turkey question

nmelknut

after hunting the same turkey for the past few days finally get a shot and miss. here's the question- we were about 40 yards from his roost. he was henned up and would not come to calls. so we set up between the field and his tree.I got over zealous and hurried the shot about 30 yards. after the miss there was no talking or trying to call waited till dark and left. what our the chances of him staying with this roost?

Thats a tough one. I would say give him a couple of days and let him get back into his routine without any pressure. When you do go back in try to go back on a morning hunt and listen from a distance and see if he is still in the same area, if not the same tree. It is possible that he could use the same roost again, but since the disturbance occured so close to the roost he may not return for a few days. Just give him some time and he might give you a second chance.

jeff

The turkeys I hunt in Cali have their P.H.D'S in staying alive but they have short memories, give him three days and he should be back. BH1

The turkey will come back if that was his home area and a regular roosting area, he doesn't know what happened.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom