turkey broadheads??

cammoman33

finally drew a tag! going to use the bow, was wondering if anyone has used the goulitine or mangus turkey broadheads. I was thinking of using them, or just use my rage. just wondering if they will be a pain to tune. thanks

With the guillotine be sure your insert sits well in front of your riser while you are at full draw before you buy them. If your arrows are long enough, and your bow is already tuned you should have no problem with either of those heads. I'd buy extra so I could practice and make sure though.

The local archery guru suggested that I use the same broadheads that I hunt big game with--but, use a set that has small notches filed into each of the blades that will pick up feathers as it penetrates so the arrow expends its energy into the bird rather than just zipping through. There are several reasons this is advantageous. First, a bird with an arrow stuck in it can't move as well and won't go as far. Second, if the arrow knocks him down, it gives you a chance to get up and grab it before it runs off. Doing this also makes your arrows easier to find, reduces the chance that a pass through will glance off at some odd angle and into another bird, and you won't have to worry about re-tuning your bow if it's already set up for that broadhead.

A bunch of my friends have taken turkeys with the G5 Striker Magnum. Worked well for them.

}}-SLIVER-->

I like a big mechanical. The Rocket Stricknine has worked well for me. I like to aim for the top of the thigh on a broadside turkey. In a strut position there is a rectangular patch of shiny feathers that will cover this area. I aim right there. Most problems with turkeys come from shoothing them too far forward and too low. You have to break them down. A shot right up the pooper works well as they strut away. So does a shot right in the center of the back from a non-strutting facing away position.

We have found that if you act just like you shot a big game animal after a hit and not try to run out and step on it you will have a much greater chance of recovery. They run a little ways and lie down. This is much better than letting them take wing and flying.

I've had the opposite experience on Merriam's here in CO. I've seen too many turkeys lost or almost lost that shouldn't have been.

It's fine to sit and wait after the shot if you're hunting a cut field and can see them for some distance. Try tracking a bow-shot turkey through the sage or serviceberry and you'll see there is a time and place to run them down. They don't bleed much and most of the feathers will be right where you shot him. I've shot birds with a shotgun that dropped right away and it still can take several minutes to find them in calf-height cover.

An advantage to big cutting diameter expandables is that you will break bone in the wings, thigh, or spine and there won't be a tracking job. Even if they do fly after they are hit they'll usually be down close to where they land if it was a good shot.

There was one gobbler I shot that took flight even though we sat still, and we almost lost him because he would have flown down into a huge canyon covered in service berry and pinyon-juniper. Luckily my buddy was able to shoot him out of the air just in time.

Turkeys don't take a lot of killing, but like anything it needs to be a good shot to start with. Its up to each individual hunter whether to run it down or not, let the situation dictate, but don't rule it out IMO.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-09 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]Killed a turkey using NAP Gobbler Getter 100gr. It is a spitfire mechanical that has a rounded tip that is supposed to create trauma with blunt force instead of cut on contact style tips. It worked good for me last year and I plan on using them again this year. The blades are replaceable as well so you can use some for practice and replace the blades and use them for hunting. No rubber bands to deal with either.

I like the 2 blade rage for turkeys personally. I shot my bird last year with one and it punch at nasty hole in him which worked for me.

As far as the kill zone it's better to hit them alittle high. Their vitals ride pretty high up. If you hit them below the wingbutt the arrow could easily hit the breast and miss the vitals. On the other hand I've killed several when I hit them low either in the leg or thigh. Turkeys have a real tough time getting airborne if they can't run or jump. I feel sorry for you guys out west having to draw tags for turkeys. The landowner where I deer hunt thinks they're pests.

Greg down at Utah Archery Center told me tonight that EPEK has a turkey broadhead and from what he told me about it, it sounds like the ticket for sure!!

~Z~

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom