Turkey hunt....errr LUCK

Zeke

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-13 AT 10:22AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/9049img_0217-001.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8597img_0202-001.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8535img_0188-001.jpg

I decided that I should probably burn my 8 turkey points on a central tag and figured I'd have a pretty good chance of drawing. LOL

I made it out 5 times over 4 days and took this tom last Tuesday night in a snow storm.

It was more of a "luck" than a hunt because I drove into the area and another truck was sitting at the closed road. Since I didn't want to mess him up I decided to look over the basin before dropping down an historically productive ridge.

My son-in-law was texting me about meeting up that night and I told him not to come because of the blizzard and that I would stay the course and see what happened.

With the phone finally in it's resting place I took to the binos and instantly saw a couple turkeys.... and the back one was a pretty good tom! Lucky!

They were about 300 yards away but with every step the were getting closer. Could I really be lucky enough to cut them off?

When they were behind some trees I slipped out of the car and down a trail until the brush became too thick and the walking was too noisy. I waited. Would I really be so lucky? They kept coming but I could only catch glimpses of them as they worked toward me in the snow storm.

After about 20 minutes the hen came through a little clearing right below me. Holy cow! This might be my lucky day! After a few seconds the tom followed the hen into my shooting lane and with the boom of the gun, the tom was down.

I looked back up and could see the car about 40 yards above me! It had been quite a stalk! LOL

Luck, luck and more luck was the word of the day.

I wish I could brag about my turkey calling skill (which I don't have) or my great turkey set but the simple fact is I got LUCKY and took a nice tom.

After almost 60 years I've come to realize that luck has more to do with hunting success than about everything else combined.

Be prepared to get lucky, it's my new motto.

I love luck!

Zeke

Nice Tom. Congrats!!! Sometimes it pays to be lucky. I have gone out for 3 years of drawing and have not killed a bid yet. Once was on the pauns, the other was for the boulder, and the other here in the central. I am just unlucky with turkeys. I hope to get me a turkey this may with an over the counter tag. I guess we eill cross those finges, AGAIN!

Congrats Zeke. I figured you would get it done. I agree, there is always some luck in hunting. Hopefully we do our part, which you did prior to the hunt and your four prior trips out.

Congrats and enjoy your bird!!!

>That thunder chickens head lookes like
>"Dennis ******** Rodman"!!
>

LOL, You remembered my comment! I didn't realize it but you're totally correct.

Zeke

PS; Thanks guys for all your comments. It really was a fun hunt!

Congrats zeke! That is a nice thunder chicken! I hope to get one on the Gen!

Don't drink and call your Girlfriend at night!!!!!!

That's is an UGLY bird! Congrats! Is it big enough to make B&C?

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Hope the Hike back to the Car wasn't too Difficult,lol!:D

Nice Job!

Sometimes that Nasty Spring Time Weather ain't such a Bad thing!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Real nice bird love the colors and looks like he has most of his feathers. Would make a great mount!

>Nice Job! Hope
>you didn't have to quarter
>him. Nice looking bird.
> Rutnbuck

LOL.
Quarter him to haul him all 80 yards to the car? It was kinda steep though. I should have called for some help. haha

Zeke

Dang nice bird there Zeke!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom