Turtle hunt?

Been LMAO, very funny. It took only 2 days to reach the 100 post mark. Moosies longest post took over 2 weeks before it hit the 100 mark.

Gesh the Obsession, I'm getting a Restraining order tomorrow on the Lot of you !!!!!!

• [*] -Moosie
~~If you're going to walk on thin ice, Ya might as Well DANCE !!
WALK the TALK, Or shut the HECK UP !!

I like to post more on this, but i must get to my TA(turtlehunters anonymous) meeting. I'm sure i will see some of you there.

Looks like we got a lot of turtle hunters here! Anyone have a good recipe? Whats your favorite way to cook them? I've had turtle on the half shell but am looking for something different. Turtle soup?

Eat em like crayfish. Boil em up with lots of seasoning, and suck the meat right out of the shell. Or like eating a coconut. Spend 4 hours getting it open to watch everything inside fall to the floor on the finishing blow. Maybe an acetyline torch would do better to get them shells off?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-05 AT 11:06AM (MST)[p]
--------------------------------------------
Knifeboy says:

Hey Chef,
You got any good recipes for turtles?

--------------------------------------------

Turtle...
Sashimi
Sushi
Tempura
Sweet & Sour
w/ Black bean sauce

Red Thai curry
braised in Coconut milk
w/ ginger garlic scallion

enchiladas
tacos
ceviche

Kosher turtle!!

you could also just do like in Texas...
Marinate it and throw her on the grill!

I actually have had sea turtle soup as a young boy in Mexico.
(back when it was legal) Very delicious. They now make the
same soup with ray meat but it isn't the same. My family
owned fisheries back in the day in Mexico and I vividly
remember the "slaughter" days when the trucks would come in
full of live sea turrtles and they would fill the floors of
huge walk in refrigerated warehouses. We used to ride their
backs as little kids. True story.

BTW Knifeboy...congrats on your bow javelina! ;)

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I see that Moosie has been here two times .Could it be that he is a little worried that this post is absolutetly going to pass hiss nonsense post ?
264mag has stepped into the unkown . Watch out for retribution from the moosie boy
keep it going guy's . This has turned out to be a ton of fun .
There are many way's to cook a turtle . They do taste better than the flying livers that moosie is so proud to display .

BSHOT, TRY NOT TO MAKE THE MOOSIE MAD. HE MAY TAKE HIS TURTLE AND GO HOME. NEVER TO BE SEEN IN THESE PARTS AGAIN. DONT WANT THAT ON OUR MM/TURTLE LOVING RESUME. YD.

BUMP....

BUMP....

• [*] -Moosie

BUMP .... :)

Jimmy Crack corn..........

• [*] -Moosie

YES, YES, YES.... FINALLY THE MOOSE MAN IS AT A LOSS FOR WORDS. NEVER THOUGHT WE AT MONSTERMULEYS WOULD SEE THE DAY. I THINK WE COLLECTIVELY WORE HIS BUTT OUT. MOOSIE WE STILL LOVE YA MAN, DONT GO AWAY MAD. JUST KEEP ADDING TO OUR POST, ALL THIS GOOD HUMOR IS GOOD FOR A GUY LIKE YOU. PLEASE POST, YD.

The day you make me loose something to say is the Day I eat the Sky liver saying it's my "favorite" meal.

Yukon, remember, when this post pasts mine, And I know it will (Or dam better because it at least has some basis to it and Dam funny !!!!) I will still be second. How sorry is that *wink*. Now, If you'd like to continue let's take it to another post and Not ruine this post. (Which would probably be 3rd.. :) For this is truely the BEST post here I believe and have been laughing my "A" off !!!!

• [*] -Moosie

OK.... you win ?!?!?!

Yukon, Shhhhhhhhh.

• [*] -Moosie

Not trying to make the moosie mad . Just wondering if the F&G will put a limted entry area in the proclamtion next year . I have heard that they are looking to use minimum calibers in different area's . Something about being able to deliver a minimum of 750 ft lbs at the muzzle .

Suppose I should try to keep up with technoligy and find me a polaroid camera , anybody got one for sale ......cheap ?

i'm still here. too busy laughing my ass off to post. i emailed this thread to some of the guys i go on my now infamous turtle hunts with. we're gonna take a camera with us next time so you guys can get a real feel for the adventure.

Krusty.jpg

THE ONE THAT CHARGES AT CLOSE RANGE, NORMALY COMES OUT OF THE BRUSH WITH NO WARNING. THE DAMAGE THEY CAN DO IS BRUTLE. I KNOW SOMEBODY ON MM HAS SOME PICS OF WHAT KIND OF TRAUMA/CARNAGE THEY CREATE. TAKE ER EASY, YD.

I got one but its pretty gruesome. I think if I post the picture it might get removed. I'll email it to somebody thats got the balls to post it or just wants to see it.

I have a pretty gruesome picture also, but what's left of the guy is dressed in blaze orange, so I don't want to post it and take the chance of offending someone.

But here's video of the turtle taken shortly after the attack.

seaturtle.gif

The most feared turtle has to be them sneaky Snapper Turtles. They'll lie at the bottom of your favorite swimming hole and when you least expect it. BAM!!!! The got ya by the ding-a-ling. VERY VERY DANGEROUS

Well guys, this is the funniest post i've seen! I laughed at the kid with the Bong but you've out done yourselves on this one. Hell i almost believe some of that stuff!! Thanks for the laughs.

Bigole5

leatherback. my friend's border collie got into a tussle with one and ended up on the very bloody losing end of the battle.

snappers are mean, but they're slow so you can outrun them if you've got a good set of legs.

common box turtle is the most ferocious to humans. we had to air lift a guy to the hospital after he was mauled by one in a corn field. emptied his .30-30 into it and didn't even slow him down. the .338 win i was carrying for backup was the only thing that stopped that damn turtle.

Krusty.jpg

The last SNAPPER I got into it with cost me about 25 grand in a divorce and she didn't even draw blood! That was 10 yrs ago talk about longevity I think some of those ol cracks live forever.

Turtle hunting has seen it's glory days and we'll prolly never see them again and as usual you can blame it on Hollywood. It really sickened me when the h-wood liberals took on turtle hunters by making 4 "heroes" out of the most vicious, vile predators in the lower 48.

Just give them noble names like Donatello, Michelangelo or Rafael and next thing you know they're heroes in a half shell. I'll never forget the rage I felt when I first saw my young son wearing a turtle cape running aroung yelling "TURTLE POWER" Made me wanna puke!! I sat junior down and told him the story of how his great grandpappy was nearly eaten alive by these so called heroes and there is a reason ranchers and settlers nearly wiped out these vermin.

H-wood changed my young son and now he won't be passing on our turtle hunting heritage.

$25,000.00 man , she didn't draw blood . Musta bled a little to make ya wona git rid of it !
GJM , be kerfool ,vury , vury kerfool

I AM ALWAYS AMAZED OF THE NUMBER OF NEW MEMBERS ON THIS SITE. IT JUMPED TO 7052 AT LAST COUNT, I BET THERE ARE A FEW TURTLES SNEAKIN IN HERE....... JUST TO SEE WHATS UP. YD.

According to Terri Pin who wrote the best selling book entitled "Everything You Wanted To Know About Turtles But Were Afraid To Ask", it appears that 264Magnum is correct.

The Box turtle is the most dangerous turtle to humans. Earliest recorded history shows that hunters would build rock enclosures along turtle migration routes. If a turtle was not instantly killed, which was often the case, the rock enclosure (or "box" as it became known after the first White men arrived) afforded some protection. Hence the name "Box" Turtle.

Some speculate that is why, to this day, many whitetail deer hunters hunt from "box blinds". They are a carry over from the old turtle hunting days!

P.S. I can't take much more of this!:)

Just wanted to get this back to the top of the list. For some reason i would love to see a post on turtle hunting beat the LONGEST POST HERE.

OK we've all joked and had some fun with this whole turtle thing but there is a much more serious issue that has not being addressed. As seen in some of the pictures posted they can be very dangerous but there is much more of a threat in another way. Over that past decade the turtle has moved west from its traditional range in the eastern United States and is now displacing the mule deer in its historical range. There are several substantiated reports of the 2 species cross breeding. This can not be good for either !

We've seen what happened when the Coues deer crossed with the Javelina (the Coueselina) and the problems that has caused in southern Arizona....
Coueselina.jpg

Now we have what biologist are calling the Deertle.... this can not be good!
turtlegrass.jpg

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

great pics DK. i've got 47 bonus points accumulated for coueselina. i think that's enough to get one of the primo LE tags. what unit should i go for?

Krusty.jpg

B_F_E, just hold your breath and push real hard, that oughta take care of that nasty little turtle beak.

Krusty.jpg

"For some reason i would love to see a post on turtle hunting beat the LONGEST POST HERE."

Great to have BIG goals in life ....

• [*] -Moosie

With 47 bonus points you are have a very good chance at coueselina tag, I wish I was in your shoes but will probably never live long enough to draw another tag. That picture was from one I took in 34A on the south end of the Santa Ritas near the Mexican border. Just this past December I saw several herds of them while hunting Coues. I'd be glad to share some maps with you if you draw a tag. Good luck in the draw, let me know!

well once again muley hunters couldn't do it because it requires getting to close to your target!
dan

Hey Deerking,
Im calling BS on that Cousalina pic.
I dont think that the body of a
Cousalina could get that big. :)
Now I will give it to you on the
Deertle though, i heard
those suckers can gross
around 200 points.
Can you imagine ticking one of
them off, not only will he charge
you and knaw on you,
but now they can harpoon as well.
I was wondering if you score the
antlers and the plates on this new
breed, or just the plates on his back?
any info on this new scoring process
will be much needed and appreciated.

Knifeboy

Knife
I do not have the smarts or the technology to alter photos and I resent your comment :) I have to admit I didn't think there was a critter out there dumb enough to crossbreed with a Coues but who knew?

As far as scoring, you bring up a good question. It is not recognized as a species by B&C yet but maybe SCI has something on them.

TurtleQuest Hunt Consulting

I have a dilemma. I put myself and everybody I know in for a turtle tag this year because I heard it would be really fun to hunt them. My aunt's father's daughter's 14-year-old boy drew a tag this year and now I don't have a clue where to take him, because I've never scouted this unit before.

Despite the fact that my adding all of these applications to the draw made it terrible odds for the rest of you diehards to get a tag, will you please help me out by giving me some advice on where to go?

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

I have never been lucky enough to draw a turtle tag, but I did draw for Iguana a few seasons back. (white shirt and tie required)

42d50f7d.jpg

Maybe one of these years I'll live the dream................

I heard on the news today that B&C recognizes any and all turtle entries no matter how, who, when, where, why they were killed. They even stated a "pick up" could be entered to topple the current world record. Seems as if the hunting is too dangerous and they just want to give credit to these magnificent animals.

"...upon further review of the current policies pertaining to record book turtle, there have been changes that our panel is eager to imply. The rare and dangerous turtle entries that are being entered into the books these past few years has diminishedin number. We credit the fear amongst hunters of this species as a major factor of low entries..."

"...hunters are just turning away from what many consider suicide..."
-----------
In other news- Somewhere in Louisiana, USA-

Bubba is happy to say that he is excited as all else to enter his huge turtle trophy that up to this point has not been recognized by the B&C record book. "WTF is the only one that gave me credit on my turtle mount that I stole from my girlfriends second cousin Daryl's Momma." He said.
-----------

Chef

Hey guys, I just got drawn for the coveted Unit 9 Turtle tag. First time I ever put in. I don't know the unit 'cause I've never been there and I can't get there to scout before the season opens, not looking for any honey holes, can someone just point me in the right direction.......

Leave it to DK to be on top of the latest turtle situation here in the west.:)

AndymanSavage, Very nice Iguanas! But you know what they say:

Iguana <--------"poor mans turtle"

bldgr10, I think you would have better luck asking the GPS cordinates of the next world record non-typical mule deer, than asking where a hot spot would be for turtles! I guess it can't hurt to ask though.:)

Steve

Now this thread post on Turtle Hunting is worth responding too, just plain funny and some first class Trophy's as well. Keep up the good work fellas, and take this to the 300 mark and no one will pass it up. LOL

Brian

Just joined and wow, what a site and this subject is funny. Is it like this all of the time?

hey deerking nice pics i also like the (TurtleQuest Hunt Consulting) at the bottom nice touch keep the pics coming

hey bldgr10. so you're the one that got my unit 9 tag? i've been scouting that unit for years and know all the honey holes. check the area northeast of whozawatsit canyon. be careful up there. it's rough country and the turtles have been known to team up and set up ambushes.

Krusty.jpg

Is there a turtlelina? Is a 270 enough gun? Will it fit in my Eberlstock just one pack? Are schness boots a good call?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-05 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p] POST 144, BY SHURSHOT...... THIS IS BULLCHIT. THE VERY REASON THE REST OF US CANT DRAW A TAG. OH YEA WITH THE POINT SYSTEM WE CAN DRAW EVERY 7-8 YEARS. THIS SUCKS BIG,.... GET A ROPE.. HE SWINGS. YD. (PUTTIN HIS WHOLE FAMILY IN FOR TAGS).

Man I am just sick. As I read this post I finally learned that there is now a record book for the turtle, and now to know that a truck kill can be used as record book status. I am so dissapointed in myself as just the other night coming down the highway, I slammed into what I assumed was a large half shelled rock and dang near lost my life in the insuing crash. After being carted away to the ER, I spoke with the investigating office who told me that what I had hit was an enormous possible record book turtle. He said that in the time it took him to call and get a truck and lift to go back and retrieve the monster, someone had stopped and hauled my prize off themselves! (turtle thieves). Upon talking to the local wildlife officials, they have told me that I must have the animal in my possession in order to claim entry into the record book. Would whoever stole my trophy turtle please fess up???
I have waited my whole life to have an entry in any record book, and to have it stolen from right under my car, is tearing me up? Can anyone help me???

A bad day hunting TURTLES is better than a Good Day at Work!!

WELL IT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE IN SHOOTING RANGE OF MOOSIE'S POST ON NUTTIN. HE'S NOW IN OUR CROSSHAIRS, WHO GETS TO PULL THE TRIGGER??? ONLY 20 OR SO POST TO GO. YD.

Oh, it's not just my family. It's everybody I know and even some I don't! You think the Boy Scouts are having troubles with their registration issues. You should see how many Shots were in the draw this year...

SureShot
BigShot
LittleShot
GoodShot
NiceShot
BadShot
BabyShot
AmazingShot
WhataShot
GimmeAShot
IneedaShot
LousyShot

BWAHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!

THE ONLY sureshot THAT'S SURE HE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH AN IDENTITY CRISIS AROUND HERE. :)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-05 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]sureshot you lefted out the wife aka misstheshot just thought i would remind you

As ol' Moosie would say, "Let's get er done"!!

Lets go over the top and let's not do it at a "turtle's pace"!

If we just get all the "shots" to post, looks like we'd be pushing it pretty hard!!

A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

SureShot,
Did you miss TakaShot, or did he quit hunting all together?:)

I heard that the Arizona auction turtle tag went for $175,000! Man, if I had known they were going to let it go that cheap, I damned sure would have bid on it. I always miss out!

Just got back from my latest Turtlehunter Anonymous meeting. Guess i can't wear green anymore...just fuels the fire.

>SureShot,
>Did you miss TakaShot, or did
>he quit hunting all together?:)
>
>
>I heard that the Arizona auction
>turtle tag went for $175,000!
>Man, if I had known
>they were going to let
>it go that cheap, I
>damned sure would have bid
>on it. I always miss
>out!

anyone know if the lucky tag holder will be using the turtle crazy crew? they seem to have the best track record out west. but my very own Oklahoma Reptile Safaris still has the midwest. our oklahoma auction tag went for $120,000, but we don't have the same genetics as arizona.

Krusty.jpg

I am new to turtle hunting but very excited about it. I would like to learn some calls to get one of the big ones to come in. So you veterans, what kind of call do you recomend. Is there a good tape with turtle vocalizations on it?

TerrapinMan

TerrapinMan
I've had great luck calling in bull turtles with a cabbage in distress call. Also for beginners I'd recommend the Hyper Lip Dandelion call. Both these work very well in the Spring when their primary diet consists of vegetation. Best of luck.

Don't forget about rattling turtle shells together. This brings em to ya, but watch out because it seems to really rile them up!

Cripes, how many turtles did she eat? She must have a good turtle hunter for a husband to keep her in meat.

That is a thread killer for sure.

You guys aren't going to believe this! I just got off the phone with some guy from back east (Indiana, I think) wanting information about turtle hunting. He was bragging about all the out-of-state hunting he does and said he had built up enough points to draw this year. I told him he needed at least 40 points to draw a good unit, and he mentioned something about a lawsuit on Federal ground, brought about by GTO (Great Turtle Outfitters) that was going to increase the odds for NR's. He went off for 1/2 hour about how he was entitled to hunt anywhere he wanted as he was a citizen of the US.

Just as I was about to hang up on him, he started whining about not being able to find anyone to hunt with him so he would be going alone. I about blew 7UP out my nose! The thought of someone hunting these things alone is crazy! After I quit laughing he said he was dead serious and that he had done it before on some tough hunts, the last being a bison hunt. When I asked him how that hunt went, he got really quiet, let out a few profanities, and slammed the phone down.

I don't think these guys from back east know what turtle hunting is all about. Could you imagine someone going out there alone? We'd never hear from them again! Climb back in your heated treestand boys, this ain't couesalina hunting...

BUGLELK...

That guy sounds familiar but I can't recollect the guys name...

Something like..

TIM?
WIM?
HIM?
BIM?
KIM?
DIM?
JIM?

It's in my head just can't think of the guys name!!

Chef
"I Love Turtles...They're Delicious!"

There is no doubt we are dealing with dangerous critters. Anyone who thinks about hunting these alone would be a fool and had better reconsider. I was out videotaping some sheep this past summer and by luck happened to catch about 30 seconds of these turtles in action. I have pulled a few frames from the video...

As you can see these turtles are very stealthy and sometimes hunt in packs...
stalked.jpg

The sheep caught sight of them or winded them and they took off with the turtles in hot pursuit...
scaredsheep.jpg

But they underestimated the speed of the turtles and the slowest sheep was dragged down and killed.
turtlekill.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-05 AT 12:02PM (MST)[p]I've been working on a turtle mount this last week. It's a life-size diorama of an african turtle bringing down a cape buffalo. While fleshing the hide I came accross several large caliber slugs in the skin that had been there for quite sometime. Not only are these animals extremely dangerous, but very hard to bring down. Be sure of a clean shot. You do not want to be around a wounded turtle. I'd rather try to steal a cub grizzly suckling on it's mama than have a wounded, charging turtle coming at me.
The hunter told me that when they gutted the turtle, they found lion claws and teeth inside it's stomach, along with 2 natives.

DK Just how did you sruvive such a vicious assult? I have heard they these predators hae such a varacious appetite that they'll take 2-3 animals at a time.

Glad your still with us

crextin
Thanks for your concern. Lucky for me I had the wind in my favor and turtles have bad eyesight. I could have easily been a segment on "When Wild Animals Attack" had weather conditions been a bit different.

You guys that can hunt turtles are SOOOOO LUCKY!!! Here in Kollyfornia we have not been able to hunt them for years.
Even when one of these viscious beasts comes into the city and eats our cats and dogs, or God forbid ocassionally attacks a jogger or mountain biker we can not respond in force. Our only hope is someday to draw a coveted out of state tag.
Still dreamming about that day.

buckchaser
(someday turtlechaser)

I can't believe there are 180 posts on this subject and not one mention of anyone going for the grand slam of north american turtles. I know it's a rich man's game given the cost of a stone turtle hunt in BC but surely someone must be saving their nickels and dimes to complete this quest? I have a 3/4 slam and am just waiting to draw for the desert somewhere in Mexico or the southwestern USA

DK,
Don't be surprised if National Geographic gets ahold of you and wants to buy your footage of the turtles taking down that ram. Make sure they pay big time! How could you even put a pricetag on it, considering the risks?

I think I seen somewhere that there is a new turtle video coming out...Think it was called "turtles gone wild". It said it was not to be viewed by anyone under 14, as there are a lot of graphic scenes of rut crazy, blood thirsty turtles, displaying a lot of their anatomy!!! LIke naked shells and things!!

THE GRAND SLAM OF TURTLES..... THERE IS A INTERESTING GOAL. BUT WHICH 4 TURTLES MAKE THE SLAM, HATE TO POP THE WRONG ONES. WE KNOW IT WILL START WITH THE DANGEROUS BOX T., THE FEARED SNAPPING T., HELP ME OUT HERE....... YD.

YD,
I'm going to guess the GREEN GHOST over here in the Pacific Northwest as one candidate for the Grand Slam

Any others?

African Bull Turtle just got added to the big five...

...now known as the BIG SIX in Africa!

Chef

Sorry Eelgrass, the western green turtle is a dinky-dog rat turtle and isn't even considered a game animal by B&C. SCI has a record book on them, but that's it. If you want the Grand Slam, you have to have the Red-eared Slider (Texas/Mexico), the Box Turtle, the common Snapper, and the Alligator Snapper. Good luck with the latter, they are the Grizzly Bear of the turtle pond...

This guy was wading out to retrieve a wounded snapper and now he posts on a support page for amputees...
http://www.talkaboutsupport.com/group/alt.support.amputee/messages/5640.html

David Carroll, who beached a common snapper in order to draw an accurate picture of it, writes, "A snapping turtle cornered on land, or in shallow water with no escape route, will keep turning in a tight circle to face any challenger, with neck and legs set for a strike and jaws slightly apart. These creatures will not back down," (page 27). On the other hand, Pritchard says, "When handled, the alligator snapper does not make violent striking movements like the common snapper, but stays remarkably still with the mouth wide open...though it does stretch round to bite any part of its handler that is held within reach," (page 497).

References
Carroll, David, The Year of the Turtle, Camden House Publishing, 1991.

42016afa7f6cce78.jpg

the leatherback needs to be on the grand slam. common snapper has nothing on a pissed off leatherback. and i've got a box turtle honey hole if anyone wants to trade info for a desert hunt.

Krusty.jpg

LOL Chef.....the BIG 6

The Green Ghost is not eligable for the Grand Slam?????? How come I always have to go out-of-state to do any quality hunting?:) Well OK. I can only afford to do so much so ...........sorry Mr. Mule Deer

This day should be made a national holiday. eelgrass made the post to officially put the turtle post over the top of the LONGEST post here.

USO has pissed me off now!! George is trying to corner the market on our coveted Elk tags but now George has now filed suit to garnish more Arizona Turtle Tags!

Arizona G&F will be holding meetings state wide concerning this issue. Please attend and let it be known that this is not acceptable!

I found the best way to harvest turtles is with a power lawn
mower! My only take was 40 yrs ago and my friends still get mad at me for the bright idea I had of mowing his backyard grass with a mower so we could find it!
(he was very tame just could not find him in the tall grass!!)
I still remember it, it was like running the power mower over a fire log! took the first 3" clean off!!
JACK

here's a pic of oklahoma's feared smooth softshell turtle. aka: trionyx mutica, aka: leatherback aka: william h bonney.
Smooth_softshell_turtle.jpg

when i was looking for this pic, i found this interesting little tid-bit of information.

"Softshells can breathe (at least in part) through the anus when submerged. The highly vascular folds of the cloaca are able to absorb oxygen from the surrounding water, which can be flushed in and out of the anus."

bet ya'll are scared of them now.

Krusty.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom