Turkeys?

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Anybody seeing many? Just curious if anybody is finding them. My buddies up North have seen fewer birds than in years past but I guess that could be a result of winter kill? I was out shed hunting/scouting my favorite turkey spot in the North Gila again this weekend but haven't found a bird yet...driest I have seen in my spot for a couple of years and the only water hole in my area dried up this week. Good luck tomorrow and post some pics when you get'em.
-Cody

I saw a bunch on private land in units 30 and 32 during the barb hunt. If I lived closer, I'd be tempted to see if I could call one off the pl, but I'm certain a whole bunch of hunters have also seen the same ones and probably will be thinking along the same lines. Could be a war zone on the opener.

Otherwise, I've seen some tracks in my usual haunts, but I ain't seeing or hearing the actual birds at all. Last year at this time the gobblers were getting pretty vocal.

Just thought I would let you know that unit 30 and 32 are not open to turkey hunting, so I would hope that the area is not full of hunters.

Plenty of birds in my neighborhood. I got em talking this morning from my front porch! 44/45 Pecos area.

friends killed 3 opening morning but lost service before he said where they were at..

Thanks, that is good to know. Not that I'm willing to drive that far anyway, but for some reason I thought the whole state was open for turkeys...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-08 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-08 AT 09:45?AM (MST)

I saw three toms yesterday, but only one while I had a shotgun in my hand and I couldn't sweet talk him any closer than 80 yards. I eventually gave up because of the wind and started packing out elk sheds. Topped over a ridge with a load of elk sheds on my back and nearly stepped on two more...

My friend took this gobbler yesterday afternoon

480691ff59ee1597.jpg

...going be another two weeks B4 I can get back in there; until then, that freaking @#$% turkey ain?t going to have mozey to kick around...

same here..got whooped..they werent talking at all..unit 34 or 36..but we did jump a tom drinking at a stream..damn things are hard to hit when running..haha

Damn, at least you guys got out...I had to go to a wedding...and I caught the garter belt. Talk about a turkey, I think I'm in deep...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-08 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-08 AT 08:48 PM (MST)

heheh...serves you right choosing a wedding over hunting. Just hand over your man card... ;-)

...unless of course, it was you're own wedding. Then the Man Committee may just put you on probation, provided you didn't have a choice in selecting the wedding date...

No man, she drug me to her friend's wedding...AND she caught the bouquet...I don't even know where my man card is anymore...crap. Luckily she likes to hunt and get out almost as much as I do. But regardless, I'm gonna' do my best to cinch up my skirt and kill me a turkey this weekend!

I'll talk to the committee. Just need to make sure that you're killing a turkey this week by comparison doesn't make me look like an even bigger wuss and cause me to forfeit my man card...

Dang! I sure hope y'all haven't been dragged of to weddings or something--it's been awfully quiet in here today...hopefully, you're all out busting gobblers.

I was out trying to find gobblers down by the river. Didn't see or hear a damned thing. Just had to get out even though I know there aren't many down there. Did see a few fresh tracks....

Well, it's been two weeks since I've been able to chase that @#$%$#@ gobbler. Gonna finally get to get after him again tomorrow morning. See if I can still hold on to my man card. Hopefully, third time will be the charm...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom