Turn it in or??

predator

Very Active Member
Ok, so here's the deal. 4 weeks ago I crashed on my bike and partially dislocated my right shoulder, elbow and fractured the radial head. It's healing up ok, but so far I still cannot draw my bow.

In other words, I'm now over a month behind in practice for my LE hunt. I don't know when I might be able to pull it with the shoulder yet, as I'm told it could very easily re-dislocate.

So I'm getting quite nervous about my lack of skill and being able to practice to gain the confidence this tag deserves.

Should I turn in the tag and wait another year so I can focus 110 percent or just practice like crazy when I can (if I can)?

Pred

Damn, sorry to hear that, lisa. Thats a tough spot to be in, but my vote is to turn in the tag, i hate to say that but if you try to hurry or rush the rehab and practice, the chances of re-injuring, or further injury is pretty good. not worth it in my book. heal up real good and be ready for next year. MHO.

47aa8a9e202b0d9f.jpg

Did you draw out of the max points pool, or got lucky with the masses?

If its max points, and a theoretical lock for next year, than yes go with plan A.

+1 for tageater also.
Your confidence is already shot.

I'd focus on healing it and come back stronger that ever.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Turn it in. Archery and a messed shoulder... Too much risk. I hate even mentioning this option... but you probably could get ok'd for a crossbow on your hunt.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

Thanks for the comments, guys, I really appreciate it. I am working really hard to rehab this thing right now!

Fork- I don't have max, but I do have the amount of points at which most people seem to be drawing the tag.....that is why I put in for the unit, because the odds for the past 3 years said I should draw it.

I'm gonna pull that bow one more time this weekend, and then we'll try to make a decision!

Cow, I thought about that.....but I think you still have to pull a crossbow to lock it, yes? I dunno if I've even seen a person do it one-handed....

My neighbor is disabled and his crossbow that he uses has a crank that will crank back the bowstring so he doesn't have to pull it back all himself. It also has a foot hold so that you may be able to pull back one handed in a pinch.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

Thanks again, Cowslayer....if things go well, perhaps you and I will run into each other at Hunsaker's again....

In Utah you can only use a crossbow/draw-loc if the disability is PERMANENT. I would probably turn the tag back, but if you do, it would be nice for the 'new' drawee to get a heads ASAP.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

If you think you can draw the tag again in a year or two you should probably turn in the tag. If you are dieing to go on the hunt you can always shoot with your mouth. Your local pro shop can maybe direct you on ideas for equipment. Dwight Shue has a video out there where he shoots a big bull moose with a mouth release. Mouth release probably isn't the correct term as it looked like a piece of leather tied directly to the string below the nock. It also looked like pulling it back was a challenge. I am guessing he went to a lighter draw weight bow. holding the string in your mouth and pushing the bow out away from you to draw would have to be tough. It was on the outdoor channel a couple of years ago. He had surgery on his shoulder and didn't want to miss the hunt of a lifetime. If I remember correctly he also had to switch from a right to left handed bow for his shoulder. I have to tell you, he hit the moose bang on. I'm sure he spent a ton of time practicing.

Predator,

Instead of trying to pull the bow back and risk further injury, you might want to set up a pulley system with weight attached to a rope and start with a low weight (25 lb). Exercise with a similar motion as pulling back your bow a see what weight level you can get to without pain or pressure. If you think you are close to the minimum archery hunting draw weight you are comfortable with, you can continue to use this exercise to build yourself back up to you normal shooting weight.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-08 AT 04:10AM (MST)[p]Where you go to the gym alot and work out....they have a machine that alot of guys do lat pulldowns on but you can use it to pull back the one side and strengthen your draw arm/shoulder....by standing up and using just one side of the pull down

Maybe slam... can give ya the heads-up of what it is actually called.

As you know I have avoided my shoulder surgery since last Novembers big fall-n-roll-tear gig on the WF....slowly increasing my pull weights on that machine at the gym.

I am drawing and shooting my bow every other day now at normal draw weight.

Give yourself the month of July...if your not certain and shooting at normal...

Turn it in so the Aletnate list person can get some scouting in and be able to hunt...

You have other 'options' for drawing again next year....

Just a thought....

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-08 AT 04:45PM (MST)[p]OUCH! Tough break! Hope you are feeling better soon. That sucks - plus the trouble with the hunt must be frustrating. It looks like the most ethical thing to do is to turn the tag back in now so you can focus on your recovery and not rush it for a hunt. Plus it gives another hunter the time to scout and prepare too. Sometimes it is a Karma thing too - you give up something good in hopes of getting it back and maybe end up getting something better in the end! You can always hope for that! Who knows, maybe you decide to use the points to apply for an even more premium unit and draw that one next year and get a booner!

OR - you can be like Tiger and push through the pain and go for it this year! Of course, though, he would have been paid regardless if he had won or not just through endorsements and exposure. While on the other hand you could wind up re-injuring yourself, wounding an animal with a poorly placed shot and not being healthly enough to recover it and eating tag soup.

Hmmm - maybe discretion IS the better part of valor!

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

"Sometimes it is a Karma thing too - you give up something good in hopes of getting it back and maybe end up getting something better in the end"

Is your name Roy or are you really Earl? Hah

HEY Preddy!!!

DON'T LISTEN TO THESE GUYS!!!

THEY'RE LIKE A PACK OF WOLVES LOOKING FOR THEIR NEXT MEAL (TAG IN THIS CASE!!!)

YOU GOTTA QUIT BEING SO ACCIDENT PRONE!!!

YOU'RE STARTING TO SCARE ME!!!

GOOD LUCK & NEVER EVER GIVE A PERMIT BACK TO THE DWR!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I say quit being a wimp and keep the tag. You still have the whole summer to rehab. You don't need a 70 lb bow to kill anything if worse came to worse you could always lower the lbs and still fill your tag.

I broke my right elbow and separated my shoulder in 2004 6 weeks before the archery opener. I couldn't pull my bow back until the night before the opener I ended up killing my biggest buck to date a 27" 5x6 gross score 185" it was also featured in EBHJ

never give up
never look for excuses for not being successful
just make it happen

I agree with Bess, again..Wow...Never give the DWR a tag back...You can return the tag up to the day before the hunt, so play it out....If you simply can't do it, then yes, for you, turn the tag in...no refund, but the DWR will offer to someone else, who will also pay.....I won't start beyond that. You have 'till August 15th, right...

The first question is why are you riding your bike with a tag like that in your hand? Your situation is exactly why I sold my 100mph dual sport, quit jumping my mountain bike, stopped racing quads as fast as they could go and started to focus on what was really near and dear to my heart...HUNTING! I do feel your pain though, but as we get older we have to think about the 'what-ifs' in life. If I missed a season of hunting because of your situation, I would be one grumpy SOB.

Okay, I'm sure you understand now...buck up and get back on the pony and work your arrsss off to make it happen! You owe it to yourself (if you love hunting) to do whatever it takes to get back in shape. Go see a physical therapist to give you some appropriate exercises and get after it.

HK

GO HARD KORE OR DON'T GO AT ALL

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 00:16AM (MST)[p]WIMP???!!! WTF IS THAT??

1-Have you dislocated a shoulder before, mister?!! Cuz if you haven't, you don't know what the hell these guys are talkin' about.

2- Yer talkin' to the GIRL who chased mountain goats with a fractured femoral head, hunted elk with PleaseDear with a cast on one ankle, was flown off the mountain by helicopter during a muzzleloader hunt....klutz I may be, WIMP I AM DEFINITELY NOT, JERK.

*SMACK*

For the rest of youse guys, I turned the bow down as far as it would go, and was able to shoot 7 arrows before the pain made me stop....AND I put every group of 3 into a quarter sized area.

Feelin' much bettah!

As for what if...then I guess I'd better quit my job, or I might could get shot in the head.....

7 arrows.....try a few less to start out with and to sloooowwwwllly get your muscle group stronger again...maybe two arrows at a time....and tweek your draw weight up 1 full turn each week.....but go slow!!

Me and the 'mod' are off to BARETOP this week....me with more braces on than a freaking HMO billboard! ha

Robb

In the Blue corner from north of the Zion Curtain ( Utah County ) We've got swbuckmaster a mixed bowhunter and target shooting phenom.

In the red corner we've got poor crippled little Lisa
also from north of the Zion Curtain, master of - how should we say it - electronics and making big burly men assume the position and cry like baby's.

UFC rules will apply....LETS GET IT ON.

Give me 20 on the cop.

Well there you go - looks like you are on your way! Keep working up slowly until you can do seven at full weight! It only takes one!

I say Tiger up or Cowgirl up or whatever you say and go for it!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Lisa,
What do you think you are doing? And with a LE permit? LOL!
I've spilled my guts and now I hear you are contemplating giving up the tag? Come on, I think you had better just start working that shoulder slowly and getting ready for a dream of a hunt. Like the others have said, you have plenty of time (almost 8 weeks) to heal up and get to where you can shoot comfortably and confidently at the weight you need. Just keep positive and let's get 'er done!!
I wondered why you haven't answered my PM's. Hopefully you'll kick this thing and get on with the show!!
I'm confident you can do it!!!
Rick

UMMFC!! LOL, I can just see that now.

Let's see...a mule ear kimura, followed by a wapiti darce....that could be AWESOME. I guess I might have to be careful about a SHOULDER lock, huh? ROFLMAO

Rick, sorry bud, I thought I answered you?? Maybe I answered someone else???

Good Lord, I am BLONDE, fer cryin' out loud!

Pred,

Rehab that shoulder and quit getting hurt! At least for the next 8 weeks! You know how I feel about your situation. Confidence is 99% of Bowhunting. Give it some time. Set a date, If by that date, you do not feel confident, turn it in. If it all starts coming together, keep it and go shoot a dandy Pisscutter! If you need a "shooter" I may be able to lend ya a hand!!! See ya round.

Chad

Hey Chad, thanks...funny guy. I need a CALLER, not a shooter.....and a camp maitre'd, and game hauler, and general all-around foot massager,etc....

?WIMP???!!! WTF IS THAT???

Sorry pred I didn't know I was talking to a girl. I just didn't want to see you turn in a great tag. I want to see big silly grins with a tag filled.

?1-Have you dislocated a shoulder before, mister?!! Cuz if you haven't, you don't know what the hell these guys are talkin' about.?

I did dislocate my right shoulder and broke my right elbow in a mountain biking accident 6 weeks before the opening morning archery hunt. I still can't do a push up without a pain full grinding noise in my shoulder.

Even though we appear to have had the same injury if you injured your bow arm it is a totally different injury than what I had. It would be like me doing a pushup. I can't do them noir could I push a bow but I can pull anything back without the pain.

I hope you didn't injure your bow arm!

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Sorry Lisa, I had to offer! If I did not have tags conflicting you know I would come down and help! Heck, I still might be able too if I can get an arrow in my deer quick enough! I think you need a caller less than you need a nice quiet out of the way wallow! If you sit them, they will come eventually and you can't argue with a 15-20 yards shot at the bull of your dreams! Good luck and let me know what you decide.

Chad

Hey Lisa,
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you heal up fast enough to be able to go on your hunt. If you get a chance to check on those wallows I sent you I think you will like what you see. If sitting in a treestand doesn't work, try and talk antlerrick into coming up and calling for the day. I had the pleasure of hunting with him a few times and he sounds as good as the elk! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dave

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-08 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]Thanks guys! I'm actually up to 20 arrows a day, the shoulder is actually feeling ok, it's the elbow that's giving me fits. Just gotta bring the groups in a little tighter. I'm starting Friday 3D shoots at Beehive this Friday.

Went down over the weekend, and wouldn't you know it? I got poured on, and even spit snow a bit!! Greenringer, they could make a wallow anywhere right now, it looks just positively lush. I do appreciate the info, tho, anything helps since this is a very popular general season unit as well. I expect to have general archers all over the place, honestly, especially with how accessible it is.

Didn't see any bulls, but saw a maternity herd of about 250. Watched month-old calves play tag all over a hillside full of wildflowers while the sun set the hillside afire-it was awesome!

OH, and I do tend to be a wimp on some things....like my quad. :)

Hope Rick wasn't over on the Monroe (duh, like I'm sure he was), cuz it looked like it got pounded GOOD by that storm.

Pred

In 2005 I hunted 18 days and didn't see 1 other spike hunter where I was hunting. There were 2 guys camped next to me who were planning on hunting the same area and when they heard I had a bull tag they ended up hunting somewhere else so as not to disturb the area I was going to hunt. They even told me about some bulls they saw while deer hunting.

I didn't see any bulls there when I scouted in July, but they sure were there in September. I have a good guess as to where you saw the herd of cows and calves. I saw a big herd out there when I was scouting. Good luck and I hope your elbow feels better.

Hey Lisa,
I talked to Dave (Greenringer) today and he told me he was sending you GPS points for those wallows I was telling you about. I enjoyed hunting with Dave and we had a good time and he killed a nice bull. Like I was telling you, get off the road a few hundred yards and you will have it pretty much to yourself. The guy I helped last year who won the Fishlake archery tag at the Expo hunted the same area and never had any problems with other hunters either. He hunted one of the wallows I was telling you about and had quite a few bulls come in. Let me know if you think you will make it down this weekend.
Rick

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-08 AT 03:43AM (MST)[p]Well have ya healed up enough and got your strength back to head out and put an arrow in a dandy FL bull?

How exciting for you!

Robb

If I can keep my pin steady, I can only HOPE to be as good as you, Robb!

Heading out tomorrow...WOOHOOOO!!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom