Turret vs. No Turret

Sierra

Very Active Member
I'm thinking of buying a scope with a ballistic turret, but i wanted to get some input from some of you before i do so. For those that have one, how do you like it in hunting conditions? Do you prefer it over the traditional reticles? I assume you have plenty of time to dial-in since you would only need to do that at long distances.

I plan to put it on my 25-06 that will be used for antelope and deer.

Also, do any of you have any experience using a rail instead of scope rings? I have heard mixed things about rails. Are they as stable as rings?

Thanks!

Do it. I sight mine in for a 200-250 yard zero just like I would with a traditional scope, so you can shoot out to around 300 with no adjustments. if it's farther than that, you're likely to have time to range it and get all set up.

As far as rings go, get Talleys and don't look back!

2a0fcsk.gif

Yes I like the turret. It's fine in hunting situations. I'm not a fan of cut dials like a Leupold CDS dial. If you ever change powders, bullets or rifle it's worthless.

Yes love a turret as long as it has a cover so it doesn't get bumped while on the shoulder in brush. 25-06 sight in dead to 300 yards, then dial in at 425+

I only use a turret now.

MOA turret: range, calculate, dial, shoot (any load)

Yardage turret: range, dial, shoot (specific load)

Rings and rails are two different things. The rail is simply a one piece base that your rings attach to. I will always choose a one piece base over two pc bases.

You can leave your turret covered and set at 325 yards. That way any quick shots close and you got it covered. Generally with long shots . The animal is not alarmed and you have more time. We did a little experiment the last time we went out shooting. With one of our non turret guns that we have killed deer out to 600 yards. With steel out at 800 yards. With the turret gun. Range it turn the turret, ding. No problem! Now with the other we figure we can hold over enough to hit the steel. So with a little Kentucky windage first shot 20 feet low. Tried a few others with the same result. We couldn't hold it high enough to make any real difference. So your can get a turret gun and shot any way you want it. Of course we use a G7 range finder. Like said above altitude and pressure change your point of aim. A G7 adjust for this and calculates your correct hold over. Go for it and have some fun.

As said, use covered turrets if you get out of the truck or off the bench.
I know of someone who missed because his uncovered windage knob got rotated from rubbing on his coat.

Thanks for the information everyone. Does anyone know if the Swaro BT are "covered" turrets?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-15 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]To me, turrets are just one more thing that can go wrong! I watched my friend, a couple years ago, take a full 10 minutes to finally twist all the knobs, adjustments, rechecking the range, settling in, he took forever and still missed a standing deer at less then 200 yds.

My old 25-06 had a straight 6 Redfield on it and there was no messing around. See the buck, take gun off safe, kill the buck.

Nowadays, i do like the dots in the scopes that help when shooting 300, 400, or 500 yds. That's about as far as a guy wants to shoot big game with a 25-06 anyway. These dot systems are only good if a guy spends the time to practice, use his rangefinder to establish paper target range and then shoot the targets at those ranges to see how the various dots and the target impact point at the corresponding ranges coincide.

It's a easy to use system for moderate ranges on big game... "if" the practice work is done ahead of time. my $.02

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Turret all the way. Much more accurate than hold over dots or lines(I have both) and only takes seconds to adjust. I leave mine set at 300 and only have to adjust if it's 400+
Spend time practicing and you'll never look back

I've carried my Leupolds with CDS in scabbards and on foot elk and sheep hunting for 3 years they have not moved once. still I keep an eye on them, just like you would your fuel gauge. not a big deal.

My Nightforce has an uncovered windage knob, that I don't care for. but I haven't had it move either.

Obviously the MOA turret used with something klike the G7 is best, but if you just want to range and shoot to reasonable ranges the cut ones do a great job. if you change loads try it with the turret you have often the change won't matter, if it does spend a few bucks and get a new one. Leupold gets them to me within a week. again it's not a big deal.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Yes I like the turret. It's
>fine in hunting situations.
> I'm not a fan
>of cut dials like a
>Leupold CDS dial. If
>you ever change powders, bullets
>or rifle it's worthless.

They make CDS dials in MOA, far from worthless if you know WTF you're doing...

Foreman above in post #11 said, "... far from worthless if you know WTF you're doing..."

That's my view as well, "if you know what your doing". At my age i've Work responsibilities, health concerns, family issues, and several more concerns than wanting to learn to do something well that i already know real well how to do. That's being more than capable of killing the bucks that i want to kill.

Though i personally may be capable, i only want shots at big game well under 600 yards or i'll pass or maybe i'll be able to get closer.

You guys that got the turret systems, know them in and out like the back of your hand, and like them, great! I just don't believe that half these new scopes are being run by guys that, "know WTF you're doing" yet they are out there hunting believing that they have near unlimited rights and the magic tool to blast away at big game Way way out there over a 1000 yds where stupid stuff does happen.

I'll stick with what i know well, skip the learning curve, and some others maybe should have too because they never did the work, like know how much various wind currents across a canyon will effect a particular bullet's flight path far downrange, to really know what they're doing.

I realize that my vote on the issue will most certainly bring a strong run on the market but i vote... for hunting, "No Turret", it's not needed and is just that much less to worry about when the big boy that you been wanting, finally puts himself in a bad spot.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

"These dot systems are only good if a guy spends the time to practice, use his rangefinder to establish paper target range and then shoot the targets at those ranges to see how the various dots and the target impact point at the corresponding ranges coincide."

Dialing turrets is no different and no more work to get figured out. No need to buy a new turret cap either. Just zero the gun at 200 then zero the dial. Dial the turret till you're on at 400 and then 600, writing down the clicks. Use that info with an online calculator to print a drop chart and you're good to go. More than likely a guy with a BDC or dots reticle will also have a range card. The only real difference at that point is turning the dial vs holding over with a dot.
A yardage turret simply gets rid of the drop chart.

>>Yes I like the turret. It's
>>fine in hunting situations.
>> I'm not a fan
>>of cut dials like a
>>Leupold CDS dial. If
>>you ever change powders, bullets
>>or rifle it's worthless.
>
>They make CDS dials in MOA,
>far from worthless if you
>know WTF you're doing...

Okay let me rephrase my answer. I tried the Custom cut dials from Leupold. Has the yardage cut on the dial. THOSE are WORTHLESS if you ever switch powder, bullet, or even rifles for that matter. There is nothing CUSTOM about the MOA turret the scopes came with. Hope this helps you on what IMO I think is worthless.

I like a covered turret also. My current long range gun has a leupold LR scope on it, with a "custom" turret, made by your truly. Masking tape, a fine point sharpie, and some clear tape over the top :)

I was sure glad to have this setup when the buck I'd been chasing for 2 years showed himself @ 500 yards with 10 minutes left in my season
4332img20151103183715.jpg

2a0fcsk.gif

Someone spent ten minutes figuring what to turn his turret for a shot with a center fire rifle at less than 200 yards?
This dude is exactly what is giving long range shooting a bad rap! Anyone who needs a turret scope for a muzzle loader range has no business even attempting to play around with this type of equipment.....period.

Slam, the guy shoots off the bench 100 days a year. That's just about all he does is go to the range and see how well he can get his shooters to preform that day. Not just the turret but the power setting ring, the parallax adjustment, the level, the rest he was using, the yardage, back and repete. Just about the time i thought he'd go ahead and kill the buck, he didn't like his rest, moved, and started the checklist all over again. That's just what he's used to. How about kids, do they fall under your time limit too? :)

That particular buck didn't survive the second shot.

The last three bucks that i took at or near my limit were taken with scopes that had the yardage dots built in. All one shot kills, the farthest was 527 yds alongside Manney53 who was showing me some country. That year i spend many days with the equipment out shooting to learn the system and how it jived with my rifles pet loads.

I don't want to do a repete of those efforts, i don't need to, what i have works fine for the distances that i hunt.

Joey

Practice practice practice is definitely the key to learning any firearm set up, but I just cannot understand the need to twist a turret for a shot that should be a "zero".
Scratching my head....:eek:

Guess we have all over processed things from time to time. I've seen so many of my clients over the years rely way to much on "gadgets" that are supposed to make them better shots and being a fan of long range weapons, I totally get it. But to rely on a gadget for a shot that should be a "zero" and a "no brainer" is dangerous business. I had an elk client one year that was using a custom $7000 .300 Jarret with a nightforce scope and his maximum range that he was comfortable with was a mere 300 yds. Seems kinda silly to me, but I'm just too critical I guess ;-)

I can't understand the need to shoot from a bench 100+ days a year. Is he planning on shooting from a bench while hunting?

" Is he planning on shooting from a bench while hunting? "

No, he's more of a target shooter and gun nut than a hunter. I used to shoot competitively offhand at steel and a moving target shoot we called "running deer". I shot against lots of guys that were excellent shots on paper but would fall apart in the field with big game and this guy showed exact signs of that. I'd say more about precision bench guys and just how anal they can be when getting ready to shoot but it's not my game and there's others that could better comment on that.

There are lots of target guys out there that don't hunt big game at all. Myself, i always thought of me as more of a hunter that liked to shoot targets than a target shooter that occasionally likes to hunt. IMO, there is a difference.

Joey

If your asking me how well my scopes track up to a designated input, and the scopes ability to stay true on vertical climb, I would say horrible BEFORE I started leveling my scopes to the action. Eyeballing just won't work. LMAO

Reddog WTF difference does it make? if you can hit the gong every time to 1000 yards is a slight tracking issue a problem. even if one exists for that matter.

Most of us aren't Chris Kyle and we don't claim to be. we just want a fast effective way to shoot at extended ranges within reason. the turrets do an excellent job at that.

Speaking of Kyle, why do you suppose he used turrets if they suck? guess he didn't get the memo.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-15 AT 01:10AM (MST)[p]Tog,no doubt that my post sailed right over your head.but it is hilarious that your Imagination grants you enough Pretend,that you can dupe yourself into thinking you have a clue.funny stuff.

Tell yourself I've never seen a turret,then make another name drop.

no one that has tasted control of POA/POI via MOA/MIL (google it).swaps gears and says "nope...I'm goin' back to guessing".

It is however funny as ##### to hear those that think they have "arrived" flaunt their "new" technique as if they have mastered it, all the while not having the first ******** clue.

Remember years ago you telling me how dumb and unreliable dialing in was?

Told you so, and no need to reiterate what an incredibly slow learner you are

WTF are you sniveling about? don't take your fight with your boyfriend out on me.

A turret can be in several forms but they all require tracking and that's what you're pizzing and moaning about. I never said MOA didn't work if that's what you're trying to imply. and I damn sure never said a turret didn't work. get off the crack.

Get over yourself Quigley. the OP asked about a turret for hunting and the answer is yes, for his intended use they work well. we'll leave the killing deer at 3800 yards in a 35 MPH cross wind to the pros like you and your advanced methods we will never comprehend. hell my biggest regret is you wasting your time on lost causes like me when your godlike skill set could be taking our military sniper program to a new level. it's almost unpatriotic .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Guys, at the end of the hunt, turret or no turret, it matters not--who has the best of anything. Success is measured in the eye of the individual, not the majority. Preference is simply that--preference. Why fight over nonsense? Did Daniel Boone have a turret? The below picture is from my garage. No turrets were involved in the harming of these animals......(its not to say I wouldn't try one out. I just don't have time or the money to switch styles right now....
7587img0009.jpg

and another field photo..
6255img0873.jpg

If the OP is looking for opinions, here's mine:
Turrets for targets, hairs for hunting.

I'm not willing, at this point, to introduce another variable (turrets) into my hunting. I have lots of friends who swear by them so I know they work but I swear by the multi-dot or multi-hair and it works for me.

just my 2 cents,
Zeke

Reddog you've been hanging around the Fire too long your starting to sound just like Stick. The only thing I didn't hear was the one about the couch, he should sue you for plagiarism. It's too bad because both of you have a lot of knowledge that you could help out other shooters with but you're too busy belittling people.
To the OP it depends on what your intended use is. I'm a turret twister for big game. Most of the time I am hunting with the turret set for a 275-300 yard zero for a point blank no hold over range to 325-350 yards, just like I've hunted with for over 35 years. If a quick shot presents itself inside that range I am ready. If I find a shot I want to take beyond that range I take the time to range and dial, hopefully the animal will cooperate and as we all know that doesn't always happen.
I also have scopes with holdover stadia wires on the reticle. I just got back from a prairie dog shoot in Kansas and I used a Leupold VX 3 with the varmint hunter reticle and was very pleased with the way it worked. We were shooting any where from 100-400 yards in a 25-35 mile an hour crosswind. If I had to crank my turret up and down between shots it would have been very frustrating. That being said for precision at long range nothing that I have seen beats twisting turrets.
That's my opinion and you all know what they say about opinions.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-15 AT 00:18AM (MST)[p]Tog thinks i'm mad or something, I assure you I am not.I find rifle talk incredibly amusing, I'm laughing, not mad.

Talking rifles/ballistics is so amusing to me because it is incredible the amount of guys that willingly talk directly out of their collective asses, minus the first clue.

Everyone knows what i mean by that.Just think of some of the gun sales counter conversations you've heard, and there you go.

maybe I should give Tog some farming advice, hell I laid sod and grew a garden one time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom