Turkey Broadheads

coueskiller

Hey guys, my AZ turkey hunt stars in about 4 weeks and I have decided to go at it with my bow. I am looking for advice on what type of broadhead I should use. I am currently shooting muzzy 100gr 3 blade heads. I know these will work fine but I am hearing that an expandable is a better choice and that you want your arrow to stay in the bird thus making it harder for him to fly or run off after the shot. I have looked at the gobbler gullitene but I don't think I want to go that route due to needing a longer arrow and not being able to put it in your quiver. Anyhow just looking for some advice, fire away!!

Thanks,
Geoff

Geoff,
I typically use the muzzy 100g 3 blade with exellent results on turkeys, although the arrow does typically pass completely thru the bird. However a well hit bird usually doesn't go very far. I try to hit them where the wings hinge into the body.

I have a friend that uses expandables and he says that they almost always stop in the bird, he has had some concern over lack of penetration (on shots into the turkeys back), and was considering going back to a fixed blade.

I suppose this probably isn't much help, so I'd say go with the one you can shoot the most accurately and have fun. The most difficult part is drawing back on a turkey thats coming into the call, they have awsome eyes.

Good Luck,
Jody

Thanks Jody, This is going to be a blast, I have been seeing a tom of nice toms and there are only 25 permits in my unit! I may just shoot the Muzzys but I just wanted to get some more info on what others are having good results with.

Thanks,
Geoff

I've had good results with the vortex broadhead. They have a 2 1/2 inch cutting diameter. Also I get great arrow flight out of them. I also have a unit 9 spring tag. I want to try my new shotgun though to see how it performs on this years hunt. Anyway, good luck, hope you stick one man!

Shedreg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-07 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]You could use one of those scorpio arrow arrester things behind your broadhead...slows the arrow down on impact. might need to re-sight in your bow though i guess.
some guys just turn down their draw weight. that also makes for less movement and less strain when the tom is bearing down on you.

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=518211

I also like the Vortic heads. The ones i have have 2 3/4 inch blades. It cuts a huge hole and always stays in them.

Thanks for the replys guys, I have some Vortex 100gr 2 blades, haven't shot them in years but was also thinking that may be the ticket, I packed them away after they let me down on a bull elk may years ago and I haven't touched them since but maybe I will break them out on a big strutting Tom!

Thanks,
Geoff

The Rage 2-blade would be my choice! They fly just like my field tips and have a very generous cutting diameter with a rearward opening blade system.

I may be weird, but I shoot the same one I use on deer, MOOSE and elk. Satellite 125s out of the compound, or Magnus Stingers out of the Trad bow.

"I have looked at the gobbler gullitene but I don't think I want to go that route due to needing a longer arrow and not being able to put it in your quiver."

he doesn't want to use them.

If you want to shoot a really good expandable head, look at the New Archery Products Gobbler Getters. They are a 3 blade expandable, but the neat thing about them is that the ferrule isn't pointed sharply like on a Thunderhead. Instead, it is rounded, sort of blunt. They fly like field points, open reliably and hit hard with that blunt pointed ferrule. They also stay in the bird better.

I have used the Rocket Hammerhead and the Vortex 125. I would not shoot a deer or elk with either one of them, but they make great turkey heads. I have never had a lack of penetration with either one and they put a real hurt on a turkey. I have shot them with regular fixed blade heads and have had a hard time finding them and blow right thru them. Good Luck in your quest, it is a lot of fun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom