Turkey season is upon us!

I will be out with my older 2 daughters hunting the youth season. We are pumped and ready. My oldest on keeps walking around house helping like a Turkey making my wife mad. I keep laughing , I think it’s funny! Good luck to all!!

So with newbie’s. Do you still recommend xtra full chokes or is it wise to step down a little? I doubt the two 10 year olds I’m taking are good past 30 yds and I feel we will be patterned pretty tight. 20ga 3” #5 mag loads

I am taking my daughter turkey hunting in Wisconsin.

Just as eagerly though I'm waiting for RioHuntNutt to post that he's going turkey hunting though!

So with newbie’s. Do you still recommend xtra full chokes or is it wise to step down a little? I doubt the two 10 year olds I’m taking are good past 30 yds and I feel we will be patterned pretty tight. 20ga 3” #5 mag loads

I would pattern it and see. If the pattern with the opener choke is still getting plenty of hits in the Turkey head area, then I can see a slight advantage so the kiddo doesn't have to be quite as precise on the shot. But as a general rule, I always try to get the tightest pattern possible, so I would go with xtra full. Would suck to have a Gobbler strutting at 35-40 yards and won't come closer and kiddo can't take the shot or misses because the pattern is too loose. .

I would pattern it and see. If the pattern with the opener choke is still getting plenty of hits in the Turkey head area, then I can see a slight advantage so the kiddo doesn't have to be quite as precise on the shot. But as a general rule, I always try to get the tightest pattern possible, so I would go with xtra full. Would suck to have a Gobbler strutting at 35-40 yards and won't come closer and kiddo can't take the shot or misses because the pattern is too loose. .
Yeah. Patterned it yesterday and she did pretty good. We are sticking to it. Headed out soon. I appreciate it. Thank you

We were able to get into some this morning but it never came close enough for my son to feel comfortable shooting. With it being 80 degrees all of a sudden and the wind We called it a day. Will be up bright and early tomorrow for another shot hopefully.

My son smacked him first thing this morning. First turkey on his first turkey hunt. Great start too the year.

Screenshot_20240413_071216_Gallery.jpg

I am looking forward to a spring hunt like no other , and hopefully not as much wind ....
I am looking forward to you going turkey hunting lol.

Lots of birds in Wisconsin this morning but all around 100 yards.

My daughter at least saw and heard some this year. Heading back out in bit.

Took my older 2 girls out this morning. Was quiet off the roost. But was able to find and work a few groups of birds. 3rd set up worked like a charm. This one came in hot gobbling and strutting in fast!!!! Was a great day, seeing lots of wildlife and enjoying an awesome day with my girls. It was her first bird! Hope all is having a good weekend as also!

IMG_7025.jpeg

IMG_7012.jpeg

Lol just got a call from game and fish. Apparently some tree hugger called to report me and my son for cleaning out his turkey in our gargage. Gotta love people SMH.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom