Turkey Hunt = Dead Coyote

cowslayer

Decided to take my son out Turkey hunting this morning. As the turkeys were gobbling and coming in, I thought I was going to close the deal and have my son right by my side while I did it. Well as plans always go, before long the birds had shut-up and I knew it wasn't us. I thought maybe someone had screwed us up and walked into all the gobbles. Well as we got up and started to change positions, we noticed a few deer breaking out of the oak above us and bouncing down toward us. I was now convinced that someone was sneaking in on us. Well before I knew it, this yote was sneaking down and on a trail that would bring him within range. At 35 yards, I barked at him and he stopped allowing me to settle the bead on his head and sending 3 1/2 inches hot lead through this dog.

Last week we called in two coyotes to 60 yards while trying to call in some turkeys for my wife. Just a little farther than we thought would be lethal.

Darn Coyotes!!! Not only trying to get the turkeys, but messing with the deer too.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - VIP Optics

Nice shooting Chris! Glad you got that yote! If you need help getting the others let me know! We will run up and finish them off! Good luck on the turkeys! Keep at it! I am sure your son had a great morning either way! Way to go!

Chad

Way to go! Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I was turkey calling and a coyote came sneaking in...he got a face full of lead too!

NICE JOB CowSlayer!!!

I'VE ACTUALLY CALLED IN MORE PREDATORS THAN TURKEYS THIS YEAR!!!

HAD TO LET MOST OF THEM GO!!!

BUT ONE MORNING WHILE I WAS WALKING INTO WHERE I'D BE HUNTING I HEARD A PACK OF YOTES ABOVE ME,A DEER KILL FOR SURE!!!

DIDN'T THINK TOO MUCH OF IT!!!

I GOT SET UP & HAD ONE OF MY DECOYS SET UP!!!

THE TIME WAS GETTING RIGHT!!!

HERE CAME 2 TOMS AT A RATHER FAST PACE PASSING BY AT 7 YARDS,DECENT TOMS BUT I LET EM GO!!!

THEN I HEARD SEVERAL BIRDS PECKING & MAKING THEIR ALERT CALL!!!

I THOUGHT WTH???

I LOOKS BACK UP COUNTRY & SURE ENOUGH,ONE OF THE YOTES FROM ABOVE VENTURING MY WAY!!!

HE SEE'S MY DEKE AND MOVES OVER INTO THE BRUSH,I HAD MY BEAD ON HIM BUT IT'S ONE OF THEM DEALS,DO I SHOOT & SCREW THE WHOLE HUNT UP OR DO I LET HIM GO IN HOPES OF SOMETHING GOOD MAYBE HAPPENING???

WELL I LET HIM GO,YA IT WAS A HARD DECISION!!!

THEN HE GETS DOWN WIND & STARTS SNEAKING UP BEHIND MY DEKE,I THOUGHT YOU SOB!!!

AGAIN THINKING ABOUT LETTING HIM GO HE SINKS HIS CANINES INTO MY DEKE & AT 8 YARDS I SQUOZE OFF!!!

YA IT WAS MY "BLOW UP" DEKE,KINDA LIKE JACKMASTERS GIRLFRIEND!!!

A FEW NIGHTS LATER MY SON CAME HOME SMILING & PROUD AS HELL WITH 2 EMPTY SHELLS IN HIS HAND,I'M THINKING: WELL HE FINALLY LET THE AIR OUT OF A GOBBLER,NO HE TOASTED 2 COYOTES IN ONE STAND,SAID HE HAD TO LEAD THE SECOND YOTE ABOUT 5 FEET AFTER THAT FIRST SHOT WENT OFF!!!

THE PREDATORS HERE WHERE WE HUNT ARE UNFRICKENBELIEVABLE!!!

A TURKEY CALL WILL NET YOU JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING BUT A TURKEY!!!

LAST NIGHT WE HAD A SCENE WITH 2 BIG FAT ASSED CHICKEN HAWKS AND A FRICKEN MOOSE!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Nice job CS! Thaat picture of your boy is a classic. He just looks like he is having fun ALL the time.

That's right...wack em and stack em. Gotta love it. Sounds like you boys had a lot of fun. Wish I could have been there. Now go and kill a stinkin bird will ya...

CSO
It's all about the good times...

It was an amazing morning. You can't beat spending time with your boy in the mountains and having him tell you that was the coolest thing ever!!!

It truly was. I think my boy is hooked on hunting! You know he's got it bad when his teachers at school and church know every little detail about the hunts you've been on this last fall. I can't wait to hear what he tells them this week. He already told a neighbor lady all about it this morning and had to call grandma to let her know about it.

Good way to end the morning hunt...

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - VIP Optics

Great job Cowslayer and Cowslayer Jr! I bet you won't forget that morning anytime soon. Hopefully you can get a gobbler next time!

That is the cutest photo. (The first one.) I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to hunt with me.

CS,

I can attest to the fact that the whole class knows about your sons hunts! When I saw this post I asked my daughter if your son was in class today. She said, no he is huntin! Then I showed her his picture and she thought that was pretty cool! Congrats again on the best morning ever!

Chad

Great photo of your son! We always carry one or two "Dead Coyote" shells with us when turkey hunting. If we see a dog and have a chance to call him in, we switch shells and give it a go. Dead Coyote will drop a dog at more than 60 yards, usually stone dead at those distances. If you haven't shot it before, you'd be amazed at how lethal it is. It is T shot, made with hevishot alloy.

The turkeys thank you...I personally call it job security--and I whack a dog if it comes in to a turkey call...

Those are the aggressive, bad attitude dudes and when you send them to the big desert in the sky, you're doing those birds a big favor!

Keep it up, where ever you're at!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom