TURKEY SEASON

WE TOOK A 10 YEAR OLD YOUNG MAN ON HIS FIRST TURKEY HUNT, AND HE SHOT A 10 INCH BIRD THAT WAS A BEAUTY. I LATER SHOT A TURKEY THAT WAS 10 INCHES ALSO....IT WAS A HOOT. WE SAW 40 BIRDS BY 9 O'CLOCK THEN KNOCKED OFF FOR A LITTLE BREAKFAST. CANT WAIT TO GO AGAIN......YD.

Dave, good job on the turkeys! I haven't been yet. Deep snow and still snowing last weekend.

Good luck on all your big game draws!

Steve

EEL, YOU STILL FIGHTIN SNOW.....BET YOU GOT ALOT OF BIRDS UP THERE HUH. WHAT ARE YOU DRAWING FOR THIS SEASON???....YD.

YD, not very many birds up where I hunt. I've never taken one. They move down lower on private. No out of state this year. Stay close to home and save some money. I plan on a week vacation to bowhunt blacktails.

Steve

I haven't been yet, but one of my partners shot a 10" bird on the 2nd day. None of us went on opening day since it was drizzling and foggy. Last night, my son came by the house and tossed a beard onto my lap. He went and asked for permission to hunt some private land other than our normal places, got the OK and then went out and shot what might be the heaviest beard I've ever seen. I didn't measure it, but think it would be close to 10", it's probably longer than it looked, due to being so incredibly thick. I've got dozens of beards on a shelf and nothing comepares to this one for thickness.

I'll probably go tomorrow and again on Saturday.

Update, I went last Friday and killed one of the biggest toms I've ever shot. 11 1/4" beard and long, curved spurs. Son got another bird that he let a buddy shoot for his first tom, 10" even. We haven't been hunting that much yet, but have taken four long beards so far. Tons of mature birds around this year. The wet spring from two years ago has turned into a boom for turkeys, as we didn't kill any that year, hardly hunted as wet as it was, and they must have had an incredible hatch that spring. We're seeing lots of toms, maybe our most ever and I say that with almost 30 years of experience hunting them.

I'm going tomorrow on our foothills ranch, and then on Sunday out in the valley on some other land we own and will hunt them in riparian country. Two very different hunts, for sure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom