Turkey huntt!!

steelie

Well I got my tag for Cache Early (A) - so that is what LE tags look like huh....

I've got a few questions for some of you turkey pros, as this will be my first time:

Gun -

This is what I own,: a 10 gauge BPS, 12 gauge A5 3", 12 gauge 2 3/4" pump fixed full choke (family heirloom). I'd really like to use the smaller 12 gauge, but I understand its limitations, I'm planning on picking up an extra full choke for one of the bigger guns, just haven't decided which one. What do you think makes more sense, the extra distance from the 10, or the quick follow up from the auto?

Calls -

I've never used a turkey call in my life. Some seem complicated, like the ones you put in your mouth (like an elk reed). Others like the box or the ceramic? stick with the slate? pad look pretty simple. Are any of these rated for a novice, or will I do more harm than good? My hunt starts April 12th, northern Utah. Would it be wise to get out a few weeks early and try some calling? Will I get any responses in late march? Will I scare them into the next county, as I try and learn the call? When do I call?

I've read a couple of how-to books since I found out I drew, most of the info of course looks like it pertains to hunting in the south. Do turkeys out here behave differently? Do decoys work here?

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.

Terry

P.S. if anyone on the Cache unit is experiencing a turkey infestation, drop me a PM. I will be glad to help:)

steelie!!!

IF YOU'RE GET THE CHOKE USE THE 10 GAUGE!!!

ANY GUN WILL WORK THOUGH!!!

IT ONLY TAKES ONE SHOT!!!

THE REED CALLS WORK BEST IF YOU'RE HUNTING ALONE,YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE MESSING/MOVING AROUND TAKING CHANCES ON THE BIG TOM SEEING YOU BUT THEY TAKE MORE PRACTICE TO MASTER!!!

THE BOX & SLATE CALLS ARE GREAT BUT THEY REQUIRE MOVEMENT OF THE HANDS,IF YOU HAVE SOMEBODY HELPING YOU I'D HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE,THEN YOU (THE SHOOTER!!!) DON'T HAVE TO SCREW AROUND TAKING A CHANCE ON A BIG TOM BUSTING YOU,THESE ARE EASY TO USE,IF YOU ARE HUNTING ALONE YOU CAN STILL GET SET-UP & USE THEM & I STILL HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!!!

I'D BUY SOME CALLS & START PRACTICING RIGHT NOW!!!

I WOULDN'T GO OUT EARLY & START EDUCATING THEM WITH CALLS,THE BIG TOMS ARE JUST LIKE BIG BULLS,THEY ARE EXPECTING TO SEE A LADY FRIEND WHEN THEY DO COME IN,NOT SOME PERSON DRESSED IN CAMO HOLDING A GUN!!!

HITTING THE STRUT IS THE SAME AS HITTING THE RUT,HARD TO OUTGUESS THE WEATHER,STRUT MAY BE A LITTLE LATER AS WE HAVE MORE SNOW THIS YEAR!!!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A DECENT DECOY OR TWO,THIS DISTRACTS THEM FROM THE GUY HOLDING THE GUN SOMETIMES!!!

HERES WHERE THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL COMES IN HANDY & ALL THEM TURKEY HUNTS,WATCH EM,PRACTICE WITH YOUR CALLS,DO NOT "OVERCALL",WEAR FULL CAMO INCLUDING A FACE NET/HAT OVER YOUR FACE!!!

IT CAN BE EASY AT TIMES!!!

OTHER TIMES WHILE TRYING TO OUTSMART THE BIG GOBBLERS IT CAN BE AS TOUGH AS ANY HUNT THERE IS!!!

THESE BIRDS HAVE VISION LIKE A LOPER IF NOT BETTER,THEIR HEARING IS EXCELLENT AND IF THEY COULD SMELL WE'D PROBABLY NEVER GET A TURKEY DINNER!!!

I HOPE THIS HELPS & GOOD LUCK!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Above advice is right on. Also, while calling is important, setting up in the proper place is just as important. Get as close as you an without busting toms. If setting up on, in the dark, roosting toms try to get within 100 yds, 50 is even better, if you can get that close without busting. Don't over call, a few yelps is all that is needed most of the time. Decoys help in distracting a tom. Good luck, it can be addicting. Rember not all toms are killed in the classic "tom coming in gobbling at full strut".

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Buy a few different calls and just keep them in your truck. And use them whenever you are driving around. That is what I did. The first time I ever drew a tag I got lucky and got woke up by a turkey gobbling up on the hillside. Chased him down and called him in with the call named "The Freak". Guess you can call it beginners luck. And I shot it with a Browning Automatic that belonged to my grandpa that is at least 80 years old. So just get out there and who knows what will happen. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom