in the shop. (Not a direct hit at Dodge BTW). Not sure why he doesn't just pull the trigger. He'd be so much happier if he did.

>I owned a Ford Ranger once.
>The tranny went at 80k,
>the engine blew at 120k.
>My next truck was a
>Tacoma and I got 213k
>without a single problem. I
>traded that in for a
>Tundra. I now have 150k
>on that without a single
>problem. You guys go ahead
>and drive your POS Fords,
>Chevys or whatevers.
>
>
>No estas en mexico ahora, entonces
>escoja tu basura
>chancho sucio.

I've got a pos ranger with 300,000 miles. It must be the Mazda in it. The way some of you guys act I'm shocked there are actually repair bays behind Toyota dealerships. Must be just in case they get a stuck accelerator.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]Own 2 Tundras. 2002 4.7 Ltr V8 SR5 TRD and 2008 5.7 Ltr V8 Double cab Tundra Grade.

The 2002 has 156,000 miles and zero issues. Even pulled a gooseneck horse trailer for years with it. The 02 is now the supreme hunting truck. Hasnt let me down once. Always starts, runs well, and holds the loads and off roading I do.

The 2008 is my primary Towing truck. I'm pulling a 22ft. Aluminum Gooseneck horse trailer now. 3 horse slant w/ a 6ft short wall. It has plenty of power and pulls evenly. I put air bags on the truck to handle the tongue weight easier. It has 65,000 miles on it now and zero issues. I havent ever replaced the breaks yet for as much as I pull. I put a B&W turnover ball in the bed. Really like those hitches for the Tundra.

Cant go wrong with a Toyota. My 02 was made in Indiana and the 08 was made in Texas. The 'jap' argument is outdated and not worthy of argument anymore. If we all held grudges against everything forever.. we'd still be fighting England, yet they are our allie.

>I owned a Ford Ranger once.
>The tranny went at 80k,
>the engine blew at 120k.
>My next truck was a
>Tacoma and I got 213k
>without a single problem. I
>traded that in for a
>Tundra. I now have 150k
>on that without a single
>problem. You guys go ahead
>and drive your POS Fords,
>Chevys or whatevers.
>
>
>No estas en mexico ahora, entonces
>escoja tu basura
>chancho sucio.

Now I gotta chuckle at this.. I had the same exact thing happen to me with my 95 ford ranger. 30k air conditioning went out, 77k the 4x4 went out, 100k the tranny blew out on the interstate in the dead of winter and at 115K the engine blew out. I trashed the sucker and bought a Toyota.

I have a 2007 5.7 4x4 double cab--just went past 100K. My biggest problem is that I owned a Tacoma before and have had a hard time adjusting to the wider and longer wheel base, meaning I've destroyed the skid plate, two fenders, and the rear bumper. I should have gave it a 3" lift like I first intended. It's a heavy truck, so expect to be replacing brake pads/rotors fairly frequently. I get about 14 to 15 mpg. I too wish it had a bigger gas tank, but all in all I'd say it's been a great truck.

Thanks guys. TRDHUNTER, I am also considering the new ecoboost F-150 but I am a little scared of the direct injection/carbon build-up that has plagued GDI engines in the past. For what its worth and whether or not you trust the source I thought this was interesting.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0611

>Toyota makes a good gasser, but
>for guys with real work
>to do they drive a
>diesel pickup...
>
>Can't compare a gasser to a
>diesel...
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

When are you gonna switch to a real diesel? Can't compare a maxipad to a Cummins! :)

Traditional >>>------->

2010 tundra, with leveling kit. absolutely love it. 31k miles, no problems, still have the crappy stock tires. def talk them into getting you 10 ply off road tires, the stock ones are 4 ply and they suck. had three flats in them. can't wait until they wear out to buy 10 ply aggressive tires.
I guess there is only one thing I can complain about, my brother has a tundra and he put on 275/70/r18 (stock are 275/65/18) so its taller and a little wider and now the tires rub on the inside when turning really tight (this is with stock rims). but he said its no big deal. I know you wont regret a Tundra.

I have a 2007 Tundra I bought new love it, many out of state trips pulling horses,camp tailer ect not one problem. How many Fords,Chev,you see along the road with the hood up? Your next trip keep a count.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom